mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-12-28, 08:49   #3389
cardogab7341
 
Mar 2013
Dallas, TX

111102 Posts
Default

GPU72 has been down for the last few hours.
cardogab7341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-28, 16:13   #3390
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

221528 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardogab7341 View Post
GPU72 has been down for the last few hours.
Sorry about that; back now. A weird memory-starvation issue....

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2014-12-28 at 16:33 Reason: s/about;/about that;/
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-28, 16:22   #3391
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·59·79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
What will be asked of the Beta Testers?
Not much; just keep an eye on things, and yell if things aren't working as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
I would like to continue focusing my efforts on DCTF unless there's an emergency of some sort (i.e. IBM devote all their spare cycles). If I can continue to do this but help in any way, I'd be glad. I just don't know what you need, yet.
Continuing on DCTF is fine; everyone's free to do whatever they enjoy.

Please be aware however that we are now again so far ahead in the DC range that any work you do won't be "used" for quite a number of months; the "churning" has stabilized. But again, the choice is yours.

Oh, and so you know, the new system will honour the WorkType setting (LLTF or DCTF) so long as you don't use the "What Makes Sense" or "Let GPU72 Decide" options.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-28, 16:25   #3392
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×59×79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
I sure hope it does the trick. When you say, "another four days", is that due to limitations on how much of the stuff you can take, or some other cause? Is this anti-inflammatory a steroid?

Sorry for the probing questions. However, I am very curious about the disease, and your progress of recovery. I wish you the best possible outcomes. How is your girlfriend doing?
Limitations on length of time allowed. And yes, it is a steroid, which I assume is the reason.

Thanks for your concern -- this has been quite an experience! My girlfriend is slowly getting better as well.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-28, 16:32   #3393
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

246A16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
Is there any way to have a setting that:

1. Only hands out DCTF
2. At a GPU72/PrimeNet chosen bit depth?
Hmmm... Good point.

Perhaps I could set things up such that What Makes Sense honours the WorkType (DCTF in your case), but sets the Pledge level. As in, only "Let GPU72 Decide" chooses which range to do as needed.

Thoughts? The only significant change is WMS currently honours the pledge level.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-28, 18:48   #3394
Mark Rose
 
Mark Rose's Avatar
 
"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

3·971 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Thanks for your concern -- this has been quite an experience! My girlfriend is slowly getting better as well.
Glad to hear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Hmmm... Good point.

Perhaps I could set things up such that What Makes Sense honours the WorkType (DCTF in your case), but sets the Pledge level. As in, only "Let GPU72 Decide" chooses which range to do as needed.

Thoughts? The only significant change is WMS currently honours the pledge level.
I like that idea. It may surprise a few people if you change it though. But once the integration with PrimeNet is complete with the current plan, there wouldn't otherwise be any difference between WMS and LG72D, would there?
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-29, 04:13   #3395
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!
 
petrw1's Avatar
 
"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

73·13 Posts
Default 78M 73-74 bits DC-TF just assigned....

Is that a "BUG" or a "FEATURE"

For now I changed MisFit to give me specifically DCTF - lowest Exponent and I got 41M 70-71 Bits even though there are still 40M 71-72 Bits available....and 41M 69 - 70 Bits.

Then I unreserved the 78M from GPU72 and deleted from the MisFitWorkToDo. It that the correct procedure?

Last fiddled with by petrw1 on 2014-12-29 at 04:14
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-29, 11:34   #3396
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

2·3·1,193 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
Is that a "BUG" or a "FEATURE"

For now I changed MisFit to give me specifically DCTF - lowest Exponent and I got 41M 70-71 Bits even though there are still 40M 71-72 Bits available....and 41M 69 - 70 Bits.

Then I unreserved the 78M from GPU72 and deleted from the MisFitWorkToDo. It that the correct procedure?
That is a feature. Primenet decided that doing that 78M exponent would save more LL CPU time than working on any other DC TF exponent available. "What makes sense" always translates into "saves the most LL CPU time per unit of GPU work expended".

Primenet does not hand out 40M exponents for DCTF to 72. By default, Primenet uses James' crossover charts for a GTX 670 and switches from bit depth 71 to bit depth 72 when the chart crosses 71.75. See http://www.mersenne.ca/cudalucas.php?model=487
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-29, 15:26   #3397
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!
 
petrw1's Avatar
 
"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

73·13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
That is a feature. Primenet decided that doing that 78M exponent would save more LL CPU time than working on any other DC TF exponent available. "What makes sense" always translates into "saves the most LL CPU time per unit of GPU work expended".

Primenet does not hand out 40M exponents for DCTF to 72. By default, Primenet uses James' crossover charts for a GTX 670 and switches from bit depth 71 to bit depth 72 when the chart crosses 71.75. See http://www.mersenne.ca/cudalucas.php?model=487
Fair enough.

Would this not always hand out the largest exponents since that would result in the most LL savings?
And if so how do you get the leading edge (lowest exponents) TF'd?
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-29, 16:34   #3398
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·59·79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
For now I changed MisFit to give me specifically DCTF - lowest Exponent and I got 41M 70-71 Bits even though there are still 40M 71-72 Bits available....and 41M 69 - 70 Bits.
Please remember that only LG72D (and, soon, WMS) sets the "Pledge" level. You asked for "Lowest", but still have only pledged to 71. This is why you didn't get anything to take to 72. And, also, you didn't get any assignments from 69 because, again, you asked for lowest exponent. If you had asked for lowest TF level, you would have been given the lowest available candidates at the lowest bit level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
Then I unreserved the 78M from GPU72 and deleted from the MisFitWorkToDo. It that the correct procedure?
Scott (Mr. MISFIT ) would have to answer as to how to handle the MisFitWorkToDo side of things. But unreseving from GPU72 is definitely the correct first step.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-29, 16:38   #3399
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·59·79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
Would this not always hand out the largest exponents since that would result in the most LL savings? And if so how do you get the leading edge (lowest exponents) TF'd?
Please be aware that the GPU72 to Primenet proxying is not yet "live". As in, the 78M assignments you were given were by GPU72.

As I understand George's plans, Primenet will give out TF assignments which are the most profitable to the project AND are likely to be assigned in the next 60 days or so.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Status Primeinator Operation Billion Digits 5 2011-12-06 02:35
62 bit status 1997rj7 Lone Mersenne Hunters 27 2008-09-29 13:52
OBD Status Uncwilly Operation Billion Digits 22 2005-10-25 14:05
1-2M LLR status paulunderwood 3*2^n-1 Search 2 2005-03-13 17:03
Status of 26.0M - 26.5M 1997rj7 Lone Mersenne Hunters 25 2004-06-18 16:46

All times are UTC. The time now is 08:47.

Wed Nov 25 08:47:40 UTC 2020 up 76 days, 5:58, 4 users, load averages: 1.30, 1.27, 1.31

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.