Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Math Stuff > Other Mathematical Topics

Old 2015-06-08, 11:02   #1
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))

Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

6,323 Posts
Default Comprehensible book about modular forms

I've just bought, and am quite enjoying, Lloyd Kilford's "Modular Forms: A Classical and Computational Introduction", of which a new edition came out last week.

I really like the focus on how finite-dimensionality results both make modular forms practical to compute with, and are responsible for lots of the wonderful identities because, once you've demonstrated both sides are a modular form of an appropriate weight and level, you have a small finite (or, at weight twelve and level one, a trivial) computation to show that they're equal.
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-08, 15:55   #2
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

26·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemack View Post
I've just bought, and am quite enjoying, Lloyd Kilford's "Modular Forms: A Classical and Computational Introduction", of which a new edition came out last week.

I really like the focus on how finite-dimensionality results both make modular forms practical to compute with, and are responsible for lots of the wonderful identities because, once you've demonstrated both sides are a modular form of an appropriate weight and level, you have a small finite (or, at weight twelve and level one, a trivial) computation to show that they're equal.
Terrific. I will have to get this book.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote