Old 2014-02-02, 22:37   #12
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

259116 Posts

Many websites have rotten links, e.g.
- there is no finnish translation here;
- the chinese translation is five years old here...
- and, of course, the Brazilian factoring news (in portuguese) here are bogus but this is known to be a joke.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-03, 01:23   #13
dabaichi

Sep 2011

10111002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Opening things up a bit: To you web designers out there, what would be your recommendations? Both big and small ideas are welcome.
I have some suggestions for our new website:
1. Add 5px padding to the left sidebar. The attachment shows the look.
2. Move the "forgotten?" link next to "Log In" button, so that the tab order will be username -> password -> Log in -> forgotten. But current is username -> forgotten -> password -> log in, which I think is quite cumbersome.
3. For the Computer Details, Assignments pages, instead of showing all results on one page, how about displaying them in multiple pages and each page only contains, say, 20 or 50 or 100 entries. The benefits are to shorten load time and decrease server load.

Any comments? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GIMPS_padding_5px.PNG
Views:	121
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	10734  
dabaichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-03, 02:31   #14
paulofaller

Feb 2014

5 Posts

I have some additional suggestions, and agree completely with the ones above

Anyhow:
  1. Remove the gadgets by Google text and button below the translate widget, if it can be removed independently.
  2. Add padding-left and padding-right of 20px, to the remaining translate tool dropdown area. When the border directly touches text, it looks squashed.
  3. Remove the <tr> and <td> containing the date at the time the page loads. It's nice and all, but considering how much value it has, it shouldn't be placed atop the login form.
  4. I think the padding-right on

<table style="font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 60%;border-right-style: solid; border-left-width: 1;border-right-width: 1; padding-right: 2; margin-right: 2" bordercolor="#111111" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1">
    </table>

makes it look slightly worse in some respects.

I think however a bigger change in focus and more substantial changes will probably be necessary in order to decide how exactly a modern mersenne.org should be designed.
For example dealing with: people on their first visit (possibly from a new prime discovery announcement), people visiting in order to assist or help in any way and technical visitors/Mathematicians. (There may be more groups of distinct visitors)

I'm not great with screenshots but:

Name:	another_snap.png
Views:	101
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	10736

Last fiddled with by paulofaller on 2014-02-03 at 02:47
paulofaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-03, 03:52   #15
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

3·13·197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabaichi View Post
2. Move the "forgotten?" link next to "Log In" button, so that the tab order will be username -> password -> Log in -> forgotten.
Weird. If I move the forgotten button, the 2 80-wide images above it display one above the other instead of side-by-side.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-03, 04:54   #16
dabaichi

Sep 2011

22·23 Posts

Quote:
Weird. If I move the forgotten button, the 2 80-wide images above it display one above the other instead of side-by-side.
Thank you for your reply, George! How did you move the forgotten button? I changed the left_menu_login_form_div from
Code:
<div id="left_menu_login_form_div"><form method="post" action="/report_exponent/default.php"><b>Login</b><br><input type="text" name="user_login" value="" style="width: 80%;"><br><a href="/forgot/" style="float: right; text-decoration: none;">forgotten?</a><b>Password</b><br><input type="password" name="user_password" value="" style="width: 80%;"><br><button type="submit">Log In</button><br></form></div>
to
Code:
<div id="left_menu_login_form_div"><form method="post" action="/report_exponent/default.php"><b>Login</b><br><input type="text" name="user_login" value="" style="width: 80%;"><br><b>Password</b><br><input type="password" name="user_password" value="" style="width: 80%;"><br><button type="submit">Log In</button><a href="/forgot/" style="float:right; text-decoration: none; margin-right: 2px;">forgotten?</a><br></form></div>
And it looks great on my browsers (IE 11, Firefox).

By the way, I think the margin-left property of the third div should be changed to 170px to be consistent with the second div:
Code:
<div style="border-top: 1px #999999 solid; margin-left: 170px; margin-top: 20px; padding: 5px;">
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	forgotten_gimps.PNG
Views:	106
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	10738  

Last fiddled with by dabaichi on 2014-02-03 at 05:16 Reason: update screenshot
Old 2014-02-03, 06:00   #17
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

768310 Posts

Quote:
How did you move the forgotten button?
I basically did what you did but without the margin-right:2px

Why that matters is beyond me, I guess I'm not cut out for HTML programming.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-03, 14:28   #18
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

2·2,417 Posts

Quote:
I have some suggestions for our new website:
1. Add 5px padding to the left sidebar. The attachment shows the look.
2. Move the "forgotten?" link next to "Log In" button, so that the tab order will be username -> password -> Log in -> forgotten. But current is username -> forgotten -> password -> log in, which I think is quite cumbersome.
3. For the Computer Details, Assignments pages, instead of showing all results on one page, how about displaying them in multiple pages and each page only contains, say, 20 or 50 or 100 entries. The benefits are to shorten load time and decrease server load.

Any comments? Thanks!
I found the same problem while trying to log in, as I often use keyboard shortcuts.

The padding idea is also interesting, although I'd prefer using a general 5px padding on the whole page, ad add a box for the left column.

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-03, 15:06   #19
dabaichi

Sep 2011

22·23 Posts

Quote:
I basically did what you did but without the margin-right:2px

Why that matters is beyond me, I guess I'm not cut out for HTML programming.
Actually I added the margin-right just to make it look nicer. In both cases, I didn't see the images are affected. Again, thank you very much for making this change!
Old 2014-02-03, 15:11   #20
dabaichi

Sep 2011

22×23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post
I found the same problem while trying to log in, as I often use keyboard shortcuts.

The padding idea is also interesting, although I'd prefer using a general 5px padding on the whole page, ad add a box for the left column.

Luigi
I second the idea of using 5px padding on the whole page!
Old 2014-02-03, 17:56   #21
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

37×79 Posts

If you need PHP/MySQL help, I wrote a PHP/MySQL stack that's currently serving over a billion requests per month. PM me if you like.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 15:32   #22
sixblueboxes

Feb 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina

31 Posts

On the CPUs page, http://www.mersenne.org/cpus/ , when you sort by Last Updated, the results are not sorted:

Name:	not sorted.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	10758

I can help program if needed. I have PHP and Perl experience.
sixblueboxes is offline   Reply With Quote