mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Prime Sierpinski Project

Old 2010-02-02, 05:19   #1
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

54358 Posts
Thumbs up Are you still running LLRNet?

I see in the first post that there is a knpairs file under special reservations. Do you still have an LLRNet server running? If so, what is the address?
MyDogBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 09:15   #2
opyrt

Apr 2008
Oslo, Norway

7·31 Posts

Hi!

We are running an LLRNet server at:

server = "pspnet.no-ip.info"
port = 12984

Any reason you don't want to use PRPNet? The llr binary used in LLRNet is quite old, and any day now we'll be upgrading to llr 3.8.0 on PRPNet which will increase performance even more. This is not an exact science, but some of my tests indicate that llr 3.8.0 might be as much as 25% faster than the llr contained in LLRNet.
opyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 16:10   #3
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

284510 Posts

Quote:
Any reason you don't want to use PRPNet? The llr binary used in LLRNet is quite old, and any day now we'll be upgrading to llr 3.8.0 on PRPNet which will increase performance even more. This is not an exact science, but some of my tests indicate that llr 3.8.0 might be as much as 25% faster than the llr contained in LLRNet.
I run PRPNet (3.1.5 the MySQL version) for CRUS. It still has a few problems as far as handling the load of multiple clients hitting it. Thats not a problem here as the tests are so long and few conflicts occur. I just was wondering about the knpair.txt file. I couldn't find a reference on whether or not it was still be utilized. Besides the new LLR version should also have LLRNET and LLR in it (I hope). I'm still an LLR fan. There have been about 6 or 7 releases of PRPNet since 2.4.7, each one getting better and better.

I'm surprised PSP hasn't gone to at least PRPNET 3.0.0 since it is MYSQL based.

Last fiddled with by MyDogBuster on 2010-02-02 at 16:36
Old 2010-02-02, 16:50   #4
opyrt

Apr 2008
Oslo, Norway

7·31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogBuster View Post
Besides the new LLR version should also have LLRNET and LLR in it (I hope). I'm still an LLR fan.
I'll have to disappoint you there... LLRNet is not maintained by Jean Penné, and as the developer does not have much time to fiddle with these things anymore, I doubt we'll see a new LLRNet anytime soon. The way the LLRNet software is constructed, it requires LLR to be compiled with it, so there is no easy way to build it based on llr 3.8.0 (as the compile throws alot of errors if the newer source code for llr is added).
However, PRPNet uses llr so as an llr fan, you should be happy with PRPNet aswell.

Quote:
Besides, there have been about 6 or 7 releases of PRPNet since 2.4.7, each one getting better and better.

I'm surprised PSP hasn't gone to at least PRPNET 3.0.0 since it is MYSQL based.
From what I understand, 2.4.7 still is the latest stable release. All 3.x.x releases are marked as "BETA". I know ltd is considering version 3, but there is also the aspect of time and lack of such. We will get there, but not yet.
opyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 17:30   #5
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opyrt View Post
From what I understand, 2.4.7 still is the latest stable release. All 3.x.x releases are marked as "BETA". I know ltd is considering version 3, but there is also the aspect of time and lack of such. We will get there, but not yet.
Correct. Being involved with the behind-the-scenes testing of 3.1.x myself, I can tell you that I definitely wouldn't use it myself on a public server--a private server, maybe, but not a public one doing production work. 2.4.7 is quite stable (its only real disadvantage being that it has a lower fundamental limit in terms of # of clients it can handle, though for the size of numbers PSP is testing, there's no way they'd ever hit that), so I'd recommend holding off on 3.1 until a tested-stable version comes out.

BTW @Ian: Are you running your 3.1.5 server on Windows or Linux? On Linux, Mark and I have been trying to nail down some rather frequent crashes. Are those not happening on Windows?
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 22:56   #6
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

5·569 Posts

Quote:
BTW @Ian: Are you running your 3.1.5 server on Windows or Linux? On Linux, Mark and I have been trying to nail down some rather frequent crashes. Are those not happening on Windows?
I'm running Windows. It has the pausing for 2 minutes - No work on server problem, also. Other than that, it is pretty stable. I've run almost 500K pairs thru 3.1.5. I'm also testing the latest PFGW and of course, the new bases script.
Old 2010-02-03, 04:02   #7
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

10110110101112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogBuster View Post
I'm running Windows. It has the pausing for 2 minutes - No work on server problem, also. Other than that, it is pretty stable. I've run almost 500K pairs thru 3.1.5. I'm also testing the latest PFGW and of course, the new bases script.
The "no work on server" issue is the big one that I haven't resolved. I have yet to see a server and client log for the issue. If you can produce one with debuglevel=1 and send it to me, then I would appreciate that greatly.

My best guess at the moment for the problem is that multiple clients opening the same cursor concurrently is causing problems internal to MySQL. This cursor returns large amounts of records, so MySQL might be timing out internally. In 3.1.6 I will be modifying the code so that only one client can open the cursor at a time. Without the logs, I can't prove that to be the source of the problem.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote