mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2014-08-31, 23:03   #1
stars10250

Jul 2008
San Francisco, CA

3·67 Posts
Default GPU Mentor

I'm new to GPU computing and am looking for a mentor for LL testing. I've read the forum for several months, just ordered a video card, and I already have questions. Rather than post to the forum I'd prefer private messages so I don't make a fool of myself. I'm an engineer and fairly computer savvy but I've never done this before. Please send a private message if you are up for some email support to a fellow number cruncher.
stars10250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-01, 03:17   #2
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts

I can guarantee there are some people who may have some of the same questions you do. At the very least, some people won't know the answers.

Having that information available publicly could be valuable. I don't want to tell you what to do, but I would suggest trying to have the discussion publicly, as you will also be able to attract the help of more than one person through PM. Faster responses, different viewpoints, etc.

Last fiddled with by TheMawn on 2014-09-01 at 03:17
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-01, 03:39   #3
pdazzl

Apr 2014

7·17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars10250 View Post
I'm new to GPU computing and am looking for a mentor for LL testing. I've read the forum for several months, just ordered a video card, and I already have questions. Rather than post to the forum I'd prefer private messages so I don't make a fool of myself. I'm an engineer and fairly computer savvy but I've never done this before. Please send a private message if you are up for some email support to a fellow number cruncher.
You'll likely want cudalucas if you want to do LL tests. What model gpu?

I'm somewhat new to this forum and testing myself (6 months), I've learned there are other tests and things to explore. I'd also recommend posting publicly as there may be others out there with the same questions though you can PM me if you'd like.
pdazzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-01, 12:56   #4
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2·3·5·313 Posts

As you don't specify what type of card you have, you will want to start with cudaLucas, if your card is nVidia breed, or with clLucas if your card is AMD breed. The rest, just ask. Be aware that for AMD cards, the card can be used better/more efficient for TF (see mfakto).

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2014-09-01 at 13:01
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-01, 17:37   #5
stars10250

Jul 2008
San Francisco, CA

3×67 Posts

I bought a GTX 780. I've read the computing cheat sheet for Nvidia CUDALucas, the readme from sourceforge, I downloaded the CUDA toolkit (but want to wait for the card before installing). Right now I'm worried about the card being too loud...can I slow it down with the "polite" option or is there a better way? Yes I want to compute but there are times I want it quiet. Can I schedule it to slow down at night or does everyone just let it blast at full speed? As for posting to the forum, I honestly find it too intense.
Old 2014-09-02, 01:52   #6
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

2·5,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
Having that information available publicly could be valuable.
This screams "link to FAQ needed". If there is no FAQ covering the OP's topics, perhaps one of the folks in a position to create one should take the time to do so.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-02, 03:10   #7
axn

Jun 2003

11·449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
This screams "link to FAQ needed". If there is no FAQ covering the OP's topics, perhaps one of the folks in a position to create one should take the time to do so.
There already are two stickies in this sub-forum called "GPU Trial Factoring FAQ" and "GPU LL Testing FAQ".
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-02, 05:08   #8
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

2×5,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
There already are two stickies in this sub-forum called "GPU Trial Factoring FAQ" and "GPU LL Testing FAQ".
Fair enough - so back @OP: Did you read the above LL-testing FAQ, and if so, which of your questions did it not answer?
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-03, 00:28   #9
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts

LL-testing FAQ is almost a year and a half since the last post. I haven't looked very much into it but I think the information is somewhat outdated, unless we still use the command line to run CudaLucas, and specify the exponent in the command line instead of using a worktodo.
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-05, 05:54   #10
stars10250

Jul 2008
San Francisco, CA

20110 Posts

OMG it's working. I don't know how to stop it, but it says it will be done in 4.4 days, 69M exponent, 4M FFT, 5.5 ms/iter. GPUZ says GPU load 96%, temp 57C, memory 73C. Total power about 245 watts.

I think the most confusing thing about the directions is it goes all into compiling the code and you don't need that at all. You just need to unzip the executable, grab a few libraries, get an exponent from primenet, put it in a worktodo file, and click on the executable.
Old 2014-09-05, 06:36   #11
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2×3×5×313 Posts

Yes, you don't need to recompile the code under windoze, there are executables provided. You may need to recompile in some situations.

To stop it, use CTRL+C (it will save the status and checkpoint files and exit safely). You can stop it from the red X or from task manager, or unplug the computer, , but in all these cases you'll lose the work done from the last checkpoint (half hour or so, if you use the default settings it is supposed to save checkpoints every ~~ half hour).

You can press keys on the keyboard, with or without shift, to change parameters, if you use the "interactive" mode, see the doc and the comments in the ini files. Play a bit with it, is not dangerous.

Use the tuning features, you will be surprised! It can get many percents faster, if your system is "far away" from the system the "default tuning" was done.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote