mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2010-09-22, 04:01   #1
RMAC9.5

Jun 2003

32·17 Posts
Default Advice Needed

I have one PC exclusively dedicated to Prime95 using version 25.9. Until yesterday it was processing 2 first time tests downloaded from the PrimeNet server last July (about 65 days ago). Since these first time tests were scheduled to finish on Friday, 09/24/10 and I didn't want to chance having them finish and the PC go idle for most of a day, I accessed the Internet to download more work. When these 2 first time tests reported their status to the PrimeNet, they both got Invalid Assignment Key error messages and were deleted from the worktodo.txt file. My question is "What is the proper way to get a new assignment keys for these first time tests" as I still have the backup files and can finish them in two or three days?
RMAC9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 04:40   #2
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

2×3×773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAC9.5 View Post
I have one PC exclusively dedicated to Prime95 using version 25.9. Until yesterday it was processing 2 first time tests downloaded from the PrimeNet server last July (about 65 days ago). Since these first time tests were scheduled to finish on Friday, 09/24/10 and I didn't want to chance having them finish and the PC go idle for most of a day, I accessed the Internet to download more work. When these 2 first time tests reported their status to the PrimeNet, they both got Invalid Assignment Key error messages and were deleted from the worktodo.txt file. My question is "What is the proper way to get a new assignment keys for these first time tests" as I still have the backup files and can finish them in two or three days?
Whenever I get "Invalid Assignment Key" is when I unreserve exponents from the server. Assuming you didn't do that, it might be possible that someone beat you to their completion; except I thought for LL tests your result would still be accepted but possibly as a double Check.

I might try simply entering a line in your worktodo.txt (or worktodo.add) of the form:

Test=xxxxxxxx,yy,z

xxxxxxx is the exponent
yy is the current factor level in bits (probably in the 68 range)
z is 1 if a P-1 is already done and 0 if not
The Exponent Status report will tell you what value to give for yy and z.

This should give you a new assignment key and let it complete.

Last fiddled with by petrw1 on 2010-09-22 at 04:41
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 05:53   #3
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

2×5×167 Posts

You should first of all check the status of the exponents in question : if they have been factored further tests to prove them prime are meaningless.

Then check if you workstation communicated regularly with the server, if not you lost the assignments and they were re-attributed according to the rules of GIMPS.

If the exponents are assigned to someone else you could complete them as double checks : follow the procedure indicated by Petrw1 replacing "Test=xxxxxxxx,yy,z" by "DoubleCheck=xxxxxxxx,yy,z".

If they have been tested once you might complete the LL tests as explained by petrw1. It will be doublechecks but they will count in your first time tests tally.

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 09:04   #4
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

22·691 Posts

You should always communicate with the server at least every 60 days otherwise the server assumes that you have dropped those assignments and gives them to someone else. Since you are only a couple of days from completion, I would suggest that you add the following lines to your worktodo.txt - after stopping Prime95 -

Test=N/A,xxxxxxxx,68,1
where xxxxxxxx is the exponent in question. This will allow you to complete the exponents and return the results without getting the invalid key error. Note that in doing this, you are completing an exponent that is now assigned to someone else - you can check the status of your exponents from the exponent status page.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 12:26   #5
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17·251 Posts

Yes, as others have said, check the status of those exponents and work from there. This may include trying to get an assignment as a LL or double check, which can be done by adding it to Prime95's worktodo.txt (as others have described) and having it communicate, or by requesting it as a manual test (specify the desired exponent as the min and max).
Even if you can't get an assignment, you can just complete the exponents, then submit them (while logged in to get credit) at the manual results page. It should accept the results and give you credit for it, whether it would prefer to give you the assignment or not (e.g. if it's now assigned to someone else because you let it expire). But note that depending on the current status of the exponents, this might mean you are, in a way, poaching. If this bothers you too much, wait for the other people to finish their first-time tests and then submit yours as double-checks.

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2010-09-22 at 12:31
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-23, 03:26   #6
RMAC9.5

Jun 2003

32·17 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions,
I know I screwed up by not sending in regular status updates from this PC. I won't forget in the future. I checked the exponents as suggested. Both were factored to 2^69, both had finished P=1 testing, and both had been given out to anonymous. I took Garo's suggestion and added them back to the worktodo.txt file as Test=N/A,xxxxxxxx,69,1. I'll know in a few days if the server gives me credit.
RMAC9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-23, 15:00   #7
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

22×691 Posts

Yes you should get credit as should the other assignee. BTW, from Primenet's perspective it does not matter whether you use DoubleCheck or test in the worktodo.txt. The only place where it makes a difference is when Prime95 calculates the P-1 bounds.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote