mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math

Old 2005-11-03, 21:30   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

350710 Posts
Default Shouldn't people who want the $100,000 prime-prize be going to Fatphil for help?

Maybe I'm just being a retard monkey for asking this, but since Fatphil's methods seem to yield more primes for less work, shouldn't people be attempting to either recruit him or imitate some of the stuff he does?

Not having a clue how Phi(x,y) works, or what it means, I'm willing to be told it doesn't apply, but I'm a little curious.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-03, 21:45   #2
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

5×113 Posts

The FFT's Phil is using don't work for numbers of that size and they probably won't anytime soon.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-04, 10:09   #3
fatphil

May 2003

22×61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong
Maybe I'm just being a retard monkey for asking this, but since Fatphil's methods seem to yield more primes for less work, shouldn't people be attempting to either recruit him or imitate some of the stuff he does?

Not having a clue how Phi(x,y) works, or what it means, I'm willing to be told it doesn't apply, but I'm a little curious.
They almost certainly don't yield more primes for less work than the most efficient searches out there. George's FFTs are faster, and the limiting factor in this game is the FFTs.

I, with my Phi(3*2^t,b) am merely imitating Yves Gallot, and his GFN (Phi(2^n,b)) project. By virtue of the fact that my calculations take place in the Eisenstein integers rather than the Gaussian integers (or transformed floating point approximations thereto), my code _has_ to be slower than Yves', as I _have_ to do more work than him (mapping between the 2 spaces).

That's not to say that I defer entirely to Yves in this field. I've recently achieved something that, after several months of discussion and trial and error (all error) a few years back, Yves concluded was impossible. Fortunately I'm more stubborn than him.
fatphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-04, 21:56   #4
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

66638 Posts

I only understood part of what Fatphil said, but I got the answer I was seeking. Having a math education that was cut way short, I'm hoping my college can help me get the understanding I want in, maybe, 5 years. I love math, but my government check I get(because of mental illness) is very small.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-06, 01:13   #5
fatphil

May 2003

22·61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong
I only understood part of what Fatphil said, but I got the answer I was seeking. Having a math education that was cut way short, I'm hoping my college can help me get the understanding I want in, maybe, 5 years. I love math, but my government check I get(because of mental illness) is very small.
Gaussian integers are just x+iy where x and y are integers.
Eisenstein integers are x+wy where x and y are integers, and w is the complex cubic root of 1. See the project logo for a definition of w.
Old 2005-11-06, 01:23   #6
fatphil

May 2003

F416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue
The FFT's Phil is using don't work for numbers of that size and they probably won't anytime soon.
I use completely different FFTs -- DJB's and YG's. DJB's have hit the brick wall, but in doing so have found hundreds of top-5000 primes. YG's are better utilised in his own projects for the reasons I previously mention.