mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Puzzles

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2022-01-05, 17:50   #1
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
Aug 2002

2·17·251 Posts
Default January 2022

https://research.ibm.com/haifa/ponde...nuary2022.html
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-07, 05:04   #2
Max0526
 
"Max"
Jun 2016
Toronto

929 Posts
Default

Min/max for 7/5 case? 446/3051?
Max0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-07, 18:29   #3
Zoozie
 
Jan 2021

68 Posts
Default

I can confirm those numbers...

/Thomas Egense
Zoozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-07, 18:53   #4
Max0526
 
"Max"
Jun 2016
Toronto

929 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoozie View Post
I can confirm those numbers...

/Thomas Egense
Thank you! I sent my 7/5 solution yesterday.
What did you code in? What was the total runtime?
I coded in Python, it took ~24 minutes to solve the n = 7, d = 5 case. Java should be faster for sure.
Is anybody working on n = 8, d = 6?
It would be nice to see the min/max counts (please don't post the solutions, just the counts).
Max0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-07, 19:01   #5
Zoozie
 
Jan 2021

2·3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max0526 View Post
Thank you! I sent my 7/5 solution yesterday.
What did you code in? What was the total runtime?
I coded in Python, it took ~24 minutes to solve the n = 7, d = 5 case. Java should be faster for sure.
Is anybody working on n = 8, d = 6?
It would be nice to see the min/max counts (please don't post the solutions, just the counts).

It took about 2 minutes to solve in java for n=7,d=5. I did not really optimize except first generating cache of small primes. The n=8, d=6 was solved in some hours, did not time it.

For n=8, d=6:
wheeel for maximum solution had 1992 primes
wheel for minimum solution had 741 primes.
Zoozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-07, 22:00   #6
Max0526
 
"Max"
Jun 2016
Toronto

929 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoozie View Post
It took about 2 minutes to solve in java for n=7,d=5. I did not really optimize except first generating cache of small primes. The n=8, d=6 was solved in some hours, did not time it.

For n=8, d=6:
wheeel for maximum solution had 1992 primes
wheel for minimum solution had 741 primes.
Zoozie, could you please look up the max/min scores, not the number of primes?
Thank you!
Max0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-09, 21:46   #7
Walter
 
"Walter S. Gisler"
Sep 2020
Switzerland

178 Posts
Default

I can confirm the scores for n = 7 and d = 5.

For n = 8 and d = 6, I get the following scores:
max: 19690
min: 6905

Average execution time (using Cython, and only one thread - could be easily parallelized):
n = 7, d = 5: ~120 seconds
n = 8, d = 6: ~1100 seconds
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-09, 22:35   #8
SmartMersenne
 
Sep 2017

139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter View Post
I can confirm the scores for n = 7 and d = 5.

For n = 8 and d = 6, I get the following scores:
max: 19690
min: 6905

Average execution time (using Cython, and only one thread - could be easily parallelized):
n = 7, d = 5: ~120 seconds
n = 8, d = 6: ~1100 seconds
I have a circle with score 21617 but my min is not even close to yours.
SmartMersenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-10, 04:24   #9
Max0526
 
"Max"
Jun 2016
Toronto

929 Posts
Default

> but my min is not even close to yours.

It might be that the problem got edited after the initial posting. The first sentence reads:
"Seven distinct digits are placed on a circle." (also, "placed" is misspelled in the original)
I had much lower min scores (60 instead of 446) when the circle of 7 was allowed to have duplicates. No duplicates allowed, neither in the circle, nor in the numbers.

Thank you for posting your scores and times!
Max0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-10, 04:49   #10
SmartMersenne
 
Sep 2017

139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max0526 View Post
> but my min is not even close to yours.

I had much lower min scores (60 instead of 446) when the circle of 7 was allowed to have duplicates. No duplicates allowed, neither in the circle, nor in the numbers.
I meant my minimum is much higher. I do hope someone who solved the bonus can post their scores for min and max.
SmartMersenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-10, 05:38   #11
Walter
 
"Walter S. Gisler"
Sep 2020
Switzerland

1510 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMersenne View Post
I meant my minimum is much higher. I do hope someone who solved the bonus can post their scores for min and max.
Just to add on to my previous response: the number of primes that can be generated with the max and min wheel in my solution corresponds to the same values that Zoozie posted (741 primes for the min wheel and 1992 primes for the max wheel). Now, to be fair, I see multiple wheels that generate the same number of primes, but it gives me some additional confidence that my solution is right.
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2022 project goals gd_barnes Conjectures 'R Us 8 2022-11-06 08:33
2022 Project Goal discussion rogue Conjectures 'R Us 15 2021-12-19 21:20

All times are UTC. The time now is 07:37.


Thu Dec 1 07:37:45 UTC 2022 up 105 days, 5:06, 0 users, load averages: 0.94, 0.87, 0.88

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.

≠ ± ∓ ÷ × · − √ ‰ ⊗ ⊕ ⊖ ⊘ ⊙ ≤ ≥ ≦ ≧ ≨ ≩ ≺ ≻ ≼ ≽ ⊏ ⊐ ⊑ ⊒ ² ³ °
∠ ∟ ° ≅ ~ ‖ ⟂ ⫛
≡ ≜ ≈ ∝ ∞ ≪ ≫ ⌊⌋ ⌈⌉ ∘ ∏ ∐ ∑ ∧ ∨ ∩ ∪ ⨀ ⊕ ⊗ 𝖕 𝖖 𝖗 ⊲ ⊳
∅ ∖ ∁ ↦ ↣ ∩ ∪ ⊆ ⊂ ⊄ ⊊ ⊇ ⊃ ⊅ ⊋ ⊖ ∈ ∉ ∋ ∌ ℕ ℤ ℚ ℝ ℂ ℵ ℶ ℷ ℸ 𝓟
¬ ∨ ∧ ⊕ → ← ⇒ ⇐ ⇔ ∀ ∃ ∄ ∴ ∵ ⊤ ⊥ ⊢ ⊨ ⫤ ⊣ … ⋯ ⋮ ⋰ ⋱
∫ ∬ ∭ ∮ ∯ ∰ ∇ ∆ δ ∂ ℱ ℒ ℓ
𝛢𝛼 𝛣𝛽 𝛤𝛾 𝛥𝛿 𝛦𝜀𝜖 𝛧𝜁 𝛨𝜂 𝛩𝜃𝜗 𝛪𝜄 𝛫𝜅 𝛬𝜆 𝛭𝜇 𝛮𝜈 𝛯𝜉 𝛰𝜊 𝛱𝜋 𝛲𝜌 𝛴𝜎𝜍 𝛵𝜏 𝛶𝜐 𝛷𝜙𝜑 𝛸𝜒 𝛹𝜓 𝛺𝜔