mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2011-02-06, 18:14   #1
Unregistered

4F416 Posts
Default Registering

Re-registering actually. I had a userID which I used very little. Wanting to make a post I found that I could not log in. I re-created the ID with the same details but no confirming email has arrived. However trying to register yet again I was told that the ID was taken. I was allowed to reguest a password reset, but the message for that has not appeared either.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do please?

Alan
Old 2011-02-15, 19:34   #2
Justin

22×7×89 Posts

Don’t bother. I’ve been a member for long enough to look around and see the general attitude that prevails here – see for example posts on the thread

http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=14550

I shan’t be supporting the project and I shan’t be conducting any tests.

Justin
Old 2011-02-15, 22:51   #3
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

3×1,163 Posts

What general attitude do you mean? I see a lot of people trying to be helpful, even if some of those people are gruff.

(And what tests were you planning to run?)
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 00:15   #4
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

13·673 Posts

To add to what Jason said, don't take RD Silverman to be the sole or main voice here. There are many of us that help quite a bit and have been helped quite a bit. There are threads all around that show that.

And, although this forum is 'associated' with GIMPS, it is not a 'part' of GIMPS. It was set-up (as was the Wiki) by a volunteer to help out and give the nerds a place to get together. There had been a mailing list, but a threaded forum works better. If you don't like us, don't take it out on the project. Hundreds (maybe 1000's) help on the project and never visit the forum.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 11:21   #5
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Don’t bother. I’ve been a member for long enough to look around and see the general attitude that prevails here – see for example posts on the thread

http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=14550
What is your definition of "general" in "general attitude"?

What I see in that thread is one cranky guy (Silverman) and multiple people who offer helpful comments (except for the post by "Unregistered").

Do you think Silverman is one of this forum's admins or leaders? He's not.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 19:34   #6
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

141418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Re-registering actually. I had a userID which I used very little. Wanting to make a post I found that I could not log in. I re-created the ID with the same details but no confirming email has arrived. However trying to register yet again I was told that the ID was taken. I was allowed to reguest a password reset, but the message for that has not appeared either.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do please?

Alan
More to the point of the OP's question (which I don't believe has yet been answered):

If you can't get into your old account and aren't getting the password reset email (perhaps the account was associated with an email address you don't use any more?), I would recommend registering again under a new username. Perhaps "x2" where x was your old username. Since you mentioned that you used the old account very little, you probably wouldn't lose anything (private messages, thread subscriptions, etc.) from the switch to a new, blank identity.

Hope this helps!
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote