mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Hobbies

Old 2007-06-20, 10:22   #12
michaf

Jan 2005

1DF16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Yours --- you are the one asking for advice on what may be suitable.
I just asked to be sure, 'cause you quoted Wacky in your reply :)

Thanks very much for the ideas, I'll go hunting for some nice specimens now (never seen Solanum Crispum hereabout, will try to find it, it has some very nice flowers)
michaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 08:04   #13
hhh

Jun 2005

37310 Posts

:off topic::

If you had to cover something very ugly, with something ugly, You could go for Persicaria, in German Knรถterich. Incredible growth rate, it literally buries everithing under it.

Now for two other plants I like very much for their very high resistance against my not very green thumb:

Christmas stars are happy with half a cup of water twice a week. I almost killed one once by not giving any water for a month or so, it lost all its leafs except the red ones, and is recovering now.

Same thing for Passion flower, which blooms stunningly beautifully, if you get it to do so; you can grow it to a curtain (from down to top) in a window, as it likes the sun.

H.
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 11:11   #14
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2·3·29·67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh View Post
:off topic::

If you had to cover something very ugly, with something ugly, You could go for Persicaria, in German Knรถterich. Incredible growth rate, it literally buries everithing under it.

Now for two other plants I like very much for their very high resistance against my not very green thumb:

Christmas stars are happy with half a cup of water twice a week. I almost killed one once by not giving any water for a month or so, it lost all its leafs except the red ones, and is recovering now.

Same thing for Passion flower, which blooms stunningly beautifully, if you get it to do so; you can grow it to a curtain (from down to top) in a window, as it likes the sun.

H.
Sundry comments:

I've little experience of many of the Persicaria genus, other than P. odoratum which grows vigorously but is (a) not frost-hardy and (b) dies very quickly if not kept moist or wetter at all times.

Poinsettia are indeed tough. However, it is not frost hardy and so unsuitable for the stated objective. Further, the red leaves appear only if the plant has a period when it has 12 hours light and 12 hours dark. This can be tricky to arrange in sub-arctic regions such as GB and NL.

Many Passiflora will grow very well indeed in our climate but there is a very big caveat. Some are extremely large plants and will easily cover an entire house within two or three years. Some are extremely invasive and small plants will come up from the roots of the main plant, often many metres away. We had one like that and it was such a nuisance we had to dig it out.

The edible passion fruit, P. edulis, will almost certainly be killed by winter frosts. I tried growing two out of doors in especially sheltered spots but both died. Even if you keep them indoors in winter, it is unlikely they will produce much ripe fruit, if any.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 06:44   #15
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

80416 Posts
Lightbulb Creepers!

Well I asked a friend of mine who seems to be 'quite' a gardener. This is the same guy who showed me a bamboo creeper. We have ruled Bamboo out so he told me to try 'Boston Ivy' which should flourish in the European climate as it is very hardy.

To tell you the truth I have never heard of this creeper before.

But if you like give it a try and all the best.

Mally
mfgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 02:48   #16
masser

Jul 2003
Behind BB

24·3·41 Posts

Hey Michaf,

Any news on this project? With spring around the corner, I was curious which climbing plant you chose and how it is doing...
masser is online now   Reply With Quote