mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-02-01, 20:03   #1
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!
 
petrw1's Avatar
 
"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

10100100110112 Posts
Default Need help with Start At Bootup on XP ...

Specs:
Prime95 25.9
Windows XP Porfessional.
Intel CPU/MB

I am able to get my Prime95 to Start at Bootup on my PC but there are a few details I could use help with.

History:
This PC is shared by a few users; prime95 was installed by one of the more infrequent users but one without Admin access so the only Prime95 options was Start at Logon. Everytime this user logs off and another user logs on Prime95 stops.

I also have it configured to NOT have the window open and NOT display an icon in the Tray; for two reasons:
1. Some of the user get excited/confused when they see windows that aren't used to.
2. When the No Icon is NOT checked whether you minimize or "X" the window Prime95 keeps running. When it IS checked minimizing allows it to keep running but "X" terminates it.

SO.....
I logged on with an Admin account which allowed me to set it to "Start at Bootup" by creating a service.
All is good so far ... but I have two outstanding issues:

1. Prime95 now starts at bootup thanks to the Start at Bootup Service. However, when the original user logs on the Prime95 window pops up. I believe this is because this account still has a setting somewhere to start Prime95 at logon. The effect of "starting" this on an already started Prime95 service is the window pops up.
===> Where in the XP "stuff" that causes this to start again AND how do I get rid of it?

2. I decided I wanted to rename the Service via the undoc.txt parms: ServiceName & DisplayName. The net effect of this was XP created a second service with this new name but the Prime95 service is still there. So at Bootup the Prime95 service still starts but the second one does not. I assume it is because they both start the same exe and XP doesn't like that.
====> I can disable tthe Prime95 service but is there a way I can DELETE it instead to eliminate the duplicate entry/cluter?

Thanks
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 20:26   #2
TimSorbet
Account Deleted
 
TimSorbet's Avatar
 
"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

102678 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
1. Prime95 now starts at bootup thanks to the Start at Bootup Service. However, when the original user logs on the Prime95 window pops up. I believe this is because this account still has a setting somewhere to start Prime95 at logon. The effect of "starting" this on an already started Prime95 service is the window pops up.
===> Where in the XP "stuff" that causes this to start again AND how do I get rid of it?
I'm not entirely sure, but have you checked the Startup folder for that user? C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
2. I decided I wanted to rename the Service via the undoc.txt parms: ServiceName & DisplayName. The net effect of this was XP created a second service with this new name but the Prime95 service is still there. So at Bootup the Prime95 service still starts but the second one does not. I assume it is because they both start the same exe and XP doesn't like that.
====> I can disable tthe Prime95 service but is there a way I can DELETE it instead to eliminate the duplicate entry/cluter?
I'm pretty sure you can do this by changing the name of the service back to the default, restarting Prime95, and unchecking "Start at Bootup". (afterwards, change the name back and restart Prime95 again)
Edit: I just did this with Prime95 25.11 (on XP Pro) and it worked for me (but in reverse, I had an old disabled Prime95 service with a non-standard name). So yeah, that works.

Last fiddled with by TimSorbet on 2010-02-01 at 20:33
TimSorbet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 22:07   #3
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!
 
petrw1's Avatar
 
"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

149B16 Posts
Default

Thanks for the response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
I'm not entirely sure, but have you checked the Startup folder for that user? C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
I looked there first; so not in Startup....or is there more than 1 Startup for a user?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
I'm pretty sure you can do this by changing the name of the service back to the default, restarting Prime95, and unchecking "Start at Bootup". (afterwards, change the name back and restart Prime95 again)
Are you suggesting that if I uncheck Start at Bootup it will DELETE the Prime95 service?

I thought this is what I did ...
1. Logon to Admin account
2. Uncheck Start at Bootup
3. Stop / exit Prime95
4. Reboot
5. Logon to Admin account
6. Edit prime.txt to add the new names
7. Start Prime95
8. Check Start at Bootup
9. Stop/Exit Prime 95
10. Reboot
Then I looked at Services and saw both service names.

... but I may have done something out of order

I may have to try again as you suggested.
Thanks again
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 23:22   #4
TimSorbet
Account Deleted
 
TimSorbet's Avatar
 
"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

11×389 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
Thanks for the response...

I looked there first; so not in Startup....or is there more than 1 Startup for a user?
Not that I know of. Looks like that guess of mine was off. I'm not sure where else Prime95 might put it. It seems unlikely that it would make a user-specific registry entry, which is the only other way I can think that it is starting. You could try installing Spybot: Search and Destroy and using its thing to see the list of startup things. It's gotta be listed there somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
Are you suggesting that if I uncheck Start at Bootup it will DELETE the Prime95 service?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
...
4. Reboot...
6. Edit prime.txt to add the new names...
10. Reboot...
The names have to be in local.txt to work. (at least with 25.11) undoc.txt says so, and my experience confirms it (I tried it in prime.txt first without reading that it needs to be in local.txt, and it didn't change the service name). Since the rest of what you did (assuming it started out with Prime95 set to modify the default service names) sounds like it should've worked, maybe that was the problem. Just in case, though, I'll spell out what to do.
No reboots are necessary.

Do this:
  1. Log in to the admin account
  2. Open the list of Services (so you can see the effects of what you're doing)
  3. Stop/exit Prime95
  4. Change the names in local.txt to the names of the service you want to delete
  5. Start Prime95
  6. Uncheck the Start at Bootup option (if it already looks unchecked, check and uncheck it)
  7. Refresh (right click > Refresh) the list of services and verify that the service has been deleted (if it hasn't, try checking the Start at Bootup box again and see what name Prime95 creates the service as, i.e. figure out what does change when you check/uncheck the box, and go from there; once it's gone, go on to step 8)
  8. Stop/exit Prime95
  9. Change the names in local.txt to the names you want
  10. Start Prime95
  11. Check Start at Bootup (if it already looks checked, uncheck and check it)
  12. Refresh the list of services and verify that the service has been created (if it hasn't, do the same troubleshooting detailed in step 7)

Last fiddled with by TimSorbet on 2010-02-01 at 23:45
TimSorbet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 03:40   #5
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!
 
petrw1's Avatar
 
"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

52·211 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
Do this:
  1. Log in to the admin account
  2. Open the list of Services (so you can see the effects of what you're doing)
  3. Stop/exit Prime95
  4. Change the names in local.txt to the names of the service you want to delete
  5. Start Prime95
  6. Uncheck the Start at Bootup option (if it already looks unchecked, check and uncheck it)
  7. Refresh (right click > Refresh) the list of services and verify that the service has been deleted (if it hasn't, try checking the Start at Bootup box again and see what name Prime95 creates the service as, i.e. figure out what does change when you check/uncheck the box, and go from there; once it's gone, go on to step 8)
  8. Stop/exit Prime95
  9. Change the names in local.txt to the names you want
  10. Start Prime95
  11. Check Start at Bootup (if it already looks checked, uncheck and check it)
  12. Refresh the list of services and verify that the service has been created (if it hasn't, do the same troubleshooting detailed in step 7)
Worked great thanks.
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Start at Bootup" option didn't work on Windows XP machine? ixfd64 Software 1 2014-12-31 17:14
Start at Bootup option Richard Otter Software 10 2009-02-11 04:18
'Start at Bootup' grayed out rx7350 Software 1 2007-11-25 18:02
how to start with P-1? ValerieVonck Marin's Mersenne-aries 8 2006-04-29 22:21
Problem with start at bootup asdf Software 3 2004-04-18 03:41

All times are UTC. The time now is 22:04.


Thu Jan 26 22:04:43 UTC 2023 up 161 days, 19:33, 0 users, load averages: 0.68, 1.00, 1.05

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.

≠ ± ∓ ÷ × · − √ ‰ ⊗ ⊕ ⊖ ⊘ ⊙ ≤ ≥ ≦ ≧ ≨ ≩ ≺ ≻ ≼ ≽ ⊏ ⊐ ⊑ ⊒ ² ³ °
∠ ∟ ° ≅ ~ ‖ ⟂ ⫛
≡ ≜ ≈ ∝ ∞ ≪ ≫ ⌊⌋ ⌈⌉ ∘ ∏ ∐ ∑ ∧ ∨ ∩ ∪ ⨀ ⊕ ⊗ 𝖕 𝖖 𝖗 ⊲ ⊳
∅ ∖ ∁ ↦ ↣ ∩ ∪ ⊆ ⊂ ⊄ ⊊ ⊇ ⊃ ⊅ ⊋ ⊖ ∈ ∉ ∋ ∌ ℕ ℤ ℚ ℝ ℂ ℵ ℶ ℷ ℸ 𝓟
¬ ∨ ∧ ⊕ → ← ⇒ ⇐ ⇔ ∀ ∃ ∄ ∴ ∵ ⊤ ⊥ ⊢ ⊨ ⫤ ⊣ … ⋯ ⋮ ⋰ ⋱
∫ ∬ ∭ ∮ ∯ ∰ ∇ ∆ δ ∂ ℱ ℒ ℓ
𝛢𝛼 𝛣𝛽 𝛤𝛾 𝛥𝛿 𝛦𝜀𝜖 𝛧𝜁 𝛨𝜂 𝛩𝜃𝜗 𝛪𝜄 𝛫𝜅 𝛬𝜆 𝛭𝜇 𝛮𝜈 𝛯𝜉 𝛰𝜊 𝛱𝜋 𝛲𝜌 𝛴𝜎𝜍 𝛵𝜏 𝛶𝜐 𝛷𝜙𝜑 𝛸𝜒 𝛹𝜓 𝛺𝜔