Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
Is the Windows version going to use the GMP libraries or the MPIR ones?
It could presumably be linked with either. MPIR is designed to be a "drop in" replacement for GMP, meaning the function calls and data types are all the same.

Which they would use for a pre-compiled binary, I would hazard a guess at MPIR, since that's what Gilchrist/Gladman primarily use. (This is all hypothetical of course.)
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 08:14   #13
Brian Gladman

May 2008
Worcester, United Kingdom

52610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
It could presumably be linked with either. MPIR is designed to be a "drop in" replacement for GMP, meaning the function calls and data types are all the same.

Which they would use for a pre-compiled binary, I would hazard a guess at MPIR, since that's what Gilchrist/Gladman primarily use. (This is all hypothetical of course.)
At the moment I believe that mingw and mingw64 are being used so linking could be with either GMP or MPIR, which are (mostly) compatible.

GMP has recently caught up with MPIR in speed on Windows x64 by getting its x64 assembler to work with the Windows ABI. So the speed difference is now much reduced (and may even be reversed).

I am looking at the possibility of a CADO-NFS build with Visual Studio but this will probably follow if the mingw activity succeeds. If I do make a Visual Studio build, this will only be with MPIR as GMP doesn't build natively with Visual Studio (I believe that it may be possible to link with mingw/mingw64 built libraries).
Brian Gladman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-26, 11:52   #14
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

2,467 Posts

Currently the test builds link against the GMP library provided by MinGW, although a separately compiled GMP should work just as well. We tested only MinGW32 so far, not MinGW64, so right now that performance of the siever, as a native Windows binary, is pretty bad.
akruppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 17:18   #15
skan

Apr 2012

2×47 Posts

Hi

Could you post any already compiled Windows binary, please?

regards
skan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-29, 11:33   #16
jux

Aug 2015

2·33 Posts

I would much rather prefer a windows version and I have always regarded virtual machines as much less efficient, but recently I've heard that VMware Workstation can run with relatively small overhead. Since I can't get CADO-NFS to compile currently, I'm left with either a VM or dual booting.
jux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-29, 15:18   #17
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2×2,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jux View Post
I would much rather prefer a windows version and I have always regarded virtual machines as much less efficient, but recently I've heard that VMware Workstation can run with relatively small overhead. Since I can't get CADO-NFS to compile currently, I'm left with either a VM or dual booting.
I have used virtualbox in the past and it ran at pretty much the same speed as linux.
My problem is that with only 4GB of memory I don't have any spare for a virtual machine.
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-29, 21:29   #18
jux

Aug 2015

3616 Posts

If you can, I would highly recommend buying and installing more RAM (or even download it). Memory these days is very cheap and your computer will benefit overall.
jux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-29, 21:43   #19
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

100101000001002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jux View Post
If you can, I would highly recommend buying and installing more RAM (or even download it). Memory these days is very cheap and your computer will benefit overall.
Please forgive me for this, but this seems like a scam to me.

One cannot "download RAM". RAM stands for "Random Access Memory", and RAM needs to be ***very*** close to the processors for effectiveness.

Could you please explain yourself?
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-29, 23:48   #20
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

11100001101012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Please forgive me for this, but this seems like a scam to me.

One cannot "download RAM". RAM stands for "Random Access Memory", and RAM needs to be ***very*** close to the processors for effectiveness.

Could you please explain yourself?
It's a well known joke. The site he linked is a parody of such scams.
Old 2015-12-29, 23:55   #21
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

250416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
It's a well known joke. The site he linked is a parody of such scams.
Colour me embarrassed....
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-30, 05:31   #22
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Colour me embarrassed....
I would call it a case of cultural ignorance I certainly suffered from an extreme lack of exposure to things basically all my peers had heard of ("I was sheltered"), so I can sympathize.

In this case: there are surely as many computer scams as there are computers, and it just so happens that the intersection of computer/computer literate culture and internet culture settled on this particular example as the archetype of such things, and built it into the "in joke" that it is now. It is perhaps somewhat surprising that you hadn't heard of this cultural phenomenon, though as I said, I can very definitely sympathize no big deal, at the end of the day.