mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2015-04-09, 06:32   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts
Default Is there a program that simulates high frequencies hearing loss?

I've seen websites on the internet that show what the world looks like to various forms of colorblind people, but is there a program that can simulate various forms of hearing loss?
Found one :)

I'll be honest. While I didn't listen to all of them, the only difference I could tell, personally, was in the volume. Are the sibilants(I think that's the right word) different to any of you?
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 08:01   #2
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

110111001012 Posts

In ordinary telephone calls, only frequencies below 4kHz are passed through.
Do people sound different for you on the phone compared with real life?
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 10:04   #3
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

26·181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
In ordinary telephone calls, only frequencies below 4kHz are passed through.
Do people sound different for you on the phone compared with real life?
I have high-frequency hearing loss so I don't need a simulator.

For me the main effects, AFAICT, is that I can't hear some things (obviously) like skylarks and that conversation in noisy environments ("cocktail parties") is much more difficult to interpret.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 17:10   #4
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

270616 Posts

Like Paul, I also have some high-frequency hearing loss.
...However, it's not too bad -- because tinnitus compensates for that!
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 17:43   #5
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
Like Paul, I also have some high-frequency hearing loss.
...However, it's not too bad -- because tinnitus compensates for that!
I think I may be lucky in the sense that I grew up thinking that the high-pitch squealing of (mild) tinnitus was what nothing sounded like. Now even in the dead of night, I hear a constant little half-fizz half-squeal and it doesn't bother me one bit.
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 23:01   #6
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×5,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
...but is there a program that can simulate various forms of hearing loss?
Sure...

Put on some headphones attached to your computer (or, if you're old style, your stereo system) and play with the equalizer fed by some input audio stream. (I'd immediately think of Mark Knopfler, Laurie Anderson and/or Annie Lennox (or TWMBO). There will likely be further suggestions about the software options...)

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2015-04-09 at 23:16 Reason: Damn... The cut left a non-closing [QUOTE; s/SWMBO/TWMBO/;
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-08, 09:45   #7
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Sure...

Put on some headphones attached to your computer (or, if you're old style, your stereo system) and play with the equalizer fed by some input audio stream. (I'd immediately think of Mark Knopfler, Laurie Anderson and/or Annie Lennox (or TWMBO). There will likely be further suggestions about the software options...)
Coming back months later, I think I should've said hearing test.

Youtube has a hearing test, it was really easy to find. Turns out I have the hearing of a senior citizen.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote