mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2020-09-27, 18:23   #199
LOBES

Mar 2019
USA

1416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
To LOBES: Regardless of fault, I regret the involuntary poaching. Wasted work is a disappointment, and slows the progress. Thanks for your understanding.
No need for regret at all my friend. You and I go back and forth on the 75 and 76 TFs all the time....and I knew you were using Colab. Stuff happens, no big deal.

I have a C720 Chromebook that is far past its AUE that works great as a Colab only machine. Damn shame though since it was a fantastic little machine.
LOBES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-27, 23:04   #200
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

7×1,429 Posts

kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 00:39   #201
mrk74

Jan 2020

31 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but

1. If you are currently TF'ing (or P-1 for that matter) the number shows up in View Assignments.

2. Once said Assignment is done it shows up in View Completed.

I ask because I just got done doing a TF and it didn't show up while I was doing it OR after completed. It's odd that it shows up on the main website as done on the correct day but the user is listed as something different than I'm used to seeing. Oddly enough it is a GPU72 account.

Edit: I have 2 accounts running at the same time and I'm noticing one IS reporting and the other either isn't reporting or it is but somehow I'm not getting credit.

Edit #2: I THINK I figured it out. For some reason my access key wasn't entered on the account that wasn't reporting. UGH!

Last fiddled with by mrk74 on 2020-10-02 at 00:57 Reason: Added info
mrk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 21:30   #202
butera

Oct 2012

2×5 Posts

I've been running Google Colab on and off the past two weeks, doing GPU trial factoring. I subscribed to test out the increased limits since I was hitting them often during the day, sometimes in less than two hours.

I'll likely have my PC on about 14-16 hours a day. I already have one notebook active. Are multiple notebooks allowed to be run on the same account at the same time? I want to see if I can push my contributions.
butera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 22:10   #203
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

36316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butera View Post
I've been running Google Colab on and off the past two weeks, doing GPU trial factoring. I subscribed to test out the increased limits since I was hitting them often during the day, sometimes in less than two hours.

I'll likely have my PC on about 14-16 hours a day. I already have one notebook active. Are multiple notebooks allowed to be run on the same account at the same time? I want to see if I can push my contributions.
Yes when I was on a paid account I ran four notebooks at a time.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 22:41   #204
butera

Oct 2012

2·5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Yes when I was on a paid account I ran four notebooks at a time.
I'm assuming you created 4 notebook access keys on gputo72, right?
butera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 22:42   #205
Aramis Wyler

"Bill Staffen"
Jan 2013
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

409 Posts

Yeah, for a while I ran 3 doing TF and 1 doing gpuowl, but now I run all 4 on gpuowl. They tend to go about 20 hours, with a 3 hour window until you can restart them.
Aramis Wyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-03, 00:19   #206
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1000310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis Wyler View Post
Yeah, for a while I ran 3 doing TF and 1 doing gpuowl, but now I run all 4 on gpuowl. They tend to go about 20 hours, with a 3 hour window until you can restart them.
That is a great piece of information! My experience is that 2 notebooks per Free account will just about always work. BUT those are CPU-only. They will run about 20 hours, sometimes better.
My current lineup is 4 GPU notebooks each on 2 paid accounts. These run about 22-24 hours. I run the two accounts overlapping, but staggered to distribute the restart timeouts.

Then I have 2 each P-1 notebooks on 4 free accounts. These usually will run for about 20 hours. Sometimes a notebook will stop sooner; and if I try to restart it I am told that I have "too many sessions." This generally affects just one account. I shut down the offending session until the next mass restart.
Old 2020-10-03, 00:40   #207
LOBES

Mar 2019
USA

22×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
That is a great piece of information! My experience is that 2 notebooks per Free account will just about always work. BUT those are CPU-only. They will run about 20 hours, sometimes better.
My current lineup is 4 GPU notebooks each on 2 paid accounts. These run about 22-24 hours. I run the two accounts overlapping, but staggered to distribute the restart timeouts.

Then I have 2 each P-1 notebooks on 4 free accounts. These usually will run for about 20 hours. Sometimes a notebook will stop sooner; and if I try to restart it I am told that I have "too many sessions." This generally affects just one account. I shut down the offending session until the next mass restart.
How do you run two separate colabs using the same Google account? As soon as I try to start up a second one when logged into the same account, it immediately connects to the other hosted runtime. I don't see how to run more than one colab window using the same Google account.

So I have one running on my paid Colab, and two dummy Google accounts that run low level TFing.
LOBES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-03, 00:51   #208
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

15438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butera View Post
I'm assuming you created 4 notebook access keys on gputo72, right?
No, I used the same one multiple times.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-03, 01:12   #209
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

7×1,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOBES View Post
How do you run two separate colabs using the same Google account? As soon as I try to start up a second one when logged into the same account, it immediately connects to the other hosted runtime. I don't see how to run more than one colab window using the same Google account.

So I have one running on my paid Colab, and two dummy Google accounts that run low level TFing.
The current setup has developed hit-or-miss fashion. There is a procedure I have found to work pretty well. I found it very frustrating at first, though I was trying to score T4 sessions on the freebees in the beginning. Those tended to run 1.5 hours. I don't remember how many notebooks I was running per account. [EDIT: But that is probably documented earlier in this thread.] had set up multiple Gmail accounts, on top of the 2 I'm using as "paid." I went Paid early on, and added a second soon after.

The 4 I now use for free accounts have variations in the names, though they are obviously connected.
I will try to do a step-by-step of logging in, starting from totally logged out of Gmail. Give me a little while to take care of stuff here, and I will write it up.
EDIT2: Do I remember correctly that you are using one Notebook Access Key for everything? Based on chalsall's advice, I started creating a key for each notebook. This lets you track them more easily. Using a single key may be behind switching to the same runtime every time on the same account. There may be nothing to differentiate them. I currently have 15 access keys, though some of them are probably less used. 2 are completely disused.
  1. I suspect the rest of what I say may depend on the access keys to work. Go to https://www.gpu72.com/account/instances/new/ (See 1st attachment) For the moment, Instance Name is all you need to be concerned about. Let's say you have a Gmail account in which you are going to set up notebooks. Assume that you will be able to run 2 notebooks. They will be associated with this particular account, so they should have brief names which show that. I suggest using the same name followed by (space)01 or 02. This is important for maintaining your sanity down the line if you really get into this. I learned this the hard way because I had no idea how much I could get away with. Consequently I stumbled around with haphazard names. The Instance name should be the Notebook/session name. The second attachment show one of my Google drives with two notebooks.
  2. I know this is not a graceful exit, but I am getting fuzzy, and we have a ways to go. I think I may have a handle on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Notebook Access.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	23462   Click image for larger version

Name:	MyDriveNotebooks.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	23466  

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-10-07 at 00:47 Reason: Removed distracting nonsense