mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-06-08, 05:25   #1
Primeinator
 
Primeinator's Avatar
 
"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M52..

3·5·61 Posts
Default Code

What type of code is Prime95 (for the PC) written in? I have a good friend that has done some very creative coding in a variety of languages recently and he wants to see if he can optimize the code for a speed increase. Additionally, where can I find this code as he wants me to send a text file with only the code.

Last fiddled with by Primeinator on 2009-06-08 at 05:26
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 08:29   #2
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

481110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primeinator View Post
What type of code is Prime95 (for the PC) written in? I have a good friend that has done some very creative coding in a variety of languages recently and he wants to see if he can optimize the code for a speed increase. Additionally, where can I find this code as he wants me to send a text file with only the code.
The interface is written in C, while the routines are hand-tuned in assembly language.

George put his last 20 years to optimize it.

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 09:21   #3
Mr. P-1
 
Mr. P-1's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

7×167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primeinator View Post
What type of code is Prime95 (for the PC) written in? I have a good friend that has done some very creative coding in a variety of languages recently and he wants to see if he can optimize the code for a speed increase. Additionally, where can I find this code as he wants me to send a text file with only the code.
Source code is here. See the conditions of use

While I've no expertise to be able to make a judgment myself, the critical bignum manipulatin routies have a reputation for being some of the most highly optimised code out there. But by all means, have at them.

The non-critical routines should be easy to improve, but doing so will provide a marginal benefit.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 10:16   #4
S485122
 
S485122's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

3×7×79 Posts
Default

Regarding optimisation : you can find an excerpt of the kind of work done by George in the document P4notes.doc. The document dates back to 2001.

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 14:17   #5
Primeinator
 
Primeinator's Avatar
 
"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M52..

11100100112 Posts
Default

Thanks. They have been sent to my friend. I myself know absolutely zero coding but my friend loves tinkering with code in unusual ways. He always is doing some sort of project and I told him about GIMPS. Although he has no interest in the project, he is interested in the code. I'll reply back here if he manages to do anything with it. I was not aware George has spent that much time on the coding... so I am not expecting any (faster) code from my friend.
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 15:29   #6
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primeinator View Post
Thanks. They have been sent to my friend. I myself know absolutely zero coding but my friend loves tinkering with code in unusual ways. He always is doing some sort of project and I told him about GIMPS. Although he has no interest in the project, he is interested in the code. I'll reply back here if he manages to do anything with it. I was not aware George has spent that much time on the coding... so I am not expecting any (faster) code from my friend.
Rather than work on code that has been well optimized already,
perhaps your friend might worjk on something that has been less
well-optimized? For example, speeding up the msieve siever? Or
the msieve or CWI Block-Lanczos code??
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 15:51   #7
Primeinator
 
Primeinator's Avatar
 
"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M52..

3·5·61 Posts
Default

I'll check with him. He is...fairly eccentric and flits from project to project as fits his fancy. However, he does have a gift from what I hear.
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 16:07   #8
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

1D2416 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primeinator View Post
I'll check with him. He is...fairly eccentric and flits from project to project as fits his fancy. However, he does have a gift from what I hear.
I would certainly love to have someone speed up the CWI block Lanczos
code; I simply do not have time to do it.

Perhaps even create a multi-threaded version!!!!??????
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 19:33   #9
xkey
 
xkey's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
near Chicago

2·11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
I would certainly love to have someone speed up the CWI block Lanczos
code; I simply do not have time to do it.

Perhaps even create a multi-threaded version!!!!??????
I will have some spare time the 2nd half of this year - a lot of late nights :)

Please send me some links to the current code repository and any papers you think will be relevant. I'm not sure what block Lanczos stuff I have on hand - I can see a bunch of Coppersmith/block Wiedemann stuff and a lot of papers on finding dependencies over FF or GF2 by block Wiedemann in my stack but think I'd have to hit up a dig library for any recent improvements to Lanczos methods as most of those papers I just pulled out of folders are 5 - 12 years old.

On a related note - I seem to recall a few different people had some block Wiedemann implementations so if anyone has links to those I'd appreciate that as well [ Coppersmith's, Austin Lobo's etc]
xkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 22:28   #10
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

250616 Posts
Default

Or, let your friend be the one to write TF or LL code for GPU's.....

[Ducks the thrown fruit.]
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 22:39   #11
Primeinator
 
Primeinator's Avatar
 
"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M52..

3×5×61 Posts
Default

Quote:
Or, let your friend be the one to write TF or LL code for GPU's.....

[Ducks the thrown fruit.]
What?! I'm not going to throw my snack at you... now where did I put my pistol... haha I am kidding. What is GPU? Remember, I myself know zero coding.
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rho code Happy5214 YAFU 3 2015-11-01 21:54
Please help me with my code daxmick Programming 15 2014-02-14 11:57
Code Help Andrew Programming 12 2013-02-16 20:53
New Code JohnFullspeed Programming 20 2011-09-04 04:28
A little help with VBS code IronBits No Prime Left Behind 6 2008-11-12 14:23

All times are UTC. The time now is 05:47.

Mon Apr 12 05:47:24 UTC 2021 up 4 days, 28 mins, 1 user, load averages: 1.53, 1.49, 1.52

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.