Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2020-11-14, 17:52   #111
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

7×857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firejuggler View Post
Ah, the Chernobyl coud... stopped at the frontier between Germany and France.
<snip>
Gov did deny that the Chernobyl radioactive cloud ever entered France, and no special measure were ever taken
And then, twenty years later... Ex-French nuclear chief charged over Chernobyl cover-up
Quote:
Paris (AFP) May 31, 2006
The former head of the state-run French body monitoring radiation was charged Wednesday with "aggravated deceit" over the alleged cover-up of the effects of the May 1986 Chernobyl disaster on France.

Pierre Pellerin, 83, was charged by magistrate Marie-Odile Bertella-Geoffroy after four hours of questioning, his lawyer Georges Holleaux said, while adding that he was only a witness for the main accusation of causing "involuntary harm."

An experts' report leaked at the end of last year said that the state-run Central Service for Protection against Radioactive Rays (SCPRI), which Pellerin headed, knew of high levels of contamination in Corsica and southeastern France but kept the details under wraps.
<snip>
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-14, 17:59   #112
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

3×2,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
That's amazing. An excellent learning tool. Of course, the NRC (Nuclear Regulatory Commission), would never allow such a thing here in the U.S.
For 1MW in downtown Madison WI, see https://reactor.engr.wisc.edu/
I recall standing on top of it and looking down into the pool while it was off. It was at times included in the Engineering Expo tour, if memory serves.
The Madison campus has lots of interesting stuff, including a shock tube and multiple plasma research machines (MST, HSX, Pegasus, etc). A building near where I used to work (formerly containing the "Neutron source") had substantial tritium contamination remaining after the decommissioning and decontamination, although the 13 year half life is helping that. When the Synchrotron Radiation Center was closing and Aladdin being decommissioned, after 30 years service as a shared light source, two employees had as among their responsibilities, identifying, tagging, and segregating for special handling, dangerous chemicals, and radioactively hot materials and components.
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-15, 00:16   #113
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

2×3×389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
For 1MW in downtown Madison WI, see https://reactor.engr.wisc.edu/
I recall standing on top of it and looking down into the pool while it was off. It was at times included in the Engineering Expo tour, if memory serves.
The Madison campus has lots of interesting stuff, including a shock tube and multiple plasma research machines (MST, HSX, Pegasus, etc). A building near where I used to work (formerly containing the "Neutron source") had substantial tritium contamination remaining after the decommissioning and decontamination, although the 13 year half life is helping that. When the Synchrotron Radiation Center was closing and Aladdin being decommissioned, after 30 years service as a shared light source, two employees had as among their responsibilities, identifying, tagging, and segregating for special handling, dangerous chemicals, and radioactively hot materials and components.
I'm pleased to see that I was incorrect.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-15, 01:00   #114
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

2·4,259 Posts

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...e-father-says/
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-15, 14:35   #115
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

135578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Oof. Sad story.

I remember seeing something on TV years ago about some kid who had a fusion reactor in his (parents') garage. He seemed to know exactly what he was doing.

I was unable to track down the program I saw it on, but I believe the kid was Taylor Wilson. He built his fusion reactor in 2008 at age 14. Later, got to meet President Obama. He also received a $100,000.00 Peter Thiel grant.
Old 2020-11-15, 17:57   #116
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

2×3×389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
...I remember seeing something on TV years ago about some kid who had a fusion reactor in his (parents') garage. He seemed to know exactly what he was doing.

I was unable to track down the program I saw it on, but I believe the kid was Taylor Wilson. He built his fusion reactor in 2008 at age 14. Later, got to meet President Obama. He also received a $100,000.00 Peter Thiel grant.
Cold fusion or hot fusion?
Old 2020-11-15, 19:10   #117
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

7·857 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
...I remember seeing something on TV years ago about some kid who had a fusion reactor in his (parents') garage. He seemed to know exactly what he was doing.

Cold fusion or hot fusion?
Yes.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.) Hot, of course. His device turned hydrogen into a very hot plasma. It actually caused some of the hydrogen to fuse into helium. (I don't remember whether he had added deuterium.)

Of course, the thing used way more energy than came from the small amount of fusion that occurred. He knew that. Like I said, he seemed to know exactly what he was doing.
Old 2020-11-16, 18:17   #118
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

2·3·389 Posts

Quote:
...Of course, the thing used way more energy than came from the small amount of fusion that occurred. He knew that. Like I said, he seemed to know exactly what he was doing.
Consuming more power than they create is an ongoing problem. Someday perhaps...
Old 2020-11-17, 15:42   #119
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

44368 Posts

I watched a YouTube documentary last night about Windscale in Great Britain. The British felt the U.S. should share their nuclear tech because the crew at Los Alamos included a few British scientists. This did not happen.

They built Windscale to manufacture Plutonium for their first bomb, which would have been similar to the "Fat Man" bomb used by the U.S. on Nagasaki. They make their bomb and test it. A few days later, the U.S. tests its first hydrogen device. The British wanted the same. In addition to Plutonium, they now needed to make Tritium. The U.S. and U.S.S.R had signed an agreement to end all testing by a certain date. The British had to rush their process.

The shorter the time became, the more desperate they were. Their pair of reactors were air-cooled graphite-moderated. The first reactor became unstable. Then came the fire. They tried using water to put the fire out. Very dangerous and did not work. They managed to put the fire out by suffocating it.

Their decommissioning and cleanup is expected to go beyond the year 2040. IMHO, the only place graphite should be in a nuclear power station is in the pencils on people's desk's.
Old 2020-11-17, 17:02   #120
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

7×857 Posts

Quote:
I watched a YouTube documentary last night about Windscale in Great Britain.
Hmm. The fire was in October 1957. Interestingly (at least to me), the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament began the very next month. The Wikipedia page on CND makes no mention of the Windscale fire. The Wikipedia page on the Windscale fire does not indicate when its occurrence became public knowledge, but it does say the original government report (Penney Report) was heavily redacted when first issued, and was not fully released until 1988.

As part of its campaign, the CND came up with what is now universally known as the "peace symbol."
Old 2020-11-17, 18:02   #121
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

2×3×389 Posts

Quote:
Hmm. The fire was in October 1957. Interestingly (at least to me), the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament began the very next month. The Wikipedia page on CND makes no mention of the Windscale fire. The Wikipedia page on the Windscale fire does not indicate when its occurrence became public knowledge, but it does say the original government report (Penney Report) was heavily redacted when first issued, and was not fully released until 1988...
The British PM at the time decided to bury the report. He had just made a deal with Eisenhower about the sharing of nuclear technology. The doc I watched included short snips from the filming of Penney's investigation. As with the report, it was decades before any of the video was released. Some may never have been.