Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2016-04-09, 11:12   #1
CuriousKit

"J. Gareth Moreton"
Feb 2015
Nomadic

101 Posts
Exclamation Unfortunate progress loss - bad network sync

So I had the misfortune of losing almost all of my progress on one of my LL tasks (78,322,157)... it was at 95%, but then returned to 0.67% because of what I can only gather was a bad network sync (I have the Prime95 progress on my work computers on a network share, primarily for backup purposes)... when I logged on, it decided that the version on the server should replace the local copy, with no input or prompt from me, and said server file was a month out of date.

There's no saving the old progress - believe me, I've tried - but it's still annoying to see over a month's work go down the drain. *sighs* Thankfully the other task that was running on that computer didn't have a copy of its files on the server, so it was able to complete.

If there's a lesson to take from this, and that goes to anyone who has a similar set-up, take an offline backup periodically, especially if you're changing networks or your password has changed.
CuriousKit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 14:44   #2
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

23×7×61 Posts

Maybe you should run Prime95 locally and then make automatic backups to the network drive instead. Then if you loose the local progress you can manually copy the backup from the network drive to the local drive.

EDIT:

Is this a Windows machine? If so then it sounds like the culprit might be the notorious Microsoft Sync Center, which is a terrible application in my opinion. Only use Sync Center if you are very sure of what you are doing, and even then I would not recommend it.

If you have administrator rights you can disable the "Offline Files" service in services.msc You can also disable it in "gpedit.msc" under "Computer Configuration" - "Administrative Templates" - Network - "Offline Files" - "Allow or Disallow use of the Offline Files feature" = Disabled.

Last fiddled with by ATH on 2016-04-09 at 14:51
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 15:33   #3
CuriousKit

"J. Gareth Moreton"
Feb 2015
Nomadic

101 Posts

Unfortunately yes, I was a victim of Microsoft Sync Center. I think with the laptop I will switch to storing Prime95 files locally, outside of the Sync Center's reach! The machine isn't often on the corporate network, but I don't have permission to change the services, I don't think. Thankfully the exponent is well away from Category 1, so it won't expire, but still frustrating to lose that progress, especially when it was so close to completion before.

And yeah, I'm doing what your avatar is doing... D'oh!

Last fiddled with by CuriousKit on 2016-04-09 at 16:20
CuriousKit is offline   Reply With Quote