Old 2022-11-29, 01:51   #2641
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

22×3×11×31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masser View Post
I don't have to report the intermediate stage 1 results, but I like to be thorough.
Please just submit the final stage-2 result once you have it, unless of course you find a factor in stage-1.
My preference would be that P-1 is also just reported once, not twice.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-03, 03:13   #2642
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

5·677 Posts
Default Primenet status page - updated

Before anyone complains, I'll just mention it here.

The page on the site that shows the "exponent status distribution" has been updated with a fancy schmancy HTML table.

The old page just had text that was formatted in a not-always-correct way to create a kind of table... 'ish.

I like it now much better, but I'm just betting there are some people out there who won't like it, or maybe they had a custom crawler setup that would parse it all out and gather data...

For those folks, I apologize in advance.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-03, 03:31   #2643
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

77748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
"exponent status distribution" has been updated with a fancy schmancy HTML table.
Since Aaron forgot to link to what he meant: https://www.mersenne.org/primenet/
My only complaint so far is having 0 instead of blank makes it that much harder to pick out lone small values where they maybe shouldn't be.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-03, 04:06   #2644
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

D3916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
Since Aaron forgot to link to what he meant: https://www.mersenne.org/primenet/
My only complaint so far is having 0 instead of blank makes it that much harder to pick out lone small values where they maybe shouldn't be.
Hmm... what about making the zero cells a different shade of gray or something so they can be tuned out a bit.

The columns can be sorted by the way. It's not showing the arrows on the header row but sorting is enabled on them all.

It's actually using a newer version of the jquery tablesorter... depending on how it goes I might update that on the other pages that use the tablesorter, but we'll see.

EDIT: I take it back... I tried making the zero cells a light gray and it's WAAAY too busy. Yuck. So either leave them as-is or make those cells blank.

If it helps anyone see what that looks like, I setup this static page with that (it won't update the values, but you can get an idea of how that looks):
TEST PAGE

Last fiddled with by Madpoo on 2022-12-03 at 04:56
Old 2022-12-03, 05:00   #2645
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·29·191 Posts

Quote:
I like it now much better, but I'm just betting there are some people out there who won't like it, or maybe they had a custom crawler setup that would parse it all out and gather data...
A couple of quick things...

First... While I support presenting this knowledge in a proper HTML rendering, I think some additional UX work might be needed. For example, the previous report had visual breaks every ten (10#) million ranges, while this new report is just one long 1,000-row table.

If I may please reference the Low Composite Candidate Cleanup report that came out of a great deal of collaboration during Wayne's project. Also, James' Mersenne.ca site is a case study in how to present complex data using contemporary HTML / CSS.

Secondly... Yes, this is going to break a couple of my spiders. I /think/ there is now a proper API to get this type of meta-data from the Primenet server. Correct? Could you please point me to the threads discussing this, and I'll delta my code paths.

One of the great things about hanging out here is seeing all the great things people do!
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-03, 05:42   #2646
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

5·619 Posts

Quote:
Before anyone complains, I'll just mention it here.

The page on the site that shows the "exponent status distribution" has been updated with a fancy schmancy HTML table.

The old page just had text that was formatted in a not-always-correct way to create a kind of table... 'ish.

The new table looks a lot nicer than the old text table, and I find it easier to read, too.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-03, 05:42   #2647
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

5×677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
A couple of quick things...

First... While I support presenting this knowledge in a proper HTML rendering, I think some additional UX work might be needed. For example, the previous report had visual breaks every ten (10#) million ranges, while this new report is just one long 1,000-row table.

If I may please reference the Low Composite Candidate Cleanup report that came out of a great deal of collaboration during Wayne's project. Also, James' Mersenne.ca site is a case study in how to present complex data using contemporary HTML / CSS.

Secondly... Yes, this is going to break a couple of my spiders. I /think/ there is now a proper API to get this type of meta-data from the Primenet server. Correct? Could you please point me to the threads discussing this, and I'll delta my code paths.

One of the great things about hanging out here is seeing all the great things people do!
No promises on how long this will be available, but the old format will still be available with this link:
GIMPS Summary - TEXT

James does good work with his site and he's been amazing at improving the Primenet pages as well. I'm just a hack fixing up the pages here and there. LOL What looks good to me tends to be more utilitarian than pretty. My own brother gave me a hard time back when I first did the redesign of the Primenet site... no respect.

The work on redesigning this particular page was more from a standpoint of cleaning up the SQL query that generates the page. I'd done the same work on other report pages but this particular one was so ugly that I put a pin in it 4 or 5 years ago, and finally decided to dive into it since I had a week vacation to burn.
Old 2022-12-03, 06:03   #2648
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·29·191 Posts

Quote:
... and finally decided to dive into it since I had a week vacation to burn.
Understood. But... Change management is a thing... 9^)

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2022-12-03 at 06:04 Reason: s/Absolutely/Understood/;
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-03, 18:21   #2649
lycorn

"GIMFS"
Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

30428 Posts

Quote:
or maybe they had a custom crawler setup that would parse it all out and gather data...

Guilty.
Apologies accepted . Back to the drawing board...
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-03, 18:41   #2650
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

338510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Understood. But... Change management is a thing... 9^)
Change whatnow?

I updated the table to replace zero with a blank.

As far as how the old text page would add a blank line every 10M range (so it would have 10 rows, then a blank, then 10 more)... I guess that would make more sense for a text-based table. Kind of arbitrary though and I guess just serves to break it up visually.

It would also generate a new "header" section every 50M because it was trying to keep that somewhere on the page at any given time, wherever you happened to scroll to. Hopefully the floating header row on the new table is a better way of doing that.

I do plan to add some tooltips to the header row so that if you hover over it, it'll have a description of what the columns are. The old page has a legend of sorts at the very bottom.

And it might make sense to have the column sections visually distinct. They're broken down into 5 basic groups:
- Exponent range (start/end) and # of known primes
- Composite (either verified LL/PRP or factored)
- Unknowns (single tests or untested)
- Assigned
- Available

Right now they all kind of blend together, whereas the text format had pipes as a bit of a marker between sections.

Those are all spit-and-polish types of things though and hopefully won't be an issue to tweak. Just fixing up the report generation in the first place and optimizing it was a larger undertaking. Without going into too much detail, let's just say that the way the old report was generated (and still is, since it's still spitting out that text format hourly) was using SQL cursors. We recently ran some analysis of our inefficient SQL queries and the cursors sprinkled here and there were significantly slower.

The rewrite means the HTML data generates in a fraction of the time which I'm pretty happy about, so you should expect to see the old text based output disappear at some point since that was also a main factor.

Bear in mind that these reports can take a while to generate. The server it's running on was pretty fresh at the time we set it up but it's now starting to show some age, and we've significantly grown the amount of data stored on it since then, with JSON results now, the PRP proof handling, etc. so trying to optimize our SQL is crucial.

On the other hand, we are trying to add some interesting new things and do some data cleanup. James has been working hard on a project to start showing the application name/version in the exponent reports. Part of that has meant going through hundreds of millions of old records and assigning them to the correct application lookup values, where maybe we'd used a generic one when the result came in.

Just things like that, having accurate version info on results may make it easier for researchers to look at bad results and see that some app and version had buggy results more often, or whatever.
Old 2022-12-03, 20:19   #2651
harlee

Sep 2006
Odenton, MD, USA

191 Posts

Want to report an issue with the server not accepting P-1 results with a factor found. This is happening on two different systems running 30.8 build 15:

[Work thread Dec 3 14:01] P-1 found a factor in stage #2, B1=320000, B2=243437040.
[Work thread Dec 3 14:01] M2935157 has a factor: 6538660032507417043406897 (P-1, B1=320000, B2=243437040)
[Comm thread Dec 3 14:01] Sending result to server: UID: harlee/i5-5250U_1600, M2935157 has a factor: 6538660032507417043406897 (P-1, B1=320000, B2=243437040)
[Comm thread Dec 3 14:01]
[Comm thread Dec 3 14:01] PnErrorResult value missing. Full response was:
[Comm thread Dec 3 14:01] [Dec 3 14:01] Visit http://mersenneforum.org for help.
[Comm thread Dec 3 14:01] Will try contacting server again in 70 minutes.
harlee is offline   Reply With Quote