Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2005-03-04, 00:12   #12
E_tron

Sep 2002
Austin, TX

3·11·17 Posts

Check this out:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...41937%3A180998

These are the only computers on the shelf at walmart (at least in houma, la) right now. Why? They cut everything that isnt mandatory like:
-Super expensive Intel Pentium 4 Processor
-Microsoft bloat ware including Windows and whatever else
-and other stuff like RAM, graphics, CD-ROM, ect...

If you are not ready to jump off the deep end, this is a valuable alternative:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3429307

Both of these machines are based on the economical AMD Sempron (also known as AthlonXP) processors, not the Intel Pentium 4 or Celeron. Walmart is all about saving you money right? If walmart carries AMD based machines, it is something to look into.
E_tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-04, 02:24   #13
Primeinator

"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M52..

16238 Posts

Thanks, I also looked up some more desktops on Walmart's site and found a relatively cheap one w/ an AMD 63 3300+, only catch is that there isn't a monitor heh.
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-04, 03:29   #14
E_tron

Sep 2002
Austin, TX

3·11·17 Posts

If your up to it, building your own computer is really cool.

Another good alternative is to refurbish a computer destined for the garbage can (and beef it up with a good hard drive and lots of memory). For example, I still run (and often use) a Pentium 233mhz machine with a good 32-bit graphics card, 120GB HDD, 512MB of RAM, running windows2000. Sure, it may never finish the M24,xxx,xxx that it is working on, but it handles many tasks i need (like encoding video, audio encoding, web surfing, home file server, ect...).

An advantage to older computers is heat. Generally, the older chips dissipate less heat. This translates into opportunities for quite and near silent computing. That 233mhz machine is passively cooled (no fans). The only thing making noise in the machine is the gentile whisper of the Seagate 120GB barracuda.

Processors are powerful (even the cheap ones), so i might never blow $200 on one. Spend your money on more memory, good I/O (like mouse, keyboard, display, ect...), and your internet connection :) .
E_tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-04, 03:31   #15
PrimeCruncher

Sep 2003
Borg HQ, Delta Quadrant

2×33×13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_tron
If your up to it, building your own computer is really cool.
I built my first computer... 4 years ago? Something like that. And never gone back. I can't buy my computers from companies any more becasue
a) can't get what I want
b) they put all kinds of software garbage on it. And charge a fortune for it.
c) I like knowing what's inside the box
PrimeCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-04, 17:44   #16
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2×5,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_tron
The only thing making noise in the machine is the gentile whisper of the Seagate 120GB barracuda.
So it's not a kosher disk drive then?

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-05, 00:37   #17
Primeinator

"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M52..

3×5×61 Posts

I don't have the knowledge or expertise to build my own I don't think. I wouldn't know what all to put in it, like what is vital (registry, ect).
Old 2005-03-05, 00:50   #18
PrimeCruncher

Sep 2003
Borg HQ, Delta Quadrant

2·33·13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primeinator
I don't have the knowledge or expertise to build my own I don't think. I wouldn't know what all to put in it, like what is vital (registry, ect).
Believe me, the software end of the business is a piece of cake! It's the hardware that's the problem. Everything's gotta be compatible, and then you have to put it all together. Gotta get a good case or your hands come out looking like they went thru a meat grinder.
Old 2005-03-05, 16:45   #19
Primeinator

"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M52..

91510 Posts

Quote:
or your hands come out looking like they went through a meat grinder
How encouraging....
Old 2005-03-07, 00:59   #20
PrimeCruncher

Sep 2003
Borg HQ, Delta Quadrant

10101111102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primeinator
How encouraging....
It's not really that bad. You might get a few scrapes but most cases nowadays are pretty good to work in.
Old 2005-06-02, 09:10   #21
jimmyhua

Jun 2005

710 Posts
Default DELL is better

I'm not sure which would be better for prime95 purposes. If it were me, I'd custom build my own machine from parts. I do not think either machine could handle prime95 stress for long.

However, having said that. My company has bought both DELL and HP. Both have been quite reliable for Office use. DELL is slightly more reliable (less failures over the years). I am not sure about this as we have such a small sample size.

I am sure that DELL machines run much faster than HP machines. A simple benchmark test of a DELL Pentium 2 450Mhz, outrunning an HP P3 733MHz, says it is so!!!

Jimmy

Last fiddled with by jimmyhua on 2005-06-02 at 09:11
jimmyhua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-21, 02:44   #22
ndpowell

Jun 2005
Madison, Indiana, U.S.A.

3·7 Posts
Smile Dell

The company where I work now buys Dell exclusively. It used to be a mix of Micron, Compaq, and whatever. Dell desktops are excellent, as are their Latitude series laptops. I work in the I/T department, so I see what goes on with all of them. We have a couple of Dimension desktops in "dirty" areas on the plant floor. We do aluminum die casting of engine parts. If anyone is familar with that process, then you know what I mean when I say "dirty." Regarless. I think we went with Dell mainly because of warranty, and support. We have four of their "PowerEdge" file servers. These are dual Xeon processor machines with a mix of mirrored and striped RAID arrays. If Dell's support was not good, we probably would not be using these servers. Bottom line: There are a lot of good machines out there, but Dell has the support that the others lack.
ndpowell is offline   Reply With Quote