mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2022-07-19, 14:43   #1
JuanTutors

"Juan Tutors"
Mar 2004

571 Posts
Default Exponent unreserved

I had an exponent unreserved that I had on the backburner because I downsized the number of computers that were working. The things is that actually was still doing work on it, specifically doing TF while one of my current exponents finishes it's work. I also did a ton of P-1 work on it and mersenne.org (prior to v30.8) didn't show a countdown to it being unreserved at any point. Shouldn't that be prevented with no warning when activity is being submitted such as TF?

//EDIT: Here is the exponent: https://www.mersenne.org/report_expo...ll=1&ecmhist=1

Last fiddled with by JuanTutors on 2022-07-19 at 15:07
JuanTutors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-19, 15:08   #2
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

44258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanTutors View Post
...Not sure if I should post the exponent here but I can.
If you unreserved it at mersenne.org then there is no need to post it here. It simply goes back into the mix as being available again to someone else.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-19, 15:16   #3
JuanTutors

"Juan Tutors"
Mar 2004

571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
If you unreserved it at mersenne.org then there is no need to post it here. It simply goes back into the mix as being available again to someone else.
I meant that it expired.
Old 2022-07-19, 18:32   #4
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

1001000101012 Posts

Quote:
I meant that it expired.
Same result. It goes back into the pile.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-19, 18:37   #5
JuanTutors

"Juan Tutors"
Mar 2004

571 Posts

I am not asking where it goes. I am actually asking whether the exponent should have been unreserved or expired to begin with considering that I have been submitting factoring results, and whether a policy change is in order for people who are submitting tf work on an exponent that is reserved to them.
Old 2022-07-19, 18:42   #6
slandrum

Jan 2021
California

5·7·13 Posts

Quote:
I am not asking where it goes. I am actually asking whether the exponent should have been unreserved or expired to begin with considering that I have been submitting factoring results, and whether a policy change is in order for people who are submitting tf work on an exponent that is reserved to them.
The TF work wasn't submitted under the assignment ID. No updates to the PRP assignment were submitted since 14 Jun 2021, over a year before the assignment was expired. The TF results being submitted weren't ending the assignment, but weren't preserving it either. You could have periodically checked in on the PRP assignment just to keep it reserved.
slandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-19, 23:15   #7
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

25·3·71 Posts

The last PRP assignment update by JuanTutors was 2021-06-14.

After more than a year of no progress or updates for the PRP assignment, the server judged it abandoned, marked it expired 2022-06-16, more than 15 months after issue, and assigned it to someone else 2022-06-17. I believe that is correct server function.

The nearly 3% PRP progress made by JuanTutors was a waste as a result of over a contiguous year of inaction on the PRP assignment. This loss could have been avoided by running the PRP assignment for perhaps half a day per month to report in a bit of progress occasionally.

In most cases, a PRP assignment ought not be made on hardware that will not complete it within a year. A good new laptop ought be able to complete a 100Mdigit PRP in ~4 months; a good DP performance GPU in ~2 weeks.

TF effort performed by JuanTutors from 81 to 83 bits was to excess bit levels, largely a waste of ~4417 TF GHD. See https://www.mersenne.ca/exponent/332602913 (That's ~2 days of a fast TF GPU, or one of a very fast TF GPU. TF should only be done on GPUs these days, not on CPUs.)

P-1 performed was to inadequate bounds, also somewhat a waste. (A sufficient set of bounds could have been run in a fraction of a day on a good DP performance GPU such as a Radeon VII, providing a greater probability of finding a factor than the day or more of excess TF did. Or could now be done more efficiently than before with recent improvements in prime95 V30.8.)

Even if TF or P-1 unassigned work counted as updates on an assigned PRP assignment, which they don't, there was a gap of more than a year between the P-1 result and TF result to 82 bits.

There are times when it is advisable to perform TF or P-1 or both on the assigned exponent before spending a lot of effort on a PRP assignment. (Such as when TF was not completed to recommended levels, or P-1 not completed to adequate bounds. Inadequate bounds P-1 first is a waste and is to be avoided. That is well known, and confirmed by RDS among others.) But submitting TF or P-1 results on an exponent does not count as update or progress on the PRP assignment. Just like turning in history homework does not placate the art teacher.

The PRP assignment was lost to severe and sustained neglect at best. And apparently lack of understanding of handling independent results independently on a given exponent.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-07-19 at 23:25
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-20, 01:31   #8
JuanTutors

"Juan Tutors"
Mar 2004

10001110112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
P-1 performed was to inadequate bounds, also somewhat a waste. (A sufficient set of bounds could have been run in a fraction of a day on a good DP performance GPU such as a Radeon VII, providing a greater probability of finding a factor than the day or more of excess TF did. Or could now be done more efficiently than before with recent improvements in prime95 V30.8.)
But I have a CPU and I ran P-1 in March 2021 with no ability to predict the future existence of v30.8. And there's literally nothing wrong with doing more than required, just for fun, which is why most people run the software, right?

Quote:
TF effort performed by JuanTutors from 81 to 83 bits was to excess bit levels, largely a waste of ~4417 TF GHD.
But again, better than not doing the work given my specific access to technology and preferred work preferences, right?

Quote:
In most cases, a PRP assignment ought not be made on hardware that will not complete it within a year. A good new laptop ought be able to complete a 100Mdigit PRP in ~4 months; a good DP performance GPU in ~2 weeks.
And it's great when that can be predicted, but with a testing time on the same order as the life of a computer used normally, going to sleep, shut off, P95 stopped for big tasks, etc, is a 4 month turnaround or a 100% single-computer completion rate realistic?

Quote:
The PRP assignment was lost to severe and sustained neglect at best. And apparently lack of understanding of handling independent results independently on a given exponent.
Of course I didn't understand that submitting TF results wasn't enough. Hence, the existence of the original post. How could I know that TF submission wasn't enough without running into that situation unless told somehow? For that matter, why would you say "severe and sustained neglect" given that I diligently made sure to go to colab to run TF for a few hours every day?

Honestly, not sure what made some of the members of this forum so rude. I regret posting here almost every time.