Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2007-07-19, 19:36   #1
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

105518 Posts
Default Why are there so many low factoring assigments?

There are hundreds of factoring assignments for exponents that are already at or above the recommended factoring depth.

Would I be correct in assuming they are self-assigned for the purpose of finding factors or advancing factoring?
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 06:03   #2
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

1C1416 Posts

You might not be correct in that assumption.

Will you please cite specific examples of the cases you're asking about?

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2007-07-20 at 06:19
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 07:48   #3
markr

"Mark"
Feb 2003
Sydney

13×43 Posts

Would that be the thousands of "available" TF assignments behind the leading edge of TF in the PrimeNet summary? They are probably due to the changed trial factoring thresholds in version 24.12, which reduced the amount of TF done. (See this thread.) I'd bet this part of the server code is using the old thresholds, so it counts them as needing more trial factoring. The important parts were changed, so the server doesn't hand them back out again!
markr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-23, 16:21   #4
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

4,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr View Post
Would that be the thousands of "available" TF assignments behind the leading edge of TF in the PrimeNet summary? They are probably due to the changed trial factoring thresholds in version 24.12, which reduced the amount of TF done. (See this thread.) I'd bet this part of the server code is using the old thresholds, so it counts them as needing more trial factoring. The important parts were changed, so the server doesn't hand them back out again!
Now that I know the thresholds changed recently, I'm guessing that these are Factoring assignments that were valid with the old server code but didn't report in for more than 60 days, expired and were reassigned without being rechecked for threshold limits.

I count 1142 as of today ... see attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Over Factoring.txt (16.7 KB, 89 views)
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote