Old 2022-05-09, 00:38   #1
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×52×211 Posts
Unhappy The "Untied States of America".

It's a bit like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-09, 01:53   #2
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

293616 Posts

So, for the record, I sometimes go a little bit too far.

But... I would really appreciate knowing which supermod moved my above to this sub-thread.
Old 2022-05-09, 05:02   #3
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

232068 Posts

If you haven't buried it, don't call it dead yet.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-09, 05:06   #4
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

17×383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
If you haven't buried it, don't call it dead yet.
I am reminded of the scene in Kill Bill 2 where our heroine is buried. So even if you have buried it you still can't always call it dead.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-09, 07:06   #5
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

9,973 Posts

Not me, gov'nor... Taken out of context, this sounds really shitty, and I won't approve the action (of moving it here) either. Of course, I don't know the initial context, but it sounds shitty anyhow. I won't bet against the old US of A, (with very few exceptions, hehe) even if I don't like some Americans much
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-09, 07:08   #6
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

9,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I am reminded of the scene in Kill Bill 2 where our heroine is buried. So even if you have buried it you still can't always call it dead.
Lone Wolf, Chuck Norris? Anybody?
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-09, 09:19   #7
niamul21

May 2022

12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
It's a bit like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
It seems the same from my perspective as well.
niamul21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-09, 12:07   #8
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

583610 Posts

If I were making out a death certificate for the good ol' USA, I would put November 8, 2016 as the date of death. Manner of death, suicide.

On a number of occasions since then, I have said that my country died on that date, "and now the corpse is really starting to stink."

Not all bodies are buried. Some are cremated. In some places, there is a practice known as "sky burial."

In the case at hand, though, it seems the body, though rotting away from within, is still animated, like a zombie. Or, perhaps, like Grandpa (Titus Tolliver) in A Case of the Stubborns (short story by Robert Bloch, adapted for TV's Tales from the Darkside).
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-09, 14:58   #9
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2C7916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
If I were making out a death certificate for the good ol' USA, I would put November 8, 2016 as the date of death. Manner of death, suicide.
It's not dead, it's only resting.

That's my view, anyway.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-09, 19:46   #10
slandrum

Jan 2021
California

22×107 Posts

In my view it has a terminal illness. It may recover, but probably not.

I have a friend that has had two different aggressive cancers both go into remission after they were told twice that they had a few weeks/months to live. Over a decade later they are still having a productive and happy life but it will end at some point.

Like all things, the USA will eventually come to an end. It may be very soon (I never thought until recently that it could be within my lifetime), or it may struggle on for centuries to come.
slandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-10, 01:23   #11
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·52·211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Thank you for that. Sincerely.

I am always told to "speak truth to power". But it seems like every time I do those in power freak out.