retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

23×727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldesnogu View Post
And you know for sure that Apple itself won't make a laptop with a proper OS and an ARM chip? No one knows that for sure. And that's exactly why I phrased my very first comment in this thread the way I did (though I certainly was ambiguous when I talked about 'chips' rather than 'core' or 'CPU;).
This thread is about servers. Even if Apple do make a laptop, AND open the CPU specs for everyone, it wouldn't apply here. When I make my servers I don't make them from mobile Intel or AMD chips, I use server chips. And I need full documentation for everything else I can't make them.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-02, 11:40   #24
ldesnogu

Jan 2008
France

21016 Posts

Well yes, but at least I did post some info about ARM servers. Conversation closed.
ldesnogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-02, 11:47   #25
ldesnogu

Jan 2008
France

24·3·11 Posts

TheNextPlatform:Arm’s Chances In Servers May Hinge On Success In HPC
Old 2019-10-15, 17:30   #26
ldesnogu

Jan 2008
France

24×3×11 Posts

Another article from TheNextPlatform: Growing Up In An HPC World.
Old 2019-11-07, 16:25   #27
ldesnogu

Jan 2008
France

24×3×11 Posts

Slides about upcoming Fujitsu chip with SVE: http://www.ssken.gr.jp/MAINSITE/even...PCF_shinjo.pdf

It's in Japanese but with enough English to get a few things. Impressive beast.
Old 2019-11-08, 21:26   #28
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

9,791 Posts

Quote:
Slides about upcoming Fujitsu chip with SVE: http://www.ssken.gr.jp/MAINSITE/even...PCF_shinjo.pdf

It's in Japanese but with enough English to get a few things. Impressive beast.
If I read the english snips correctly, it uses 512-bit SIMD processed in 128-bit chunks by the read/write ports ... that would need a 512-bit ARMified version of my AVX-512 asm routines for Mlucas to exploit. Will any of these make their way in single-chip form into HPC workstations, or are they strictly for the supercomputer market?

At some point I'll surely need to do both 256-bit and 512-bit ARMv8 coding, but said SIMD widths would need to appear in volume in some consumer-market form (e.g. smartphones) to make the effort worthwhile.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-09, 09:32   #29
ldesnogu

Jan 2008
France

24·3·11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
If I read the english snips correctly, it uses 512-bit SIMD processed in 128-bit chunks by the read/write ports ...
I'm not sure where you got that 128-bit from. For the rest, yes, 2 x 512-bit wide FMA.

Quote:
that would need a 512-bit ARMified version of my AVX-512 asm routines for Mlucas to exploit.
Yes, you'd need a dedicated path for using SVE, it's not the same instruction set as NEON.

Quote:
Will any of these make their way in single-chip form into HPC workstations, or are they strictly for the supercomputer market?
I don't know for sure. But if it comes to low power devices it's likely it won't be very wide (both vector width, and number of units).

Quote:
At some point I'll surely need to do both 256-bit and 512-bit ARMv8 coding, but said SIMD widths would need to appear in volume in some consumer-market form (e.g. smartphones) to make the effort worthwhile.
I think you missed the point of SVE: you don't need to care (too much) of the hardware vector length I think this document explains things nicely.

But that's perhaps me being naive (and underestimating your knowledge of SVE, sorry), and you still might care a lot due to FFT structure. At the very least, the instructions would be the same (contrary to AVX2 vs AVX-512).

I know you don't have a lot of free time, but if you ever want to start playing with SVE, you can pick a recent ARM cross-compiler and QEMU emulator (the SVE support in QEMU is validated).
Old 2019-11-09, 20:11   #30
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

263F16 Posts

Quote:
I'm not sure where you got that 128-bit from. For the rest, yes, 2 x 512-bit wide FMA.
I mis-read slide #8, the one showing the read/write ports, as '128 bits/cycle', but in fact it reads '128 bytes/cycle'.

Quote:
I think you missed the point of SVE: you don't need to care (too much) of the hardware vector length I think this document explains things nicely.

But that's perhaps me being naive (and underestimating your knowledge of SVE, sorry), and you still might care a lot due to FFT structure. At the very least, the instructions would be the same (contrary to AVX2 vs AVX-512).
Having data-width-independent instructions would be great, to be sure - but even so, there are 2 key areas where the width still matters:

1. Literal byte address offsets in asm instructions - this could surely be parameterized, say via a literal byte argument to the asm macros whose value is set at build time;

2. The FFT data are arranged in memory is a SIMD-width-dependent fashion, e.g. for 256-bit SIMD we use quartets of doubles, whereby 4 complex [re,im] double-pairs are stored as [0.re,1.re,2.re,3.re],[0.im,1.im,2.im,3.im]. In a typical FFT step we butterfly several such data segments from disjoint (wide-stide-separated) portions of the big data array, call them segments A,B,C,D,... . There are 2 points in each FFT-convolution step - one bracketing the dyadic-mul step beween the forward and inverse FFT, and another bracketing the round-and-carry step - where we need to transpose such data, e.g. in our 256-bit-double-quartets example, we need to take

[A0.re,A1.re,A2.re,A3.re]
[B0.re,B1.re,B2.re,B3.re]
[C0.re,C1.re,C2.re,C3.re]
[D0.re,D1.re,D2.re,D3.re]

and transpose those (and similarly for the im-parts) to

[A0.re,B0.re,C0.re,D0.re]
[A1.re,B1.re,C1.re,D1.re]
[A2.re,B2.re,C2.re,D2.re]
[A3.re,B3.re,C3.re,D3.re]

Such transposes unavoidably involve data-width-dependent shuffle/permute instructions. In an SVE-styke paradigm, the way to handle this would seem to break the transpose work out of the macros where it currently is combined with other non-transpose operations, thus minimizing the amount of asm code with data-width-dependent instructions.

Quote:
I know you don't have a lot of free time, but if you ever want to start playing with SVE, you can pick a recent ARM cross-compiler and QEMU emulator (the SVE support in QEMU is validated).
That will be worth looking into once I complete work on the coming-soon Mlucas v19 code release, the one which adds support for PRP-testing with Gerbicz check.
Old 2019-11-19, 07:29   #31
ldesnogu

Jan 2008
France

24×3×11 Posts

Thanks for the explanation!

I took a look at SVE support in gcc. Right now the intrinsics are not there, they're coming in version 10. I'm not sure if you need them.
Old 2019-11-19, 07:53   #32
ldesnogu

Jan 2008
France

21016 Posts

Fujitsu A64fx system (with SVE) tops Green 500 and ranks 159 on Top 500. It achieves 85% of the theoretical peak TFLOPS on LINPACK.

Last fiddled with by ldesnogu on 2019-11-19 at 07:54
Old 2019-11-19, 19:42   #33
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

230778 Posts

Quote:
I took a look at SVE support in gcc. Right now the intrinsics are not there, they're coming in version 10. I'm not sure if you need them.
I don't use intrinsics myself, prefer to work 'close to the metal'. So the thing I need is inline-asm support from the compiler/assembler.