Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2005-04-11, 18:30   #1
lozcs

May 2004
birmingham & manchester

29 Posts
Default Help with my Mersenne farm

Hi,

I'm awaiting delivery of the start of my Mersenne farm. (three parts anyway!)

Asrock P4I45GV i845GV (onboard LAN and VGA)
P4 Celeron D at 2.8Ghz
Mini-ATX power supply CLICKY
IDE to CF converter and Memory CLICKY

I'm planning to mount these on sheet metal, one above the other divided by stand-offs.

All I need to do now is decide on an AC/DC adapter to power the DC/DC ATX Power supplies.

It would be nice to get a single adapter that can power two or more boards?

I've no idea on power, requirements - can someone point me in the right direction. Or would it be best to get one 12v supply for each system?

Lawrence......
lozcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-04-12, 20:11   #2
lozcs

May 2004
birmingham & manchester

2910 Posts

OK, I think I found something that might be suitable, can any electricians out there comment?

THIS

My thoughts are I'd be using no more than 100W per oard so could wire up three boards to the this supply?

Is this OK?

Thanks,

Lawrence......

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozcs
Hi,

I'm awaiting delivery of the start of my Mersenne farm. (three parts anyway!)

Asrock P4I45GV i845GV (onboard LAN and VGA)
P4 Celeron D at 2.8Ghz
Mini-ATX power supply CLICKY
IDE to CF converter and Memory CLICKY

I'm planning to mount these on sheet metal, one above the other divided by stand-offs.

All I need to do now is decide on an AC/DC adapter to power the DC/DC ATX Power supplies.

It would be nice to get a single adapter that can power two or more boards?

I've no idea on power, requirements - can someone point me in the right direction. Or would it be best to get one 12v supply for each system?

Lawrence......
Old 2005-04-12, 22:19   #3
moo

Jul 2004
Nowhere

809 Posts

you would be better off finding a different psu for compies....
moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-04-13, 19:40   #4
PrimeCruncher

Sep 2003
Borg HQ, Delta Quadrant

70210 Posts

It's possible to run more than one system off a single PSU, but you have to splice some cables and modify the PSU. Easier to just get a PSU for each system; NewEgg usually has PSUs starting at around $15.
PrimeCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-04-13, 21:04   #5
moo

Jul 2004
Nowhere

809 Posts

well thinking about it in school you might want to drop that psu its more for a car comp i mean yaa its got the connecters but i think its desiged for a cars electrical system.... just to give you a heads up also it looks like theres not a lot of info and from what i found detailed pictures it seams that there are 2 leads comeing off it for imput power.
Old 2005-04-15, 19:48   #6
Peter Nelson

Oct 2004

21116 Posts

I agree with Moo, don't go with the mini-itx psu you linked as it does not have a very large power rating.

It is certainly possible to run more than one mobo off a decent power supply, particularly as you are using integrated graphics. Two is common, but three might be possible with a 550W or 650W psu. Also, running a psu at higher load% may result in greater efficiency level (power in vs power out) which will optimise your electricity bill. Efficiency does vary a lot with manufacturer and model though.

If you want to try this I have a wiring diagram - ask if you are interested and I will dig it out.

My own problem was finding made-up ATX power leads. This was solved by cutting one off a broken ATX PSU. I used a standard ATX power extender cut in half. The two cables could then be shared together using a screw-type connector block.

You may also want to take a look at my posted measurements of power consumption - one of the systems was a Celeron D using integrated graphics. As you intend to run from flash, you may also see the difference removing my drives made to my power consumption.

http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=3547

Kind regards, Peter
Peter Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-04-15, 23:10   #7
moo

Jul 2004
Nowhere

14518 Posts

peter the main reason i said drop psu is because the way imput it set up its ment to come off a cars electrical system from what i have seen that means it will proibily draw 30 or so amps at 12 volts hence this is not the psu you want. you want something check and economical there are 15 dollar psus run one sys off each.
Old 2005-04-18, 09:47   #8
lozcs

May 2004
birmingham & manchester

29 Posts

OK, the PSU's I bought don't work with my system - I thought that 80W would be enough but I guess it can't supply the amps?

Wanted to keep noise down so now looking at making a splitter to use one PSU to power two boards - Can you find that diagram Peter? I remember seeing instructions on someones web site buit can't seem to find it again.

Thanks,

Lawrence......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nelson
It is certainly possible to run more than one mobo off a decent power supply, particularly as you are using integrated graphics. Two is common, but three might be possible with a 550W or 650W psu. Also, running a psu at higher load% may result in greater efficiency level (power in vs power out) which will optimise your electricity bill. Efficiency does vary a lot with manufacturer and model though.

If you want to try this I have a wiring diagram - ask if you are interested and I will dig it out.
Old 2005-04-18, 21:18   #9
moo

Jul 2004
Nowhere

809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozcs
OK, the PSU's I bought don't work with my system - I thought that 80W would be enough but I guess it can't supply the amps?

Wanted to keep noise down so now looking at making a splitter to use one PSU to power two boards - Can you find that diagram Peter? I remember seeing instructions on someones web site buit can't seem to find it again.

Thanks,

Lawrence......

first you got it all wrong its not enough watts to psu so i guess amps is also ok
next those psus are ment for cars you just waisted about 50 dollars
next go find a decent psu the shitty ones crash in burn in power bumps....

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6&sku=ULT31640

that company is good ultra makes rather high quality psus returns the one you bought and get htose next dont worry about sound im srounded by 6 computers ok on 3 sides you wont notice it.
Old 2005-04-23, 19:41   #10
lozcs

May 2004
birmingham & manchester

29 Posts

OK, I've given up on the DC-DC converters and listed them on ebay.

(Clicky - if anyone is interested in a bargain!)

Gone with silent PSU's - should have 4 nodes up and running by next weekend!

Lawrence......