Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Conjectures 'R Us

Old 2015-01-04, 12:03   #34
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

3·307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzle-Peter View Post
I think it would be best to offer two or three subprojects so users can decide which runtime they prefer.
I very much like that idea, maybe it should be six, such that people can choose as follows:

Sierp short
Riesel short
Sierp
Riesel
Sierp long (day/week/month+)
Riesel long (day/week/month+)
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-05, 20:40   #35
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

26·3·53 Posts

That all sounds very good to me. :-)
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 01:52   #36
AG5BPilot

Dec 2011
New York, U.S.A.

6116 Posts

Is the BOINC server down?
AG5BPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 05:15   #37
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

25×89 Posts

Quote:
Is the BOINC server down?
Server is not ours. Belongs to Rebirther somewhere, I think, in Germany.
It does seem to be down.
MyDogBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 12:30   #38
vaughan

Jan 2005
Sydney, Australia

14F16 Posts

The choice / decision to select short or longer tasks is available (when the server comes back up) by going to the project's preferences in Your account, in the project's site.

Personally, I unchecked the long tasks. Happy to run the short tasks for a few hundred years as long as they award cobblestones at the rate they have been issued recently. Its become one of the better "paying" projects. Nowhere near Bitcoin Utopia but then I only have a few ASICS devices running that.

Last fiddled with by vaughan on 2015-01-06 at 12:31
vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 18:22   #39
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

1011001000002 Posts

Server back up
Old 2015-01-06, 18:57   #40
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

32·1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
... as long as they award cobblestones at the rate they have been issued recently. Its become one of the better "paying" projects.
Ah, I see now what really matters.
So, tomorrow, PrimeGrid will decide to give 20% "bonus" cobblestones on everything - and you will switch to them.
To retaliate, CRUS will double the issued cobblestones - and you will switch back to them.
Then, PrimeGrid will triple cobblestones - and you will switch back to them.

Nice! I wish real-life people were so easy to manipulate with a carrot. Oh, wait... they are!
But in real life, they are not paid with "air", so inflation and the need to trade using the currency of the seller keeps the monetary system away from insanity. Barely.

Seriously though, if CRUS BOINC is (because of their young age) issuing unreasonable amount of credits, they should rethink their position pro-actively. Before other projects contact them to ask about that.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 19:22   #41
AG5BPilot

Dec 2011
New York, U.S.A.

97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
Ah, I see now what really matters.
So, tomorrow, PrimeGrid will decide to give 20% "bonus" cobblestones on everything - and you will switch to them.
Rest assured, we're not going down that road!

I think Reb is simply struggling with the whole credit thing, trying to set the proper amount. It's not easy to do with LLR, and he's not in a position to use the system Jim and I set up at PrimeGrid.

The funny thing is, unless I'm remembering it wrong, when I ran a few of the tasks over there the LONG tasks were yielding more credit per hour. (It's actually a good thing to bias the credit that way since people prefer short tasks.)

It has always astounded me how big a motivator the competitive spirit is. Give people a scoreboard and they'll cross heaven and hell for you, merely to get a higher position on the board.

It's a great way to solve those big conjectures that need several millennia worth of cpu-hours to crunch all the numbers. :)
AG5BPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 19:29   #42
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

25·89 Posts

Quote:
It's a great way to solve those big conjectures that need several millennia worth of cpu-hours to crunch all the numbers. :)
And we haven't started the BIG ones yet. There about 20 or so bases still left to start that make R3 look downright
puny.
Old 2015-01-06, 19:51   #43
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

908110 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG5BPilot View Post
Rest assured, we're not going down that road!
I know! I was merely trying to make a point by exaggeration ;-)

I have not yet mentioned the infamous example of mersenneathome.com - they gave high credits, they had decent participation, they listened to no one (believe me, for my part, I've tried and tried and tried to get their admin to think). The trouble was - they were doing absolute bull!! Did it matter to their contributors? Hell, no! "Just give us a scoreboard", absolutely right you are. ...but then again, just give mother nature some time and evolution takes care of any weird mutants. They are long gone, and I have no tears to shed.

Tangentially, the ASIC credit, though poorly understood by some, is probably fair to the BOINC standard. ASICs are simply insanely productive (by objective dhrystones or whatnot) - but of course for one single particular task at hand. there are in fact amazing side products of their mining. Honestly, I think some of long k-tuplets found by them are quite spectacular - here.

Last thing (the "Graduate" moment, so to speak), while someone is reading this... I have but one word to say to anyone who is interested in a good investment for the future.
"Plastics" ... "Cyclo!"
All ingredients are in place! It is time to start the uwine/primesearch folders for Cyclo_N=16...22, send out announcements, and then, sometime soon start Cycl-ing! All the GFN people who are now hitting their B limits will be only too happy to switch.

P.S. This reminds me to give Riecoin some competition. They haven't advanced the sextuplet record so far that I couldn't potentially beat that (because I found quite a nice template for them, which no-one used before: k * p# / 2 + d, d = −8, −4, −2, 2, 4, 8 ...and all I spent was probably a day or two, back in 2013)

Last fiddled with by Batalov on 2015-01-06 at 20:11 Reason: P.S.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-09, 14:13   #44
vaughan

Jan 2005
Sydney, Australia

5·67 Posts

I sort of understand what you are saying about the points Batalov but to be fair my BOINC stats reveal that I have put in a reasonable amount of work on under-paying projects: Leiden Classical being a good example.

I agree PG can be a good payer for some sub-projects and it still has my all-time favourite GPU crunching application for nVidia GPUs PPS_sr2seive which accounts for 789,904,021 points out of my total 835,940,884 PrimeGrid points (at time of posting).
vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote