Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2016-05-09, 19:09   #1
CuriousKit

"J. Gareth Moreton"
Feb 2015
Nomadic

101 Posts
Unhappy Strange loss of identity information

I've had this happen twice now to two different computers.

It seems that sometimes, after a computer restart, the Windows version of Prime95 v28.7 build 1 forgets the computer details and thinks it's never run before (looks like prime.txt gets emptied).

After putting my user name back in (it remembers the computer name for some reason), I get a CPU identity mismatch. While it doesn't lose the work-to-do file or the progress of the current tasks, the computer is no longer trusted and it has to do double-checks and low-priority Lucas-Lehmer tests again for a while, not to mention two entries for the same computer appear on the website. Is there a way to rectify or prevent this from happening (short of merging the two duplicate entries and putting up with low-priority work for a while)?
CuriousKit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-09, 20:50   #2
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

22×5×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousKit View Post
I've had this happen twice now to two different computers.

It seems that sometimes, after a computer restart, the Windows version of Prime95 v28.7 build 1 forgets the computer details and thinks it's never run before (looks like prime.txt gets emptied).

After putting my user name back in (it remembers the computer name for some reason), I get a CPU identity mismatch. While it doesn't lose the work-to-do file or the progress of the current tasks, the computer is no longer trusted and it has to do double-checks and low-priority Lucas-Lehmer tests again for a while, not to mention two entries for the same computer appear on the website. Is there a way to rectify or prevent this from happening (short of merging the two duplicate entries and putting up with low-priority work for a while)?
I don't know what would cause your installation to lose it's configuration files...that sounds kind of weird and maybe it's a permissions thing, depending on where you've installed it?

There's an undoc.txt feature that you can add that tells Prime95 not to create a new machine GUID if it detects any change in your hardware, but in your case I don't think that would do any good anyway if you're losing your config files in the first place.

The default computer name used by Prime95 comes from the OS, so there's nothing special there.

Yeah, you definitely need to get to the root of the problem and find out where your config files are disappearing off to. local.txt, prime.txt, worktodo.txt are the ones to pay attention to.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-10, 03:29   #3
CuriousKit

"J. Gareth Moreton"
Feb 2015
Nomadic

101 Posts

That's the other slighty confusing thing... I'm not changing my hardware (the computer in question is a laptop). The only difference I noticed is that the measured CPU speed is one MHz faster for some reason, which I presume is enough to make a new GUID. Attempting to study undoc now.

I have Prime95 installed under my "C:\Users\Owner" directory.
Old 2016-05-10, 03:56   #4
CuriousKit

"J. Gareth Moreton"
Feb 2015
Nomadic

10110 Posts

Well I ended up making 4 copies of the CPU! I couldn't get the original to work again due to an access denied error, presumably because I lost the original ServerUID setting. So for now I've sucked up my losses and just merged everything. I'll put up with low-priority assignments for now.

I also updated the program version to 28.9 to see if that helps at all.
Old 2016-05-10, 05:09   #5
S485122

"Jacob"
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

26×29 Posts

The default computer ID does not come from the OS, in the current version of the software it is left blank. It is stored in local.txt. The user ID is stored in prime.txt. The assignments kept in worktodo.txt are preserved as well.

It seems as if your local.txt and worktodo.txt are kept while the prime.txt is ignored.

Did you look in prime.log to see if there was anything of interest ?

I would check the permissions on the folder and set them to propagate via the advanced security dialogue.

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-10, 05:15   #6
CuriousKit

"J. Gareth Moreton"
Feb 2015
Nomadic

101 Posts

The only information of note in the log files are the "CPU identity mismatch" errors (PrimeNet error 33). All the configuration files have full read/write access.

Part of me wonders if it's a weird timing issue during Windows start-up, but I'm just guessing here - otherwise I have no real idea why it's happening. Prime95 starts and I get a message asking if I want to join GIMPS or do stress testing.

One possible clue though is that the folder properties indicated that at least one file was read-only (and this is still indicated even if you tell the OS to unset this flag), although selecting all of the files themselves indicates that none of them have that attribute set. Aah, Windows, you're so strange!

Last fiddled with by CuriousKit on 2016-05-10 at 05:17
Old 2016-05-10, 16:56   #7
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

22·5·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousKit View Post
The only information of note in the log files are the "CPU identity mismatch" errors (PrimeNet error 33). All the configuration files have full read/write access.

Part of me wonders if it's a weird timing issue during Windows start-up, but I'm just guessing here - otherwise I have no real idea why it's happening. Prime95 starts and I get a message asking if I want to join GIMPS or do stress testing.

One possible clue though is that the folder properties indicated that at least one file was read-only (and this is still indicated even if you tell the OS to unset this flag), although selecting all of the files themselves indicates that none of them have that attribute set. Aah, Windows, you're so strange!
Do you have any of those files open in another program that might have locked it for use (exclusive file handle)? Or, to be more general, have you rebooted lately to see if it helps (the old "did you try turning it off and then on again?" question)

You could use some tools like the SysInternals stuff to check for any open handles to specific files, or just the folder where those are located, and see if something funky is happening.

You could even use the Sysinternals "Process Monitor" tool and have it watch that directory as you start Prime95 to see if any strange errors show up, or have it watch the Prime95 process to see if it reports anything odd (errors loading files, etc).
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-10, 17:44   #8
TObject

Feb 2012

40510 Posts

Depending on how UAC Shadowing is configured, it is worth checking the following folder to make sure Prime95 config files did not end up there somehow.

%LocalAppData%\VirtualStore
TObject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-10, 18:05   #9
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

D5716 Posts

I suggest you move the Prime95 folder to somewhere that is not read only restricted like c:\Prime95 or c:\users\<username>\desktop\Prime95 or another partition.

c:\users\<username> might be protected and the same with "c:\program files" and "c:\program files(x86)"
ATH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-10, 18:16   #10
CuriousKit

"J. Gareth Moreton"
Feb 2015
Nomadic

10110 Posts

The problem occurred after a fresh reboot, so I don't think it was a locked file handle. Since it's only occurred twice for me over the last year, it's going to be hard to pinpoint, although I'll try your suggestion and have SysInternals watch the directory and see if it can pinpoint something.

One thing I do know though... if the directory is part of a network share and it starts to synchronise, the data files become write-protected, or at least Prime95 can't write the progress of the current tasks, and I have to be careful (usually by manually breaking the network link) so I don't lose said progress (it's still in the program's memory, so all I have to do is let it be able to write the files again).

I would ponder about better error checking on start-up, but I'm not sure if this will help, or if it can't read any of the configuration files or just one or two in particular (I assume that an empty directory, other than the executable, means the computer is definitely a new addition to GIMPS).

Given that the CPU identification key changes, I'm wondering if there's some subtle system change that causes it to reset, since it thinks the hardware has changed (I know, both times, that it wasn't the case because the computers in question were laptops).

Difficult one. The temperamental bugs are the worst.
Old 2016-05-10, 18:18   #11
CuriousKit

"J. Gareth Moreton"
Feb 2015
Nomadic

101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
I suggest you move the Prime95 folder to somewhere that is not read only restricted like c:\Prime95 or c:\users\<username>\desktop\Prime95 or another partition.

c:\users\<username> might be protected and the same with "c:\program files" and "c:\program files(x86)"
It's actually why I stored them in C:\Users\<username> in the first place, because Program Files had too many difficulties with permissions and security... the big one being that it ends up reading and writing completely different files if I run the program as a user or an administrator (a big one to be careful of for any program, since the files that are written in user mode are all but inaccessible conventionally).

Even the root directory has permission issues sometimes, leaving my user space as the only safe haven.

Last fiddled with by CuriousKit on 2016-05-10 at 18:19