5458 Posts

FreeBSD
delta_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-26, 18:29   #24
PrimeCruncher

Sep 2003
Borg HQ, Delta Quadrant

2×33×13 Posts

Dumped Red Hat Fedora Core 4 as the OS of choice for my farm server. Now running Mandriva (formerly Mandrake) Linux 10.2 (AKA LE 2005). MUCH better. Very easy to use (note that this is coming from a primarily Windoze user!) and MUCH faster than FC4.
PrimeCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-12, 13:48   #25
rdotson

Jul 2005

1010002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpowers
... because you compile everything from source for your own system.
What computer system/OS do you use to compile your Gentoo kernel and other sources on? Seriously, this is my primary concern about switching to Linux (probably Xandros, but I'd like to check out Lindows as well if possible).

I run two versions of Windows 2000 on two different partitions. I have a primary installation that I use for most everything, and I use the secondary "bare-bones" Windows 2000 installation simply to do maintenance and backups of the primary installation.

How do you go about backing up your Linux installation so that if you have a disk crash or something you don't have to reinstall the whole OS plus apps, etc., from scratch? I have no problem saving my home directory and other personal data, but an OS typically won't let you backup system files that are in use and potentially changing all the time.

Finally, how do you go about organizing your personal data and programs? In Windows I usually have a few main directories in the root for different projects, programs, etc. Am I supposed to put all that into my Linux home directory (which usually gets *incredibly* cluttered), or is it Ok to create my own directories off the main "/" root directory? Stuff like this isn't typically discussed in Linux User Guides.

Thanks,

Ron
rdotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-14, 00:55   #26
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

102348 Posts

Quote:
What computer system/OS do you use to compile your Gentoo kernel and other sources on? Seriously, this is my primary concern about switching to Linux (probably Xandros, but I'd like to check out Lindows as well if possible).
I don't know much about Gentoo except the whole system can be compiled as it is installed making it very efficient.

You've missed out on the Linspire 5.0 give-away last week -- I got my copy over bittorrent

Quote:
I run two versions of Windows 2000 on two different partitions. I have a primary installation that I use for most everything, and I use the secondary "bare-bones" Windows 2000 installation simply to do maintenance and backups of the primary installation.
You could do the same thing under linux. As well as a "/home" partition and a swap partition you could have as many Linux "/" partitions as you like -- all different distributions if you like But one is usually good enough.

Quote:
How do you go about backing up your Linux installation so that if you have a disk crash or something you don't have to reinstall the whole OS plus apps, etc., from scratch? I have no problem saving my home directory and other personal data, but an OS typically won't let you backup system files that are in use and potentially changing all the time.
You could periodically mirror everything with "cron" if you are really that paranoid. I think "rsync" is used to make a back up machine. Then there are things like software RAID.

Quote:
Finally, how do you go about organizing your personal data and programs? In Windows I usually have a few main directories in the root for different projects, programs, etc. Am I supposed to put all that into my Linux home directory (which usually gets *incredibly* cluttered), or is it Ok to create my own directories off the main "/" root directory? Stuff like this isn't typically discussed in Linux User Guides.
It is best to keep all your personal stuff on the "/home" directory, the reason being that if you need to reinstall the system under the "/" partition then you do not affect the "/home" partition -- simply reformat the "/" partition but not the "/home" one

You can put stuff in a directory under "/" if you have to -- you can give a user access using the root account and "chown" or "chmod"

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2005-09-14 at 01:05
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-14, 01:23   #27
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

5×1,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdotson
Snip!
In a nutshell, whatever you want to do is probably possible... Linux (Unix) is geared towards letting *you* make the decisions, not some other guy...

If you have the time, please read this:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/

It describes a lot of the "why" and "how"... Trust me, it is worth reading, and it is free!
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-29, 22:33   #28
Peter Nelson

Oct 2004

52910 Posts
Default Suse 10

Currently using production 9.3 Professional of Suse.

However, recent developments are OPENSUSE.ORG

The 10.0 has been through four betas and is at Release candidate 1. Your can download it now from opensuse site.
Final version scheduled for October 6th. I expect to see boxed versions out in Oct/Nov.

10.1 is already in Alpha.
Peter Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-07, 11:01   #29
Peter Nelson

Oct 2004

232 Posts

"Scheduled for 6th October."

Final Suse 10 was RELEASED on 6th October. Go download it!

What could another large OS vendor LEARN from this?
Peter Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-11, 21:21   #30
victor

Oct 2005
Fribourg, Switzerlan

22·32·7 Posts

Gentoo linux
victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-12, 00:30   #31
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

1142310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor
Gentoo linux
Trying to install amd64-gentoo on a 3500+ box and having a frustrating time of it

The damned clock is running much faster than it should --- looks like interrupts are being dropped somewhere.

Every time I tell the machine to reboot, it shuts down and just sits. I have to pull the power cord to make it pay attention again.

Paul

P.S. At least a certain large software manufacturer got these two right.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-12, 00:42   #32
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

22×1,063 Posts

Quote:
Every time I tell the machine to reboot, it shuts down and just sits. I have to pull the power cord to make it pay attention again.
Is it a BIOS setting? Are you saying M$ reboots the same box?
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-12, 01:24   #33
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

11,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood
Is it a BIOS setting? Are you saying M$ reboots the same box?
I assume so and yes, respectively.

The nearest I've yet found on Google is someone having similar symptoms on a dual-Opteron box. His BIOS had a disabled APCI setting. I took at look at my BIOS, couldn't see anything immediately wrong and, anyway, XPHome Does The Right Thing. It is a pity it's such a repulsive operating system.

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote