mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2013-05-14, 08:03   #1
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

476810 Posts
Default Ubuntu saddies

Hi there.

I just received a message saying that my Ubuntu version 11.10 was supported no more.

As I am a CUDA addicted, before starting the update to 12.04 LTS I would like to ask for instructions:

1 - My previous uodate from 10.10 ran smoothly, and even the drivers updated to the newest available.
2 - I guess I should update the SDK and the CUDA runtime as well?
3 - I remember that some CUDA program had problems with CUDA 5.0 - Has the glitch been correctd since then?

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 09:59   #2
Manpowre

"Svein Johansen"
May 2013
Norway

3×67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post
Hi there.

I just received a message saying that my Ubuntu version 11.10 was supported no more.

As I am a CUDA addicted, before starting the update to 12.04 LTS I would like to ask for instructions:

1 - My previous uodate from 10.10 ran smoothly, and even the drivers updated to the newest available.
2 - I guess I should update the SDK and the CUDA runtime as well?
3 - I remember that some CUDA program had problems with CUDA 5.0 - Has the glitch been correctd since then?

Luigi
Im working on cudalucas code with Cuda 5.0 64 bit AMD cpu with Nvidia Titan cards on Windows.

At this moment I am adding Hyperq. Too bad you are running Linux, otherwise you could benefit from my compiles on windows.

My compiles are running very stable. VS 2010 and Cuda 5.0 with V100. so its all the latest and greatest.

Last fiddled with by Manpowre on 2013-05-14 at 10:00
Manpowre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 10:11   #3
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

25·149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manpowre View Post
Im working on cudalucas code with Cuda 5.0 64 bit AMD cpu with Nvidia Titan cards on Windows.

At this moment I am adding Hyperq. Too bad you are running Linux, otherwise you could benefit from my compiles on windows.

My compiles are running very stable. VS 2010 and Cuda 5.0 with V100. so its all the latest and greatest.
That's relieving, thank you!

Luigi
Old 2013-05-14, 10:12   #4
Manpowre

"Svein Johansen"
May 2013
Norway

3·67 Posts

Quote:
That's relieving, thank you!

Luigi
Which graphics card do you use ?
Old 2013-05-14, 10:22   #5
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

25·149 Posts

Quote:
Which graphics card do you use ?
I actually have one GTX 580 and one GTX 275, the latter used for double-checks.

Luigi
Old 2013-05-14, 10:25   #6
Manpowre

"Svein Johansen"
May 2013
Norway

3·67 Posts

Quote:
I actually have one GTX 580 and one GTX 275, the latter used for double-checks.

Luigi
Ok, did you see my speed increase with GTX titan with cudalucas in the cudalucas thread ? interesting read. what Im doing with HyperQ now is worth purchasing the GTX titan..

But you need windows for GTX titan, as you need to downclock memory 500 mhz.. as the mem chip on the backside of the card gets burning hot and produces errors.
On linux I heard you cannot downclock the nvidia cards.

Last fiddled with by Manpowre on 2013-05-14 at 10:26
Old 2013-05-14, 10:44   #7
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

25×149 Posts

Quote:
Ok, did you see my speed increase with GTX titan with cudalucas in the cudalucas thread ? interesting read. what Im doing with HyperQ now is worth purchasing the GTX titan..

But you need windows for GTX titan, as you need to downclock memory 500 mhz.. as the mem chip on the backside of the card gets burning hot and produces errors.
On linux I heard you cannot downclock the nvidia cards.
I'm involved in different math searches, and don't feel pressed to buy the newest hardware just to increase my productivity...

You did a great work with HyperQ, but I'm actually satisfied with my GPUs (I will buy a new Ivy Bridge when my motherboard gets fried again, tho).

Downclocking a Titan would be like buying a Mustang Boss 8V and install a 6i engine on it because otherwise you burn your tires when you start going. It would be impossible to sell, except for the IT market...

Luigi
Old 2013-05-14, 10:48   #8
Manpowre

"Svein Johansen"
May 2013
Norway

3×67 Posts

Quote:
I'm involved in different math searches, and don't feel pressed to buy the newest hardware just to increase my productivity...

You did a great work with HyperQ, but I'm actually satisfied with my GPUs (I will buy a new Ivy Bridge when my motherboard gets fried again, tho).

Downclocking a Titan would be like buying a Mustang Boss 8V and install a 6i engine on it because otherwise you burn your tires when you start going. It would be impossible to sell, except for the IT market...

Luigi
Well, its a question about what is being downclocked actually.
I only downclocked the memory, the Titan board itself adjusts the clock whenever it needs to to keep itself within the heat profile.

I measured the speed drop, and it was very little 6-8%. Now with HyperQ speed increase on the existing code.. thats a good reason to buy Titan for compute reasons as the speedup with HyperQ is amazing, and its only GK110 chip at this moment that can do it.. The GK 104 chip which 680 and 690 boards are made with doesnt have HyperQ possibility.

Im thinking, why didnt this get tested in the Titan reviews ? Its a huge performance boost, even downclocking the memory 500mhz.
Old 2013-05-14, 11:04   #9
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

25·149 Posts

Quote:
Well, its a question about what is being downclocked actually.
I only downclocked the memory, the Titan board itself adjusts the clock whenever it needs to to keep itself within the heat profile.

I measured the speed drop, and it was very little 6-8%. Now with HyperQ speed increase on the existing code.. thats a good reason to buy Titan for compute reasons as the speedup with HyperQ is amazing, and its only GK110 chip at this moment that can do it.. The GK 104 chip which 680 and 690 boards are made with doesnt have HyperQ possibility.

Im thinking, why didnt this get tested in the Titan reviews ? Its a huge performance boost, even downclocking the memory 500mhz.
To be perfectly honest, I admire your work, and regret not having a more powerful GK110...

Luigi
Old 2013-05-14, 13:24   #10
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

23·1,103 Posts

Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that maybe it WAS tested and failed? As commented before, Titans seems to be just K20X's which did not pass (this or other) test.... (see my former posts).
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 13:32   #11
Manpowre

"Svein Johansen"
May 2013
Norway

3×67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Did it ever occur to you that maybe it WAS tested and failed? As commented before, Titans seems to be just K20X's which did not pass (this or other) test.... (see my former posts).
It could be. this is why I am running the titans extencively now the 2 following weeks as I have 14 days to return them. I am also checking what K20x will cost me, as I have special price availability. so well see.