Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2013-02-13, 16:24   #1
bmorgan

"William Morgan"
Feb 2013
Erie, PA

216 Posts
Question Brand New to Prime95

This isn't exactly a server problem, but I haven't seen another place to post this.

I downloaded and installed Prime95 v27.9 build 1 before I registered at mersenne.org... So any packets I complete are being credited to 'Anonymous'.

I know have an account at mersenne.org, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get that information into Prime95. The website told me when I registered it's easy... So I MUST be an idiot.

Is there any help out here for us idiots?
bmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 17:21   #2
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

113558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorgan View Post
This isn't exactly a server problem, but I haven't seen another place to post this.

I downloaded and installed Prime95 v27.9 build 1 before I registered at mersenne.org... So any packets I complete are being credited to 'Anonymous'.

I know have an account at mersenne.org, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get that information into Prime95. The website told me when I registered it's easy... So I MUST be an idiot.

I had the same problem when I joined the new server, don't worry...

From what you say, you should have joined using the "Join GIMPS!" button on Prime95...
Did you also creaate an account on http://www.mersenne.org ? The link is on the menu on the left, the yellow one: click on the plus sign, and look for the right one...

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 18:00   #3
bcp19

Oct 2011

7×97 Posts

Quote:

In P95, goto Advanced tab and then Primenet. Enter your user ID and a computer name if you so desire. Now all results will credit to your userid.
bcp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 01:42   #4
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

22·3·72·17 Posts

There is no problem if you report work as anonymous. Many people do. If you find a prime, be sure that we will find you, even if you are anonymous :D

The main reason to input a name in that box (btw, is Test/Primenet, and not Advanced/Primenet, as someone said) is to be able to boast to your friends or to the forum: "Hey, look what high status I have" or "Look how much I have contributed to this project"

We all do this occasionally...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2013-02-14 at 01:44
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 01:46   #5
bmorgan

"William Morgan"
Feb 2013
Erie, PA

2 Posts
Smile I'm 97% sure it's fixed now.

OK, that seems to have fixed it... (I think) We'll see...

I did establish a PrimeNet ID (i-Simplify) but that was AFTER I had installed Prime95. I went to the Test/PrimeNet option, and entered my PrimeNet ID. It took it, and didn't indicate there was any problem. I'm going to assume it's fixed. :)

Thanks all!

- Bill
bmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 22:06   #6
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
The website told me when I registered it's easy... So I MUST be an idiot.
Getting that information into Prime95 is easy (once you know how) ... but it's not obvious ... so you're not an idiot.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote