mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Data > Marin's Mersenne-aries

Old 2020-07-25, 04:01   #23
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2·5·421 Posts

Maybe v30 should be called Prime10

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2020-07-25 at 04:19
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-25, 05:07   #24
Fan Ming

Oct 2019

5·19 Posts

That's just a meaning of important update, not means we should call it security update.
I never mean that everyone should update to new version, but some with machines that get "LL-first test" option. I do believe that most this kind of users don't want to contribute their machines to pure DC work, and that's the problem that should be solved, since most of their machines are capable of first time work, and they chose first time work, but they got all DC work now.
Yes, it's common sense that such kind of volunteer project should encourage people to participant, for example, we stop assigning LL-first test assignment, but shouldn't stop accepting LL first time results.
Moreover, that's totally different with what Microsoft did, and not a good idea for some to quote out of context and call it deceiving and ashamed.

Last fiddled with by Fan Ming on 2020-07-25 at 05:08
Fan Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-25, 06:21   #25
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

1061310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Ming View Post
It's indeed that there shouldn't be automatically update for this kind of software. But this is an important update that can be seen as necessary security update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Calling v30 a "security update" is quite a stretch.
Quote:
That's just a meaning of important update, not means we should call it security update.....
Moreover, that's totally different with what Microsoft did, and not a good idea for some to quote out of context and call it deceiving and ashamed.
You are not being quoted out of context. You poach assignments and you want to force software onto people's machines. That is not how this project runs. This is a project that is founded in part on having fun. Shoving unneeded "security updates" on to people's machines is not fun. Making milestones is fun. Poaching to do it is not fun. You don't seem to understand the ethos of the project.

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2020-07-25 at 06:22
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-25, 06:55   #26
Fan Ming

Oct 2019

5F16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
You are not being quoted out of context. You poach assignments and you want to force software onto people's machines. That is not how this project runs. This is a project that is founded in part on having fun. Shoving unneeded "security updates" on to people's machines is not fun. Making milestones is fun. Poaching to do it is not fun. You don't seem to understand the ethos of the project.
I didn't mean George quoted out of context. My last sentence "Moreover, that's totally different with what Microsoft did, and not a good idea for some to quote out of context and call it deceiving and ashamed" that's clearly not refer to George.

As for poaching, I've explained in this post: https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...postcount=3294
If you have any suggestion or feedback, please reply or PM me.

"Shoving unneeded "security updates" on to people's machines is not fun"
As I've decribed for several times, some kind of user may don't want to contribute their machine to do pure DC work. I believe most of them prefer to get a convenient way (not necessarily automatic update, that's just a proposal, and if not feasible, there may be other measures) to update to newer versions rather than do DC work. And "security update" is just a metaphor, so my expressions in this post may be unclear.

"and you want to force software onto people's machines" I never mean this. Again, I just believe that most this kind of user prefer to get a convenient way (not necessarily automatic update, that's just a proposal, and if not feasible, there may be other measures) to update to newer versions rather than do DC work. I just pointed out the problem, and more measures should be taken.

"You don't seem to understand the ethos of the project" Nope. You seem misunderstood what I meant.

Last fiddled with by Fan Ming on 2020-07-25 at 07:05
Old 2020-07-25, 10:16   #27
Fan Ming

Oct 2019

5·19 Posts

What I propose is that I believe this is indeed a problem, as many this kind of user prefer to do first test, and they may not want to contribute their machines to pure DC work. I believe some measures need to be taken to guarantee the right of this kind of users.
I'm not a fraudster and I'm trying hard to express what I mean. If I was a fraudster, I won't trying hard to explain this so many times. I'm not native English speaker so there may be some misunderstanding, I'm really sorry for that.
I believe some people that questioned my intention are also aim to the users right and the good ongoing of this project, and our aims are not different. It's the common sense that there should be encouragement for participants in this kind of volunteer project, and many other things, of course I know these.

Last fiddled with by Fan Ming on 2020-07-25 at 10:19
Old 2020-07-25, 14:06   #28
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

23×32×11 Posts
Default # LL DCs

What is the estimate for the # of outstanding LL DC tests?
TIA
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-25, 14:15   #29
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

10,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
What is the estimate for the # of outstanding LL DC tests?
TIA
Rough order of magnitude estimate 650000
Old 2020-07-25, 15:12   #30
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

11·599 Posts

And https://www.mersenne.org/report_milestones/ typically gives counts to the Mersenne primes not yet fully double checked beneath. Currently that says
  • Countdown to verifying all tests below M(57 885 161): 60 635
  • Countdown to verifying all tests below M(74 207 281): 368 749
  • Countdown to verifying all tests below M(77 232 917): 424 809
  • Countdown to verifying all tests below M(82 589 933): 523 697
At the rate we're going currently, we'll remove the asterisk from Mp48* soon, perhaps next year.
More first-time LL results coming in continue to add, while matching LLDCs subtract, from the total.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-07-25 at 15:13
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-25, 17:02   #31
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

11110111001002 Posts

Quote:
What I propose is that I believe this is indeed a problem, as many this kind of user prefer to do first test, and they may not want to contribute their machines to pure DC work. I believe some measures need to be taken to guarantee the right of this kind of users.
I'm not a fraudster and I'm trying hard to express what I mean
I do not believe you are a fraudster. I do believe there are some English language issues that may be exacerbating the discussion.

I get your point that some (most) users do not want to do 100% DC work. Those users will have the option to upgrade to v30 in a reasonable time frame. IMO, forced upgrade is not the preferred solution.

As to poaching, please don't. The server has rules in place to make sure milestones are achieved at a steady pace. Poaching needlessly annoys (enrages?) a fellow GIMPS user.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-26, 03:08   #32
Fan Ming

Oct 2019

5F16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I do not believe you are a fraudster. I do believe there are some English language issues that may be exacerbating the discussion.

I get your point that some (most) users do not want to do 100% DC work. Those users will have the option to upgrade to v30 in a reasonable time frame. IMO, forced upgrade is not the preferred solution.

As to poaching, please don't. The server has rules in place to make sure milestones are achieved at a steady pace. Poaching needlessly annoys (enrages?) a fellow GIMPS user.
The main point is even users have no response after a resonable time frame, that doesn't mean they want to contribute their machines for pure DC work either. They may prefer their mprime to be updated automatically and continue to do first-time test work rather than this. So I propose this idea. I would like to see the discussion on the actual feasibility(and yes, it seems not feasible), or some more measures, rather than put signs on me as fraudster and assert that I want to tell lies to deceive user to update. If this can help with the problem, of course I would like to be ashamed...

As for poaching, the situation mentioned hardly happens, and this doesn't mean when I saw some active assignments left I'll poach to achieve milestones. The milestones themselves don't make sense for me either. Since this is not relevant to the topic, and I've already explained elsewhere, I'll not mention more here.

Last fiddled with by Fan Ming on 2020-07-26 at 04:05
Old 2020-07-26, 04:09   #33
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

245658 Posts

Quote:
I would like to see the discussion on the actual feasibility(and yes, it seems not feasible),
You have hijacked this thread enough. Go elsewhere.