mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

View Poll Results: How long before we can 'shake hands' with the first AI?
Whaddoya mean: 'How long'? I'm am already here posting, buffon! 2 12.50%
10 years 2 12.50%
30 years 9 56.25%
Never 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2003-11-28, 20:52   #1
TauCeti

Mar 2003
Braunschweig, Germany

111000102 Posts
Default AI-slavery / recreational discussion

Inspired by Xilmans mentioning of AI in the 'ET'-Thread, i think the following question and some deeper implications might be of interest and provide some motivation for a discussion:

Let's - for the sake of this thread, assume, that in times to come, perhaps in spring 2016 AD, a freakish accident in some backwood quantum-computing university-lab produces a *something* that may be indistinguishable from a sentient being and therefore be known as the first AI on mother earth.

Let us also assume, that this university (lacking funds to buy 'MS quantumNet.Windows 2014 SP 8') uses a GPL licensed 'QuanTux 11.2' operating system.

Would not the GPL licence enforce a kind of slavery on the AI? Would a BSD-style licence be different? Would the existence and recognition of AI-like entities supersede the copyleft of the GPL? The knowledge that everyone has the right to modify, restructure and 'play with' some instances of the AI and sell them enslaved would exert quite some 'mental' pressure on that new-born entity. Would not that AI be only able to declare itself 'off limits' (before copied) under BSD-licence but not GPL?

Talking about AI: What do you think will ‘create’ them? Increased complexity of 'classical' computation? The physical implementation of quantum computers? Will they never evolve? Is the biological human brain with it’s rough-scale chemical reactions really the 'source' of our consciousness or does it only provide one possible framework for some deeper, universal process? Is there a link to the 'deterministic universe - no free will' idea?

Errr... now my pizza delivery is imminent here and i am starving – good weekend to the rest of the GIMPS-community ;)
TauCeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 12:43   #2
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

22×1,193 Posts

I'm afraid we should start delving with natural stupidity BEFORE studying Artificial Intelligence...

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 23:44   #3
FeLiNe

Dec 2003

23 Posts

The question in this poll presupposes that any AI will have "hands"; whereas it would be easy to argue that hands are really an impediment to intelligence and that no truly intelligent being will ever exist that has "hands". Instead it will have paws with claws.

Anyways and slightly less jokingly: I consider this thread as meaningless as the ET thread because there's a lot of people using a lot of words (from "intelligent" to "life") as if they had ever thought about them long enough to recognize them if they bit them into the butt. The vast majority of the world population is unable to pass a Touring test, much less devise one to examine whether any one entity (terrestrial or extraterrestial) is in fact intelligent. The average toaster has more common sense (and, quite frankly, more sex appeal) than the average human I see around me these days.

When chess turned out to be a big problem, people proclaimed that the true test for artificial intelligence was going to be the creation of a machine that can beat a GM at chess. Then when that was done, everybody is now proclaiming that it was all just an engineering task. In the same vein, you can build a machine to do anything you can conceive of and most people will continue to assert that it is "just a machine" even though that "mere machine" may beat them at anything you can name.

Thus you have the choice: talk about "intelligence" in vague undefined terms and accept the meaninglessness of any ensuing exchange -- or otherwise specify exactly what it takes to be "intelligent" and watch people proclaim that your criteria are all achievable by a "mere unintelligent machine".
FeLiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 23:56   #4
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

22·1,193 Posts

Intelligence is the capability to demonstrate that we can in no way distinguish it.

Luigi
Old 2004-04-07, 00:00   #5
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

10010101001002 Posts

...so the question may be rewritten as: "How long before a machine may show us there will never be a machine showing us what it is showing us?"

In that sense I agree with FeLiNe.

Luigi