mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Conjectures 'R Us

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-11-12, 16:43   #1
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing
 
KEP's Avatar
 
May 2005

93910 Posts
Default Discussion about new Riesel base 3 subforum

I've just had words from Kirk at distributedcomputing.info, and he is most likely gonna add my project to his project list, so I think with all fairness that I'm about to be more busy with running the Riesel base 3 attack.

Regards

KEP

Ps. I added a "How do I join?" button to my websites, if anyone could take a look at it and tell me if this guide is sufficient for newbies to understand and be able to support the Riesel base 3 effort, or if anything is missing, please let me know (I know the PS is a bit out of topic but it saved me a posting elsewhere)

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-11-14 at 04:32 Reason: Removed references to Riesel base 2
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 07:45   #2
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

3×7×487 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
I've just had words from Kirk at distributedcomputing.info, and he is most likely gonna add my project to his project list, so I think with all fairness that I'm about to be more busy with running the Riesel base 3 attack.

Regards

KEP

Ps. I added a "How do I join?" button to my websites, if anyone could take a look at it and tell me if this guide is sufficient for newbies to understand and be able to support the Riesel base 3 effort, or if anything is missing, please let me know (I know the PS is a bit out of topic but it saved me a posting elsewhere)

OK, great. So we don't have to go back through a bunch of posts, can you post a link to your website here?

Secondly, are you implying that you are starting an official prime search project for Riesel base 3?

If so, let me know and we'll stop our efforts at k=100M to n=100K plus k=100M-250M to n=25K, i.e. after mini drive I is done. If you start the project, I assume you will include the k=250M-500M to n=25K that you are currently working on in your project. Also, I'll note it in green on my web page, which indicates that it is reserved by a project. Further...instead of attempting to continuously update all of the k's remaining on my web pages, I'll provide a link to your web pages like I do with base 5.

CRUS gladly gives up such huge efforts to other projects. I'll be most entertained to see all k's up to k=63G searched and see how many "gillion" of them remain! Regardless of what you're doing with it, good luck!

Sometime on Thursday, I'll post something in the Riesel Sieve forum about possibly running a server for Riesel base 2.


Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-11-14 at 09:01
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 08:02   #3
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing
 
KEP's Avatar
 
May 2005

3·313 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
OK, great. So we don't have to go back through a bunch of posts, can you post a link to your website here?

Secondly, are you implying that you are starting an official prime search project for Riesel base 3?

If so, let me know and we'll stop our efforts at k=100M to n=100K plus k=100M-250M to n=25K, i.e. after mini drive I is done. If you start the project, I assume you will include the k=250M-500M to n=25K that you are currently working on in your project. Also, I'll note it in green on my web page, which indicates that it is reserved by a project. Further...instead of attempting to continuously update all of the k's remaining on my web pages, I'll provide a link to your web pages like I do with base 5.

CRUS gladly gives up such huge efforts to other projects. I'll be most entertained to see all k's up to k=63G searched and see how many "gillion" of them remain! Regardless of what you're doing with it, good luck!

Sometime on Thursday, I'll post something in the Riesel Sieve forum about possibly running a server for Riesel base 2.


Gary
1. http://kenneth010982.googlepages.com/Index.htm

2. It is my intention to start a project, and already now I've contacted Kirk at distributedcomputing.info, to get the project added to his website However, since I've no forum, I'll still make use of the Base 3 reservation/status/primes thread. Also I think in stead of Mini-drives (which confused me a lot), that the first goal will be to test all k's to n=25,000. After that I think the goal will be for an individual to reserve 100M k-range to bring it up to n=100,000. This will make it easyer to manage.

Last but not least. I've asked people to e-mail the primes to you Gary, since I hope that you'll still be interested in constructing the proof, since you has the availeable technology and skills to do so. Will this be ok?

Also I'll keep my website updated with remaining k's and testlimits. This also means, that as soon as I've completed the work to n=25000 for all k<=500M, then they will be posted on the websites. Also I plan once all k is taken to n=100K, to ask Rytis and PrimeGrid to join the search, however this is far out the future.

Regards

KEP
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 08:19   #4
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

100111111100112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
1. http://kenneth010982.googlepages.com/Index.htm

2. It is my intention to start a project, and already now I've contacted Kirk at distributedcomputing.info, to get the project added to his website However, since I've no forum, I'll still make use of the Base 3 reservation/status/primes thread. Also I think in stead of Mini-drives (which confused me a lot), that the first goal will be to test all k's to n=25,000. After that I think the goal will be for an individual to reserve 100M k-range to bring it up to n=100,000. This will make it easyer to manage.

Last but not least. I've asked people to e-mail the primes to you Gary, since I hope that you'll still be interested in constructing the proof, since you has the availeable technology and skills to do so. Will this be ok?

Also I'll keep my website updated with remaining k's and testlimits. This also means, that as soon as I've completed the work to n=25000 for all k<=500M, then they will be posted on the websites. Also I plan once all k is taken to n=100K, to ask Rytis and PrimeGrid to join the search, however this is far out the future.

Regards

KEP

That's OK if people mail me the primes but I'm a little confused. You cannot have a project without a forum. Do you wish to set up a forum for a new project here at mersenneforum? If so, you need to start out in 'other projects' and create appropriate threads etc. To become an official project here (assuming you have a decent response), you'd then need to send your idea to some super-mods here (I can provide more particulars in a PM if you want to go this route) and if approved (highly likely if you stay active here for such a good project idea), you'd then need to request a top-5000 project ID from Prof. Caldwell. If you're approved here as a project, he'll have no problem with that.

On the web pages, there is no use for me to update my pages and you update yours with the same info. If you can keep them updated regularly, after a little while, I'll just provide a link on my website to yours.

I think with what you're proposing here without having a forum, you would become more of a "quasi" admin here at CRUS, i.e. actually running a part of the project. That's perfectly fine. If you want to run Riesel base 3, I have plenty to keep me entertained. Running it without mini drives is fine too. Compared to what I tried to to with Mini drive I for the Riesel side (which was too difficult from an admin perspective), I'm finding that it will make more sense to have an individual or 2 take each k=100M range up to about n=40K and then kick off a mini drive for n=40K-100K. I think it may be difficult to get one person to commit to a k=100M/n=25K-100K range to test. If you go that route, you may need to make it a smaller k or n-range.


Gary
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 13:17   #5
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing
 
KEP's Avatar
 
May 2005

3·313 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
That's OK if people mail me the primes but I'm a little confused. You cannot have a project without a forum. Do you wish to set up a forum for a new project here at mersenneforum? If so, you need to start out in 'other projects' and create appropriate threads etc. To become an official project here (assuming you have a decent response), you'd then need to send your idea to some super-mods here (I can provide more particulars in a PM if you want to go this route) and if approved (highly likely if you stay active here for such a good project idea), you'd then need to request a top-5000 project ID from Prof. Caldwell. If you're approved here as a project, he'll have no problem with that.

On the web pages, there is no use for me to update my pages and you update yours with the same info. If you can keep them updated regularly, after a little while, I'll just provide a link on my website to yours.

I think with what you're proposing here without having a forum, you would become more of a "quasi" admin here at CRUS, i.e. actually running a part of the project. That's perfectly fine. If you want to run Riesel base 3, I have plenty to keep me entertained. Running it without mini drives is fine too. Compared to what I tried to to with Mini drive I for the Riesel side (which was too difficult from an admin perspective), I'm finding that it will make more sense to have an individual or 2 take each k=100M range up to about n=40K and then kick off a mini drive for n=40K-100K. I think it may be difficult to get one person to commit to a k=100M/n=25K-100K range to test. If you go that route, you may need to make it a smaller k or n-range.


Gary
I was not thinking of setting up a new project, I would very much prefer to run as a subproject under the CRUS effort. Therefor I found that it could be usefull to use your forums, and especially the Base 3 reservations/statues/primes thread, to keep track of the reserved ranges. I'm glad that you are interested in constructing the proof, since I don't have the skills to do so, and also I think I'm gonna be more than busy keeping track of the individuals reservations etc. So I hope its ok for people to reserve their ranges and for me to keep track of them So I'm aiming at becoming the Quasi admin thing

KEP!
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 16:55   #6
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

624110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
I was not thinking of setting up a new project, I would very much prefer to run as a subproject under the CRUS effort. Therefor I found that it could be usefull to use your forums, and especially the Base 3 reservations/statues/primes thread, to keep track of the reserved ranges. I'm glad that you are interested in constructing the proof, since I don't have the skills to do so, and also I think I'm gonna be more than busy keeping track of the individuals reservations etc. So I hope its ok for people to reserve their ranges and for me to keep track of them So I'm aiming at becoming the Quasi admin thing

KEP!
Hmm...maybe we could ask Xyzzy to set up a subforum under Conjectures 'R Us called "Riesel Base 3 Attack" (or something along those lines) and have the subproject run from there? I mean, if the whole point is to make an extra special big deal of the base 3 stuff, then putting it in its own subforum (but still under Conjectures 'R Us) might be the way to go.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 17:46   #7
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing
 
KEP's Avatar
 
May 2005

3×313 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
Hmm...maybe we could ask Xyzzy to set up a subforum under Conjectures 'R Us called "Riesel Base 3 Attack" (or something along those lines) and have the subproject run from there? I mean, if the whole point is to make an extra special big deal of the base 3 stuff, then putting it in its own subforum (but still under Conjectures 'R Us) might be the way to go.
If this in fact is possible, then I support this kind of solution. Think that this is something you can look into and investigate a bit further, Max?

KEP!

Last fiddled with by KEP on 2008-11-13 at 17:47
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 19:01   #8
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
If this in fact is possible, then I support this kind of solution. Think that this is something you can look into and investigate a bit further, Max?

KEP!
Okay. What we'd need to do first is come up with a list of threads related to base 3 that we'd want to move to the new forum. Then all we have to do is send Xyzzy a PM asking for the new subforum and we should be all set within a few hours. (Of course, some basic "welcome" info would need to be written up once we've gotten the subforum going, before we moved all the base 3 threads.)

One thing, though: Gary, would we be moving the base 3 mini-drives to the new subforum? I would think so, right?
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-14, 04:17   #9
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

3·7·487 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
Okay. What we'd need to do first is come up with a list of threads related to base 3 that we'd want to move to the new forum. Then all we have to do is send Xyzzy a PM asking for the new subforum and we should be all set within a few hours. (Of course, some basic "welcome" info would need to be written up once we've gotten the subforum going, before we moved all the base 3 threads.)

One thing, though: Gary, would we be moving the base 3 mini-drives to the new subforum? I would think so, right?

I agree with the sub-forum idea. That makes a lot of sense.

Moving the Riesel base 3 mini drive would also be the way to go. What is going to be more difficult is separating out the Riesel vs. Sierp base 3 stuff in the general "base 3 reservations/statuses/primes" thread.

Tell you what...you guys deal with getting the subforum set up and I'll worry about parsing out the relevant posts from the above thread that should be moved over to it.


Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-11-14 at 04:27
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-14, 04:34   #10
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

3·7·487 Posts
Default

I've created this new thread for the discussion about a new Riesel base 3 subforum.

KEP, I copied your 1st post here and also left it in the Riesel Sieve discussion. I then edited out the parts that were relevant to the respective projects in each place.

I'll leave the thread stickied for a little while and then unsticky it later. We have enough stickies as it is! :-)


Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-11-14 at 04:35
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-14, 04:35   #11
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

186116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
I agree with the sub-forum idea. That makes a lot of sense.

Moving the Riesel base 3 mini drive would also be the way to go. What is going to be more difficult is separating out the Riesel vs. Sierp base 3 stuff in the general "base 3 reservations/statuses/primes" thread.

Tell you what...you guys deal with getting the subforum set up and I'll worry about parsing out the relevant posts from the above thread that should be moved over to it.


Gary
Okay, cool. As for sorting out the stuff in the "base 3 reservations/statuses/primes" thread--hmm, that's right, I forgot that the new subproject is only for *Riesel* base 3.

Maybe it would be even better to simply make the new project handle *all* base 3 stuff, both for Riesel and Sierpinski? Sort of how the Sierpinski/Riesel Base 5 project handles both sides for base 5?
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Riesel base 2 discussion gd_barnes Conjectures 'R Us 84 2011-06-03 18:07
Riesel Base 5 LLR em99010pepe Sierpinski/Riesel Base 5 8 2010-06-08 21:21
Riesel base 3 reservations KEP Riesel Base 3 Attack 4 2008-11-23 00:18
Sierpinski/Riesel Base 10 rogue Conjectures 'R Us 11 2007-12-17 05:08
Riesel Base 5 discussion rogue Sierpinski/Riesel Base 5 2 2005-12-21 08:00

All times are UTC. The time now is 23:13.

Wed Oct 28 23:13:51 UTC 2020 up 48 days, 20:24, 1 user, load averages: 2.09, 1.68, 1.67

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.