mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2015-08-09, 21:39   #1
firejuggler

Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

2·1,237 Posts
Default windows 10 , transit or not?

I'm worrying. if I transit to win 10, will I still be able to use the srsieve files? or the non win pfgw?
Does winpfgw still compatible with win 10?
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-09, 22:20   #2
VictordeHolland

"Victor de Hollander"
Aug 2011
the Netherlands

2×587 Posts

Win 10 is a virus ;) , why would you want it?
VictordeHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-12, 08:19   #3
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts

Win 10 is ugly and breaks some stuff I'd rather keep. That's my experience with it. I'm not going back because that might make things worse.

If you haven't switched, stay with Win 7. If you have anything other than Win 7, then upgrade, including if you have Win 8, but don't upgrade from Win 7.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-12, 12:14   #4
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

13×773 Posts

My partner and I are planning to go to the suburbs tomorrow afternoon to try and roll back his 87 year old father's computer from Win 10. Dan talked to him in the last few days. First, Dad asked if he should 'upgrade' from Win 7. Dan gave him a resounding "NO!" Then it gradually came out that he already had, and important things were broken.

I have found details for "downgrading W10," which you are supposed to be able to do for 30 days. I am going loaded for bear, as it were, with external drives to back up his spread sheets and Right Wing crazy emails, and a Win 7 DVD just in case we need it. We are not pleased with the situation. Something like it has happened before, with Vista, I think.

The machine is a 2 year old Dell which Dan set him up with. My real hope is that there is either a Factory Restore DVD, or a partition on his drive for that purpose. Also, the folks just moved out of their long-time house into an Assisted Living community, and we have not yet been to the new place. Our hope is that Dad will be distracted by showing the new digs to Dan, and I will be able to attempt a rollback without too much interference or distraction. I can certainly put things back by one means or another, but neither we nor they have the endurance for an all-nighter. The quickest functional restoration we can attain is the goal.

While we were discussing the situation, Dan said that Dad had been sucked in by the awesome power of the word "FREE!" My response was to quote a line I picked up on the forum: "If it's free, it's not the product. YOU are." Now Dan wants me to be sure to say that around his Dad. He is certain that the message will be understood. Whether it remains understood is another question.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-12, 15:32   #5
cardogab7341

Mar 2013
Dallas, TX

2·3·5 Posts

I upgraded and it broke my multi-gpu setup, among other minor things. Decided to roll back, and it went smoother than I expected. Once rebooted back into Win7, everything was back as it was before. It took about 5 minutes. Apparently, Win10 renames the Win7 directory, and for the roll-back renames it back.
cardogab7341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-12, 15:42   #6
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

11·271 Posts

The saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" seems to apply to Windows 10. I read a rumor of a major upgrade like "Windows 10.1" already in October.

I will not upgrade from Windows 7, but maybe I will try a full install on a different partition sometimes, so I save my Windows 7 :)
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-12, 15:56   #7
chris2be8

Sep 2009

5×389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
My partner and I are planning to go to the suburbs tomorrow afternoon to try and roll back his 87 year old father's computer from Win 10.
Would this be a good opportunity to convert him to Linux?

Chris
chris2be8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-12, 16:51   #8
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

1019710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
The saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" seems to apply to Windows 10. I read a rumor of a major upgrade like "Windows 10.1" already in October.

I will not upgrade from Windows 7, but maybe I will try a full install on a different partition sometimes, so I save my Windows 7 :)
Install Linux on any spare disk partition(s). Shrink the Windows partion(s) if you don't have any spare(s). Use both operating systems for at least a month until you decide which works better for you and then delete the other and reclaim any now useless disk space.

The above procedure is what I'm recommending to SWMBO.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-12, 16:57   #9
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

100000101100012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Install Linux on any spare disk partition(s). Shrink the Windows partion(s) if you don't have any spare(s). Use both operating systems for at least a month until you decide which works better for you and then delete the other and reclaim any now useless disk space.

The above procedure is what I'm recommending to SWMBO.
I think windows 10 only gives you a month to go back to begin with if my understanding of what I read is correct. edit: though I may be remembering incorrectly or something knowing me. edit: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Quote:
Can I go back to my previous version of Windows if I don’t like Windows 10?
Yes, while we think you will love all the features of Windows 10, you will have one month after upgrading to revert back to the previous version of Windows on your device.
though I'm sure I'm not thinking about people who back things up in my head.

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2015-08-12 at 17:02
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-12, 20:54   #10
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

13×773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2be8 View Post
Would this be a good opportunity to convert him to Linux?

Chris
I am afraid that that would open a whole new can of worms. He is trouble enough as it is. New digital surroundings would have him on the phone for hours every night.

@SM88: Indeed, a month is all you get before you are stuck with this turkey. Fortunately, this took place in the past week.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2015-08-12 at 20:57
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 12:59   #11
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

719710 Posts

I've heard a lot of terrible things about Windows 10 in the last day. One example, among many such things, is that Windows 10 is an OS level key logger, meaning, it tracks every key you press and transmits that to Microsoft servers every 30 minutes. That makes Windows 10 some of the worst spyware ever produced, and that's only the tip of the iceberg.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote