Old 2009-11-05, 16:32   #1
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2·3·5·191 Posts
Default Ubuntu 9.10

How are people finding Ubuntu 9.10? Is it causing people any problems?
This news report suggests people are having major problems.
Should i upgrade or not?
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 17:28   #2
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

2·2,963 Posts

It's working well for me, an improvement over Jaunty. But unless you have a reason to upgrade, I'd hold off a bit for them to address the bugs -- even if there's only (say) a 10% chance it will affect you.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 18:56   #3
Graff

Jul 2006
USA (UT-5) via UK (UT)

111011002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
Should i upgrade or not?
My problems so far:

1) Log files growing rapidly to GBs in size and filling partition.

2) Intel Fortran compiler not compiling. Needs file /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
(not sure why it isn't complaining about /usr/lib64/...). File that was
there has been replaced by libstdc++.so.6.0.13. Attempts to set up
softlinks cause other errors to appear.

I could live with the first problem, the second is a show-stopper.

Crap like this simply reinforces my view that Linux is not ready for
Prime Time. A constant annoyance with every "upgrade": why does
the libstdc++ filename change with each new release?

Seriously considering downgrading to 9.04. Just need to find out how
to do it and hope that the compiler resumes functioning.

Gareth
Graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 05:22   #4
flouran

Dec 2008

2·5·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graff View Post
Seriously considering downgrading to 9.04. Just need to find out how
to do it and hope that the compiler resumes functioning.
Why not use Mundus OS? It's based off of 9.04.
flouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 14:55   #5
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2·3·5·191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouran View Post
Why not use Mundus OS? It's based off of 9.04.
does mundus OS run windows programs at full speed? is it 64 bit? Does it run 64-bit windows apps? Will there be a version based on 9.10 as i like to keep fully up-to-date?

These are questions i will need to answer before i consider it but Mundus does sound tempting.
Old 2009-11-08, 15:41   #6
flouran

Dec 2008

2·5·83 Posts

Quote:
does mundus OS run windows programs at full speed? is it 64 bit? Does it run 64-bit windows apps? Will there be a version based on 9.10 as i like to keep fully up-to-date?
Mundus OS uses WINE to run windows programs. Albeit, this process is rather slow; however, in the next version of Mundus (which will be based off of 9.10), I am modifying the kernel in order to allow for better interfacing between the Windows emulation layer and the native Linux system. But, I am currently weary to update my OS because of all the complaints I am hearing about 9.10. If you would like, I could upload an alpha version of the OS onto sourceforge, just for you. Otherwise, wait a few weeks until the new version of Mundus comes out.

Note: I've only been working on this project for a little over a year now, and unless I can get more people on my team, things will go a little slow (for instance, as of now, the OS still uses Ubuntu's updates).

Last fiddled with by flouran on 2009-11-08 at 15:44
flouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-10, 19:21   #7
Andi47

Oct 2004
Austria

1001101001112 Posts
Default major prob when updating to 9.10 - system killed?

Quote:
Should i upgrade or not?
It seems that I just shoot my linux-installation (dual-boot system with Win XP und Ubuntu) to death:

Upgraded from ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10. Booting up worked fine, but it did not find my internet connection. So I uninstalled the internet connection and re-installed it (clicking "remove connection" in the ?connection manager? and then clicking all the way to install it again).

It still did not work, so I thought it might work to reboot ubuntu. It seemed to boot fine, but when it should display the window to enter user and password, the screen got strangely colored. I had to turn off the computer by pressing the on/off-button for several seconds. Now every time when I try to boot into ubuntu, I get just a prompt ("grub>") saying something like "minimal bash-like environment enabled". When I now press ESC to get into the menue, I can search(?) for several folders or click the options "reboot" and "halt".

"halt" - as the word suggests, just halts the system, while "reboot" (following by selecting "ubuntu" when being asked which system to boot) just reboots to the "grub"-prompt again. (windows XP is still booting and working fine)

Andi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-10, 20:17   #8
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2×3×5×191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi47 View Post
It seems that I just shoot my linux-installation (dual-boot system with Win XP und Ubuntu) to death:

Upgraded from ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10. Booting up worked fine, but it did not find my internet connection. So I uninstalled the internet connection and re-installed it (clicking "remove connection" in the ?connection manager? and then clicking all the way to install it again).

It still did not work, so I thought it might work to reboot ubuntu. It seemed to boot fine, but when it should display the window to enter user and password, the screen got strangely colored. I had to turn off the computer by pressing the on/off-button for several seconds. Now every time when I try to boot into ubuntu, I get just a prompt ("grub>") saying something like "minimal bash-like environment enabled". When I now press ESC to get into the menue, I can search(?) for several folders or click the options "reboot" and "halt".

"halt" - as the word suggests, just halts the system, while "reboot" (following by selecting "ubuntu" when being asked which system to boot) just reboots to the "grub"-prompt again. (windows XP is still booting and working fine)

if you can get everything off the disk except for the usr directory then reinstall ubuntu 9.04 or 9.10 if u are feeling brave and hopefully it should work(9.04 will, no promises for 9.10)
the usr directory will be untouched
you will have to reinstall everything else though like games, updates, drivers etc
this is a last ditch attempt but i did it several times successfully when i kept on messing my installation when i was new to linux(that was with 8.04 but the same should apply)

your problems are why i still havent upgraded
Old 2009-12-11, 08:27   #9
Andi47

Oct 2004
Austria

7·353 Posts

Quote:
if you can get everything off the disk except for the usr directory then reinstall ubuntu 9.04 or 9.10 if u are feeling brave and hopefully it should work(9.04 will, no promises for 9.10)
the usr directory will be untouched
you will have to reinstall everything else though like games, updates, drivers etc
this is a last ditch attempt but i did it several times successfully when i kept on messing my installation when i was new to linux(that was with 8.04 but the same should apply)

your problems are why i still havent upgraded
How do I do this (removing everything except for the usr-directory)?
for example, so far, I used the "cd" command to change to another directory, but in the "minimal bash environment", this command gives an "unrecognized command" error.

Is it possible to access the ubuntu directory (or completely remove the linux partition to start from scratch) from windows?

(fortunately I have installed msieve and ggnfs to the host (i.e. windows-) directory, so they might still work after reinstalling ubuntu - so I just have to re-install a game or two.)

Last fiddled with by Andi47 on 2009-12-11 at 08:29
Old 2009-12-11, 13:06   #10
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

10110011000102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi47 View Post
How do I do this (removing everything except for the usr-directory)?
for example, so far, I used the "cd" command to change to another directory, but in the "minimal bash environment", this command gives an "unrecognized command" error.

Is it possible to access the ubuntu directory (or completely remove the linux partition to start from scratch) from windows?

(fortunately I have installed msieve and ggnfs to the host (i.e. windows-) directory, so they might still work after reinstalling ubuntu - so I just have to re-install a game or two.)
just reinstall ubuntu from cd on the same partition without formating
the installer will do the removal of the old files except the usr directory
in my previous post i was implying that if there is anything you want that isnt in the usr directory then then either copy it in there or onto another partition
personally if there was anything i particularly didnt want to use i would copy it onto another partition anyway
Old 2009-12-13, 16:42   #11
Andi47

Oct 2004
Austria

7×353 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
just reinstall ubuntu from cd on the same partition without formating
the installer will do the removal of the old files except the usr directory
in my previous post i was implying that if there is anything you want that isnt in the usr directory then then either copy it in there or onto another partition
personally if there was anything i particularly didnt want to use i would copy it onto another partition anyway
In the first try, re-installing ubuntu 9.04 crashed, but I tried again immediately and then it worked. And this time I will NOT upgrade to 9.10.

Last fiddled with by Andi47 on 2009-12-13 at 16:43