mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Factoring

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-08-26, 04:13   #1
geoff
 
geoff's Avatar
 
Mar 2003
New Zealand

13×89 Posts
Default ECM on small Generalised Fermat numbers

I would like to invite anyone who has done ECM work on small Generalised Fermat numbers a^(2^m) + b^(2^m) to report their ECM curve counts in this thread. Discussion about this and related projects welcome too :-)

I will keep a record of the cumulative totals here: curves.txt, and input files suitable for Prime95 and GMP-ECM here: input.zip. There are separate counts and input for a^(2^m)+1 because these numbers can be done with Prime95, whereas the more general a^(2^m) + b^(2^m) can only be done with GMP-ECM.

Please report any new factors to Wilfrid Keller (See address near the bottom of the main results page). He also keeps a separate listing of known factors just for small m.

So far I have listed only the curves I have done myself, plus the few recorded on this page.
geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 06:29   #2
rajula
 
rajula's Avatar
 
"Tapio Rajala"
Feb 2010
Finland

4738 Posts
Default

A few months ago I ran some curves on 122[sup]9[/sup]+1.

5000 curves with B1=11000000 and B2=35133391030.
1200 curves with B1=43000000 and B2=240490660426.

I would guess that someone has already ran lots and lots of more curves on it. I just wanted to see if I could get a lucky hit.
rajula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 09:54   #3
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

25·149 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff View Post
So far I have listed only the curves I have done myself, plus the few recorded on this page.
May I ask to put a sticky bit on this thread?

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 11:40   #4
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

26×113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff View Post
I would like to invite anyone who has done ECM work on small Generalised Fermat numbers a^(2^m) + b^(2^m) to report their ECM curve counts in this thread. Discussion about this and related projects welcome too :-)

I will keep a record of the cumulative totals here: curves.txt, and input files suitable for Prime95 and GMP-ECM here: input.zip. There are separate counts and input for a^(2^m)+1 because these numbers can be done with Prime95, whereas the more general a^(2^m) + b^(2^m) can only be done with GMP-ECM.

Please report any new factors to Wilfrid Keller (See address near the bottom of the main results page). He also keeps a separate listing of known factors just for small m.

So far I have listed only the curves I have done myself, plus the few recorded on this page.
These are mis-named. Fermat numbers are 2^2^n+1. Generalized
Fermat numbers are a^2^n + 1 for a > 2. The numbers you refer to should
be called Homogeneous Fermat Numbers.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 12:02   #5
kar_bon
 
kar_bon's Avatar
 
Mar 2006
Germany

2·3·52·19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
These are mis-named. Fermat numbers are 2^2^n+1. Generalized
Fermat numbers are a^2^n + 1 for a > 2. The numbers you refer to should
be called Homogeneous Fermat Numbers.
Although W.Keller named them Gen.Fermat on his page given above but this should reconsidered!
I'm thinking of "Generalized Hyper-Fermat" like S.Harvey did for Woodall/Cullen type (his page).

And:

I've made a small Summary page for W.Kellers table (1 <= a,b <= 12, 0<=n<=19) here (see menu 'Interests').

Should a table for a^(2^m)+1, a={3,5,6,7,8,10,11,12} also be displayed there?

PS: I've named the page "Generalized Hyper Fermat" until the best fit is found.

PPS: "Homogeneous" seems better in view of a^n +/- b^n (Hom.Cunningham).

PPPS: Name changed.

Last fiddled with by kar_bon on 2010-08-26 at 12:23
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 14:44   #6
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))
 
fivemack's Avatar
 
Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

3·72·43 Posts
Default

119^64+1 = 2 * 40071520135245923033887866862313228717813761 * 85337460632264337064075451855088483819126291733854384530962498965366569052147859575225601

next I will do 284^64+1, which has resisted quite a lot of ECM, and 35^128+1
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 15:53   #7
wblipp
 
wblipp's Avatar
 
"William"
May 2003
New Haven

22·32·5·13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemack View Post
119^64+1 = 2 * 40071520135245923033887866862313228717813761 * 85337460632264337064075451855088483819126291733854384530962498965366569052147859575225601

next I will do 284^64+1, which has resisted quite a lot of ECM, and 35^128+1
Somebody needs to do better project coordination. Hisanori's Cyclotomic Numbers project has known this factorization since 2008, and knows the 284^64+1, too.

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~kc2h-msm/cn/

The ^128 ones should be on Morimoto's site, but that seems to be defunct.

All of these should be in Brent's list, too, although it appears he hasn't yet been notified (or perhaps hasn't yet updated)

http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~brent/factors.html
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 03:06   #8
geoff
 
geoff's Avatar
 
Mar 2003
New Zealand

13·89 Posts
Default

Oh no, it looks like I accidentally volunteered for more than I planned to :-) I really only intended to keep track of curves on a^(2^m) + b^(2^m) where b < a <= 12, i.e. the same ones that Wilfrid Keller keeps track of here, discussed in Bjorn & Riesel (1998).

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
These are mis-named. Fermat numbers are 2^2^n+1. Generalized
Fermat numbers are a^2^n + 1 for a > 2. The numbers you refer to should
be called Homogeneous Fermat Numbers.
I don't really mind what they are called, I hadn't heard them called Homogeneous Fermat numbers before. Dubner & Keller (1995) refer to b^2^m + 1 as Generalized Fermat numbers, but then Bjorn & Riesel (1998) refer to a^2^n + b^2^n as "slightly more generalized" forms of the same.

(Just as a practical note, a^2^m = a^(2^m), but GMP-ECM doesn't properly parse a^2^m which is why a^(2^m) is sometimes used instead.)
geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 08:53   #9
Merfighters
 
Merfighters's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
On front of my laptop

7·17 Posts
Default

I reported all known factors of n^64+1, where n<=1000.
That was a time consuming work.

http://factordb.com/new/index.php?qu...at=1&sent=Show
Merfighters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 12:40   #10
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))
 
fivemack's Avatar
 
Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

3×72×43 Posts
Default

19469280117455103039625667255411201 divides 99^128+1

111^128+1 = 2 · 769 · 2697217437953 · 125464289479028905217 . P227

1880787140548365990905051620353281 divides 106^128+1
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 12:45   #11
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

26·113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemack View Post
19469280117455103039625667255411201 divides 99^128+1

111^128+1 = 2 · 769 · 2697217437953 · 125464289479028905217 . P227

1880787140548365990905051620353281 divides 106^128+1
Check Brent's tables!!!!

fivemack: I have. These factors, though small, are new. Or are there some other 'Brent's tables' which aren't http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~brent/ft...ors/factors.gz

Last fiddled with by fivemack on 2010-09-02 at 15:23
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A note on small factors of Fermat numbers Dr Sardonicus Number Theory Discussion Group 1 2017-07-17 11:55
Script for Recognised Generalised Fermat sequence A^2+1 pepi37 Linux 0 2016-02-29 11:57
Use Msieve NFS for small numbers? skan Msieve 8 2013-02-26 20:35
P-1 on small numbers Unregistered Information & Answers 2 2011-08-22 22:53
LLT numbers, linkd with Mersenne and Fermat numbers T.Rex Math 4 2005-05-07 08:25

All times are UTC. The time now is 12:18.

Thu Oct 22 12:18:47 UTC 2020 up 42 days, 9:29, 0 users, load averages: 1.53, 1.88, 1.92

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.