mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2019-07-11, 20:59   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts
Default Want to buy an Android tablet, but also have the Android version be consistently updated.

I am absolutely sick of Samsung not keeping up with Android updates. As far as I can tell, their policy for updates is simply,"We've already got your money, so go **** yourself."

What's the best company to buy an Android tablet from if you want reasonably good hardware and reliable updating policies? Would I need to subscribe to an updating service?

Your advice is appreciated, even if you just send me to a website. :)
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-11, 22:55   #2
M344587487

"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

3×13×17 Posts

Good luck with that. I hear google Nexus devices are the best because they often aren't modified much from stock android, the other device manufacturer's tend to add their bloatware and that apparently takes months to years to never to do. Google don't have recent tablets AFAIK and Samsung are the next logical choice. Maybe someone more versed in android can help you out but I think you're out of luck.
M344587487 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-11, 23:58   #3
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

23×19×29 Posts

I've been buying Google-brand phones the last 5-6 years for exactly this reason: I was angry that my Galaxy {whatevermodelnumber} was no longer getting updates, and Google pushes OS updates for many years for their own devices.
Alas, I believe they're out of the tablet market.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-12, 00:14   #4
GP2

Sep 2003

29·89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
I've been buying Google-brand phones the last 5-6 years for exactly this reason: I was angry that my Galaxy {whatevermodelnumber} was no longer getting updates, and Google pushes OS updates for many years for their own devices.
Alas, I believe they're out of the tablet market.
Google has tiny market share for their phones, and they're probably afraid to increase it lest they attract even more antitrust scrutiny. Google also routinely kills products that don't get sufficient market share, and even some that do.

So I don't believe Google-branded Android phones are here to stay for the long haul, and the lack of security updates for all the rest is a dealbreaker. The only solution is to grit your teeth and take a wheelbarrow full of cash to the nearest Apple store.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-12, 00:21   #5
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

23×19×29 Posts

I am reaching this exact conclusion! I'm afraid my next Pixel will be my last for the reasons you listed, and subsequent phones may be Apple. There's some shred of hope for a more open-source phone by then...
Old 2019-07-12, 02:03   #6
dcheuk

Jan 2019
Pittsburgh, PA

3×7×11 Posts

Here's my story:

I was originally very "loyal" to Apple, owning nothing but iPhones (3g, 4, 5s, 6, 6s, 7, 8, x) and Macs only, until Apple screwed me over on a battery replacement (long story short, I sent in a working iPhone X for battery replacement, then I got an iPhone back that is all scratched up, no longer working, and Apple claimed that it was originally in that condition). After contacting them numerous times, through my state attorney and even the BBB, I received the same answer. At some point I received a signed letter from Apple's attorney basically says "you can take us to court, but we have infinite amount of resources."

After that I traded in all my personal Apple devices and switched over to Andriod. The first device I tried is Samsung Galaxy S9+. I don't use any digital assistant (for Samsung this is Bixby) so the extra button is very annoying. Also there are lots of bloatware on the Galaxy I noticed and it is almost frustrating how long Samsung took to upgrade Andriod 8 to 9.

Shortly I traded in The Galaxy for a Google Pixel 3 XL. The OS is stock with no modification (it's Google ... figures). If someone doesn't have a Google account or uses a lot of google services, then this is definitely not a phone for the individual. I also noticed that Google pushes out an update in the beginning of every month. The Apps are basically all Google services, Gmail app kinda sucks if you have another email other than Gmail. iOS overall does a better job imho.

I really like the clean Andriod though on the Pixel, but question: doesn't owning a Google phone screams "Google owns you now?" since they have all my location, email, contacts, calls and messaging history?

And yes, I don't know anyone other than myself that owns a Google Pixel.

Though, I am very jealous of Samsung's system wide dark mode, which is not yet available on Pixel. It is rumored to be implemented on Andriod 10.

Last fiddled with by dcheuk on 2019-07-12 at 02:04
dcheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-12, 02:45   #7
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

23×19×29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheuk View Post
I really like the clean Andriod though on the Pixel, but question: doesn't owning a Google phone screams "Google owns you now?" since they have all my location, email, contacts, calls and messaging history?
I didn't worry about this for a long time, and now I'm very sad that Google is being so aggressive with advertising and data-gathering; more like I'm sad I chose Google as my overlord. Their recent tactics have converted me away from Chrome and to duckduckgo for search; tiny steps, more support for competitors than any actual independence from Giant G.
Old 2019-07-12, 09:45   #8
M344587487

"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

3×13×17 Posts

Quote:
Yes it does. You can take steps to de-google an android device (obviously not as good as not using one but it's something) and if you think this way you probably should. Root the device, replace the google apps with FOSS alternatives from F-Droid (the reason google don't need to modify android with their own bloatware is because it's already included), use a separate google account just for this device (compartmentalise your digital footprint so they at least have to work to connect the dots). Spend an hour locking every apps permissions and wonder why half of them need access to your text messages. Disable location, NFC, Sync, all the usual suspects. Then simply smash your phone with a hammer and get an old Nokia, problem solved.
M344587487 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-12, 10:09   #9
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

132778 Posts

It is amazing and depressing to me just how many people happily accept that companies like Goog, Appl, FB, etc. are relentlessly and maliciously influencing and exploiting them for as much as possible. Naturally it is all in return for all the "free" bollocks "news" ... and to stalk their friends and enemies.

Click here to like this post
Click here to subscribe to this topic

[img]http://tracking.doubleclick.com/webbug.gif?site=mersenneforum.org&content=spy_track_exploit&subject=android&user_rating=low_quality&user_auto_subscribe_to_spam=yes&insert_ever_cookie=yes&tracking_level=11&pester_user_to_log_in=yes&ask_user_for_more_personal_information=yes&show_more_advertising=yes&run_bitcoin_miner=yes&log_IP_and_GPS_coords=yes&turn_on_mic_and_send_audio_to_server=yes&allow_user_some_peace_and_quiet=no[/img]
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 01:47   #10
dcheuk

Jan 2019
Pittsburgh, PA

3×7×11 Posts

Well we are giving up some privacy for convenience. I don't think there's any product out there where the phone manufacture doesn't mine your data. If we are to care too much about privacy and security the best way to go is a flip phone without camera I guess but that would probably be very inconvenient for most people.

Best we can do? Use paid email services w/ PGP; disable all location services (or at least you think you did lol) on phone; boycott Google search or any products that based on privacy policies rather than end-to-end encryption (I think iMessage satisfies this requirement); shutdown all social media.
dcheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 01:56   #11
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

32·647 Posts

Quote:
Well we are giving up some privacy for convenience. I don't think there's any product out there where the phone manufacture doesn't mine your data. If we are to care too much about privacy and security the best way to go is a flip phone without camera I guess but that would probably be very inconvenient for most people.
I think you have another assumption there. A flip phone is also not required. I only have a desktop land line phone. Mobile phone not required.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote