Old 2020-12-30, 01:03   #265
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

24·271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
<snip>
It is an open secret that various TLAs regarded it as insecure long before then, especially for signatures with a shelf-life longer than that of a Ratner's prawn sandwich.

(UK readers will recognize that description.)
[google google]

Huh. What I found was like a real-life version of Monty Python's Conquistador Coffee sketch...
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-03, 17:27   #266
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

1,621 Posts

The first 10 British citizens have been refused entry to the Netherlands.
They had tested negative for Covid but, now that the UK is fully out of the EU, Covid rules also require them to show that their journey is necessary, not merely recreational.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-04, 09:14   #267
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

31258 Posts

As part of Brexit, the UK has left the Erasmus student exchange program.
British students can no longer easily do part of their degree at another university in mainland Europe.
Old 2021-01-04, 10:09   #268
moebius

Jul 2009
Germany

547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
The first 10 British citizens have been refused entry to the Netherlands.They had tested negative for Covid but, now that the UK is fully out of the EU, Covid rules also require them to show that their journey is necessary, not merely recreational.
The British were probably just not allowed to enter the country, because they would go a bit to much into the coffee shops. Much like it has been for the Germans and Belgians in the Limburg province.
moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-04, 10:23   #269
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

1059010 Posts

As part of Brexit, Britain is now free to raise the limit on contactless payment cards above Β£45 --- the equivalent of €50 as mandated by the EU.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-04, 10:24   #270
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·3·5·353 Posts

As part of Brexit, Britain has now removed VAT from women's sanitary products.

Previously it was set at 5%, the minimum allowed by the EU because they were not classed as necessities.
Old 2021-01-04, 10:25   #271
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×3×5×353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
[google google]

Huh. What I found was like a real-life version of Monty Python's Conquistador Coffee sketch...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Ratner
Old 2021-01-04, 12:11   #272
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×3×5×353 Posts

Quote:
The first 10 British citizens have been refused entry to the Netherlands.
They had tested negative for Covid but, now that the UK is fully out of the EU, Covid rules also require them to show that their journey is necessary, not merely recreational.
Quite right too, IMO. False negatives exist.

If the situation were reversed (UK were relatively free of a markedly more infectious version of COVID-19 and it were rampant in the Netherlands) I would strongly support additional restrictions on Dutch entry.
Old 2021-01-04, 12:52   #273
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

1,621 Posts

I hope you can still get to La Palma when you need to!
Old 2021-01-04, 13:18   #274
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

295E16 Posts

Quote:
I hope you can still get to La Palma when you need to!
So do I.

I don't see me needing to do so for a substantial length of time. Most everything I do there can be done almost as easily from here. The main thing I can't do remotely is observational astronomy. There is very likely a way around that too --- I know two amateur astronomers who are ex-support staff at ORM. Neither have large telescopes and neither have a good site. It may well be that they would like to use my kit in return for taking some data for me.

My guess is that Spain will re-open to British tourists around May-June time once a majority of the population in each country has been vaccinated. Precise timings are, of course, impossible to give but current best guess for people like me is April. SWMBO should be done in February.

Added in edit: if the world were magically free of Covid-19 we would probably go over to LP in March and return in May. As it is not, and because of domestic (UK) considerations, we are very unlikely to want to travel before late July anyway.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2021-01-04 at 13:22
Old 2021-01-04, 13:30   #275
moebius

Jul 2009
Germany

547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
My guess is that Spain will re-open to British tourists around May-June time once a majority of the population in each country has been vaccinated.
Excuse my cynical undertone, this sounds a lot like: ... once a majority of the population in each country has been vaporized.
moebius is offline   Reply With Quote