mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2006-08-28, 01:18   #1
PageFault

Aug 2002
Dawn of the Dead

EB16 Posts
Default Help on dual - no time, flying tomorrow

I set up a pair of dual cores, need help on the best way to run two instances - do I add the switch /A2 in the services startup options? OS is windows serber 2003.

I'm flying tomorrow, will be in africa till January - need help urgent
PageFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-28, 01:47   #2
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

2×43×83 Posts

The easiest solution is to copy prime95 to another folder and run the 2nd one from there
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-28, 01:53   #3
drew

Jun 2005

2·191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageFault View Post
I set up a pair of dual cores, need help on the best way to run two instances - do I add the switch /A2 in the services startup options? OS is windows serber 2003.

I'm flying tomorrow, will be in africa till January - need help urgent
I've installed Prime95 using the default installation, then created an additional directory (configured using a different computer name) in "Program Files\Prime95_2".

The 'standard' installation should start normally as a service if it is configured as such. The second one won't work that way. I usually put a link to the executable in the 'startup' directory.

Go to 'Advanced->Affinity' and configure each instance of Prime95 to run on a different core (one on 0, and the other on 1).

Drew
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-28, 02:27   #4
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

11011111000102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The 'standard' installation should start normally as a service if it is configured as such.
Both should start as a service. If it does not then it is a bug. This should work for both the -An switch and the prime95 in two directories solution.

In any event, test your setup by rebooting before you leave on your trip!

Last fiddled with by Prime95 on 2006-08-28 at 02:28
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-28, 02:30   #5
drew

Jun 2005

17E16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Both should start as a service. If it does not then it is a bug. This should work for both the -An switch and the prime95 in two directories solution.
I think there's a bug, then (that's about to become obsolete).

In my case, Id get an error every time I'd select 'Start at bootup'. I just looked a bit closer, and there was a file called install.sss. It had the wrong path in it because it had been copied from a different directory. I just deleted this file to see if Prime95 would automagically create a new one, and now the 'Start at bootup' option is greyed-out.

Anyway, I think the problem stems from the fact that a configuration file was copied from an installation in another directory.

I was never aware of the -An switch.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-28, 04:51   #6
PageFault

Aug 2002
Dawn of the Dead

5×47 Posts

Multiple efforts went to naught. In "undoc.txt", there was mention of renaming the service and restarting the instance a few times to undo / redo the start at boot. This finally worked, but was complicated because I tried to add a second prime95 as a startup option. That didn't work, as the executable was unable to open the .ini's, yet it remained as a service! Finally I disabled that service and proceeded with the method in undoc.

This is too complicated - is it windows serber 2003? In any case, way too much hassle - this program needs to be able to run multiple instances native - as that is the future of computing.
Old 2006-08-28, 04:56   #7
PageFault

Aug 2002
Dawn of the Dead

5·47 Posts

BTW George, setting the /An switch under services management had no effect - the setting did not hold and upon reboot only one instance started.
Old 2006-08-28, 21:36   #8
SORIANO

Aug 2006

816 Posts

This is the easiest way I know of to do this:

Hit start
Select the Run button
When the box appears type in "cmd"
next type in "cd\" and hit enter
next type in "cd\ Program Files\ Prime95" then hit enter
lastly type in "Prime95 -A1" and hit enter

THis should start the second instance of Prime95. Also be sure you set the processors correctly under affinity and do not give all the ram to one processor. This is really only important if you run 2 LL tests at once which i don't suggest. Studder them to avoid have the P1 and P2 stages running at the same time since they eat all available ram you give them. I hope that helps. I've never had to deal with your particular OS but i htink it should be the same.
SORIANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-28, 23:03   #9
PageFault

Aug 2002
Dawn of the Dead

23510 Posts

It is easy to start two instances - not so easy to have two services. The only way, with serber 2003, is to use the procedure in undoc - two lines to rename the service. That solves any issues with having to call someone to go boot the machines. - two services auto run.

To make things worse, the second box fails torture on both instances, repeatedly. Getting this fixed from remote location is going to suck.

Anyways, off to the airport and back to work - I'll be sure to borg the network I'm building there.
Old 2007-01-19, 13:25   #10
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

251010 Posts

Just wanted to report back on this. I got two dual machines recently, a desktop and a laptop. On both I did not "install" Prime95, just unzipped the files into two directories for two instances.

On the desktop, both installations installed correctly as services when started the first time. However, today on the laptop the second instance did not install as a service. it gave an error - saying Error creating service. I am using p95v24.14. It would be nice if this bug can be resolved. BTW, as a temporary workaround I put these lines in the local.ini of the second instance:
ServiceName=Prime95-1
DisplayName=Prime95-1

and this created a second service. On my desktop the second "automatically created" service had a name Prime95 Service-1.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 13:26   #11
Grant

Jan 2004

3·7 Posts

I am having this same problem now.

See this thread

http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthr...6&goto=newpost

Please help

Thanks Grant
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote