Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2016-01-16, 05:50   #1
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

2,377 Posts
Default What if someone discovers a Mersenne prime using not-so-legal methods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
I truly don't know who the Anonymous user on GPU72 who is doing incredible amounts of DCTF is. And even if I did know, I couldn't say.

But based on their behaviour, I suspect this is a single individual, or a very small group, who have access to a serious amount of GPGPU compute (much like you (airsquirrels)).

But, likely, not via a "botnet". After all, someone engaged in such illegal activities would probably task that compute to mine coins, or crack passwords.
This post from the M#49 thread got me thinking: suppose someone does find a new prime using... questionable... means. Let's say the person is an IT admin for a large school district who got caught installing Prime95 on several thousand school computers without permission. The program is removed, but not before one of the computer finds a prime.

On one hand, a discovery is a discovery. But at the same time, announcing the new prime would also make GIMPS look bad. How would GIMPS deal with the situation?
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-16, 07:50   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

9,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
Let's say the person is an IT admin for
Aaron, care to take this one?
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-16, 08:24   #3
aketilander

"Åke Tilander"
Apr 2011
Sandviken, Sweden

2·283 Posts
Smile

Have we not already had such a case?

Last fiddled with by aketilander on 2016-01-16 at 08:30
aketilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-16, 10:00   #4
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aketilander View Post
Have we not already had such a case?
Not where a prime was found by the "offender".
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-16, 21:41   #5
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×5,813 Posts

I suggest a similar approach as to convicted murderers who write tell-all books from prison: They can publish what they want and get proper credit for it, but they are not allowed to profit from it. Here of course we might have to broaden the definition of 'profit'. For one, no prison conjugal visits from the usual hordes of sex-crazed M-prime groupies.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2016-01-16 at 21:41
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-16, 21:56   #6
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

166010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
I suggest a similar approach as to convicted murderers who write tell-all books from prison: They can publish what they want and get proper credit for it, but they are not allowed to profit from it. Here of course we might have to broaden the definition of 'profit'. For one, no prison conjugal visits from the usual hordes of sex-crazed M-prime groupies.
See also: http://retractionwatch.com/2016/01/1...ademic-papers/
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-17, 07:37   #7
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

937910 Posts

Haha, you guys are wonderful! I can not stop laughing.

Now you know why I can not come forward with the five primes I discovered...
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-19, 04:03   #8
E_tron

Sep 2002
Austin, TX

10001100012 Posts

It's kind of like winning the lottery. Unauthorized installs of Prime95 will suddenly become a good source of PR for the affected party (not to mention a footnote in history books).

A discovery from a botnet would be interesting... The discovery should be reported as such and leave it at that. The discovery should be attributed to the botnet (and/or the suspect and victim if identified). The 100M prize should be forfeited.

It probably happens all the time on crypto-currency. That said, a true botnet probably couldn't run individual nodes long enough to complete full LL tests. I think true botnet discoveries are unlikely, but 'unauthorized' discoveries are probable (though we will probably never know it was 'unauthorized' since the parties invoked would likely sort it out before a discovery announcement).
E_tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-19, 05:31   #9
airsquirrels

"David"
Jul 2015
Ohio

11·47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
It's kind of like winning the lottery. Unauthorized installs of Prime95 will suddenly become a good source of PR for the affected party (not to mention a footnote in history books).

A discovery from a botnet would be interesting... The discovery should be reported as such and leave it at that. The discovery should be attributed to the botnet (and/or the suspect and victim if identified). The 100M prize should be forfeited.

It probably happens all the time on crypto-currency. That said, a true botnet probably couldn't run individual nodes long enough to complete full LL tests. I think true botnet discoveries are unlikely, but 'unauthorized' discoveries are probable (though we will probably never know it was 'unauthorized' since the parties invoked would likely sort it out before a discovery announcement).
It is only the current architecture of Prime95 that requires all the iterations to be finished on one machine...
airsquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-19, 06:09   #10
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

9,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsquirrels View Post
It is only the current architecture of Prime95 that requires all the iterations to be finished on one machine...
It is possible to move assignments and work on them on different machines. Plus, if one where to use a single machine to front for all of the others, it would be possible to check for discoveries, and rerun from the save file the last few iterations on a legit machine.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-19, 10:09   #11
0PolarBearsHere

Oct 2015

2·7·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
That said, a true botnet probably couldn't run individual nodes long enough to complete full LL tests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
It is possible to move assignments and work on them on different machines. Plus, if one where to use a single machine to front for all of the others, it would be possible to check for discoveries, and rerun from the save file the last few iterations on a legit machine.
If it's smartly coded it could do it.
Mr Baddie starts the LL for a few thousand exponents and saves the backup files to a server.

1) When computer is infected
a) connect to server
b) download LL code
c) "check out" save file
d) perform Z iterations (either number or for a time period)
e) create save file
f) "check in" the save file to the server again.
2) worm removes itself and LL code from computer

As long as there is proper error checking (perhaps compare residuals between several victims) it could work.

But it would be very very naughty, so please don't do it.

Last fiddled with by 0PolarBearsHere on 2016-01-19 at 10:09
0PolarBearsHere is offline   Reply With Quote