mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2017-10-10, 17:58   #1
Ovi

Oct 2017

216 Posts
Default Ghost PRP assignments

Hi guys,

First time posting in this forum, hope it's in the correct section.

Two or three days ago, I was changing the work preference of a computer from the website, and I put PRP-CF (didn't know what it was exactly).
Work seems to be done and submitted as usual, at least that's what I see in the software.

Today I opened the assignment page under "My account" and I saw that apparently I have about 7400 PRP assignments for that computer. Errr... that's not a typo, that's really seven thousand. Most of these assignments have very small exponent (1000-150000). Date assigned is 2017-10-09 for all of them.

If I check my local worktodo.txt file, I only have 10 assignments, no trace of these ghost assignments. Something seems really wrong.

Then I took a look at my results.txt, and it seems that I was in fact assigned all these exponents during the night but since I can find them in results.txt, the work is already done, right?
I tried pasting these lines as "manual results" but I only get:
Quote:
Error code: 40, error text: Another computer has already reported this PRP result for Mxxx
Success
for all of them.

If I look at PRP results in my account summary in "stats for the last 365 days", the count is less than 1000. So it I understand correctly, my computer considers that the work is done, the server considers that the results have been received, but something went wrong while processing the results?

How did this happen and how can I clean up this mess? I cannot manually release so many assignments from the assignment page itself which BTW is really slow due to these ghost assignments :-(
Ovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-13, 18:43   #2
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

29×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovi View Post
Hi guys,

First time posting in this forum, hope it's in the correct section.

Two or three days ago, I was changing the work preference of a computer from the website, and I put PRP-CF (didn't know what it was exactly).
Work seems to be done and submitted as usual, at least that's what I see in the software.
Those are "probably prime" tests the checks of the cofactor (the mersenne # divided by all known factors) is probably prime or not.

In other words, these are things that we already know are NOT prime since a factor has already been found, and then just testing to see if what's leftover is prime or not. Some people enjoy fully factoring things, and some of those cofactors can be pretty large prime #'s on their own.

Quote:
Today I opened the assignment page under "My account" and I saw that apparently I have about 7400 PRP assignments for that computer. Errr... that's not a typo, that's really seven thousand. Most of these assignments have very small exponent (1000-150000). Date assigned is 2017-10-09 for all of them.

If I check my local worktodo.txt file, I only have 10 assignments, no trace of these ghost assignments. Something seems really wrong.

Then I took a look at my results.txt, and it seems that I was in fact assigned all these exponents during the night but since I can find them in results.txt, the work is already done, right?
for all of them.

If I look at PRP results in my account summary in "stats for the last 365 days", the count is less than 1000. So it I understand correctly, my computer considers that the work is done, the server considers that the results have been received, but something went wrong while processing the results?

How did this happen and how can I clean up this mess? I cannot manually release so many assignments from the assignment page itself which BTW is really slow due to these ghost assignments :-(
If you can, private message me with your user name on Primenet. I think I know which one it is, based on the info you've provided, but I want to make sure. There are only 4 users with a lot of those PRP assignments, expired or not.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-13, 18:55   #3
GP2

Sep 2003

29·89 Posts

I noticed those ghost assignments, and have been poaching them and doing them myself. These are very quickly completed for such small exponents, I figured that if they were actively being worked on, then at least the ones below 100k would have been completed in a few hours. After several days passed, I figured they were fair game.

When I do one of these assignments, it expires yours. So that solves that problem.

If you have a results.txt file with any work that was actually completed, maybe you could email it to Madpoo and he could manually add those to the database.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-13, 23:10   #4
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

2×3×1,193 Posts

PRP-CF is a brand new work type primarily meant for version 29.4 which is not available yet.

Sorry for the confusion.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-14, 02:42   #5
GP2

Sep 2003

1010000101012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovi View Post
Quote:
Error code: 40, error text: Another computer has already reported this PRP result for Mxxx
Success
for all of them.
The reason you got this message was because in version 29.3 and earlier, the "shift count" is always zero for PRP tests. For a PRP test to be properly double-checked, it needs two PRP tests that were run with different shift counts. Since your results had the same zero shift count as the original test, many of them were rejected as redundant. Version 29.4 automatically assigns a random shift count, and so is able to perform proper double checks, however it is not in general release.

In any case, all of those ghost assignments should be cleared out by now.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-14, 09:36   #6
Ovi

Oct 2017

2 Posts

Quote:
the cofactor (the mersenne # divided by all known factors)
That actually makes so much sense... I was reading it as "Mxxx slash factors" and not "divided by"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2
When I do one of these assignments, it expires yours. So that solves that problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2
In any case, all of those ghost assignments should be cleared out by now.
Thanks! I can confirm everything has been cleared I noticed that they were disappearing during the last days, but I hadn't thought that it was because someone else was doing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo
If you can, private message me with your user name on Primenet. I think I know which one it is, based on the info you've provided, but I want to make sure. There are only 4 users with a lot of those PRP assignments, expired or not.
Sure I can, it's the "public display name" right? But maybe you don't need it anymore now that the ghost assignments have been released?
Ovi is offline   Reply With Quote