mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2015-08-08, 21:54   #1
cardogab7341

Mar 2013
Dallas, TX

2·3·5 Posts
Default Multiple GPU's Windows 10

I just updated to Windows 10 and my multiple GPU setup broke. I was running a GTX 670 as the main video card and mfaktc and a GTX 460 to run mfaktc exclusively. Now, Windows 10 has disabled the GTX-460 with the following error:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Others have seen this problem and it seems to be a driver problem but I have done a clean install of the latest Nvidia drivers.

Does anyone have any suggestions n how to fix this?

Thanks
cardogab7341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-08, 22:00   #2
Gordon

Nov 2008

50110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardogab7341 View Post
I just updated to Windows 10 and my multiple GPU setup broke. I was running a GTX 670 as the main video card and mfaktc and a GTX 460 to run mfaktc exclusively. Now, Windows 10 has disabled the GTX-460 with the following error:

Others have seen this problem and it seems to be a driver problem but I have done a clean install of the latest Nvidia drivers.

Thanks
Get rid of that spyware masquerading as Windows 10, see the recent discussion on this board...and the countless articles on the web.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-08, 22:55   #3
Robert_JD

Sep 2010
So Cal

2×52 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Thanks
First, I would consider making a clean install of Windows 10, if feasible, via an .ISO file and burning a bootup DVD. If that doesn't solve the issue, then consider reverting back to whatever Windows version you were using before.

I've just downloaded the Win10_Pro free upgrade over a Win7/Win8.1 platform. On that particular box, running LL tests on a Titan Black has issues where performance is erratic, eventually slowing down to a crawl. As a result, I was compelled to do many reboots to reset the registers back to a decent performance envelope - only to have yet again the speed drop to a mere shadow of what it was running Win_8.1. However, on the formally Win7 box, the upgrade to Win_10 Pro is surprisingly issue free with decent performance. Have no idea why, but I'm not complaining. Incidentally, as a last ditch fix on the Win8.1/Win10 upgrade, I simply reinstalled the Win8.1 CUDA 7.0 development drivers while doing a clean uninstall of the Win8.1/Win10 NVIDIA gamer drivers. No real issues so far.

Last fiddled with by Robert_JD on 2015-08-08 at 22:59
Robert_JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-09, 01:08   #4
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

20B116 Posts

what everyone has to remember is this is still not bug free one bug I heard about had certain architectures try to install one bug fix only to fail at doing that reboot and try again and fail in a infinite loop style turns out it was a registry thing I guess so if you don't change that before it tries auto-installing that update again you repeat the loop again:

edit:Windows 10 Forced Updates Causing Endless Crash Loops

Quote:
I think we can now all agree: Microsoft MSFT +0.3%’s hardline policy on Windows 10’s forced updates is silly. Very silly. Since launching nine days ago Windows Update has sent out an unstable graphics driver which switched off monitors, a buggy security patch which corrupted Windows Explorer and there are now a number of reports that a third update is causing Window 10 machines to crash over and over again…

The patch in question is KB3081424 (ironically enough a roll-up of bug fixes) and during its update process affected users find it fails and triggers the message: “We couldn’t complete the updates, undoing the changes.” Undoing them results in a mandatory system reboot, but as soon as the user logs back on Windows 10’s update process kicks in and tries to install KB3081424 again.
another potential worry for some:

Windows 10 Is Automatically Downloading On Windows 7 And Windows 8

Quote:
Did you sign up for a free copy of Windows 10? Are you running a Windows 7 or Windows 8 PC? Then you could be in for a big surprise: Windows 10 may have already started downloading to your PC…
Microsoft MSFT’s stealthy download uses a secret folder – C:\$windows.~BT – and it can be found by opening File Explorer and going to: Organize > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2015-08-09 at 01:18
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-09, 06:33   #5
Ralf Recker

Oct 2010

191 Posts

Quote:

Thanks
Here is the explanation:

Windows 10 will not load the NVIDIA display driver for my older graphics card in my PC that has multiple graphics cards

Infos about DX 12 (WDDM 2.0) support:

Which NVIDIA GPUs will support DX12?

Hope this helps.

Last fiddled with by Ralf Recker on 2015-08-09 at 07:09 Reason: Added another link.
Ralf Recker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-09, 13:57   #6
cardogab7341

Mar 2013
Dallas, TX

3010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf Recker View Post
This explains what is happening. I am mixing the Kepler and Fermi gpu's and only one will load properly. I'll have to wait until Nvidia supports WDDM v.2.0 for the Fermi cards. For now, I have rolled back to win7 and everything is working again. Thanks for the links to the explanation.
cardogab7341 is offline   Reply With Quote