Old 2023-01-04, 21:33   #672
drkirkby

"David Kirkby"
Jan 2021
Althorne, Essex, UK

3×151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargate38 View Post
I just looked on Mersenne.org's Top 500 contributors (over the past year), and Tucker Kao is at #27, compared to TJAOI, who's at #58. So Tucker Kao is doing more work himself (assuming male gender based on the name "Tucker") than TJAOI (who even has a thread about them). That alone makes the forum ban look unnecessarily long, IMHO.
I have only made a few posts on this forum over the last year. Various things peed me off, and in any case, with electricity costs in Europe so high, I could not justify running my workstation 24/7 like I used to.

Tucker Kao is certainly a bit odd, going on about his pet 168 million sequence, and how small the hashes are from PRP tests. I will however make a few observations.
  1. This forum is definitely the most unfriendly forum of any I have ever subscribed to. There were more complaints about me on this forum in a year than every other forum added together over the decades. I picked up at least one ban on here, but have never been banned from any other forum or mailing list. I felt there was often a very toxic atmosphere. That was the main reason I gave up doing any PRP tests, or participating in the forum.
  2. I think Tucker Kao is quite young. His hardware is limited to what his dad will buy him, so I suspect he is still a child.
  3. I can't be bothered to read all the posts about him, but I see at least part of the problem is him mis-quoting. Has the possibility he might be dyslexic been considered?
  4. A years ban will just piss someone off, and they will quite possibly never return.

In short, I think a years ban is counter productive.
drkirkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-04, 21:58   #673
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

10,891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargate38 View Post
@Uncwilly: Why not?
If he is not posting be cause he can't, that is not the same thing as choosing to not post. He was asking what it would take for someone like me or ATH to run a test in the 168M range.
Quote:
What I want is the PRP help. How about you specify what I need to finish prior to earn a free PRP test of my choice on 1 M168M exponent that a moderator like you or ATH will run?
I gave him my terms. He brought up the idea of an exchange, not me. My offer was genuine and I was and continue to be prepared to fulfill it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkirkby View Post
  • I think Tucker Kao is quite young. His hardware is limited to what his dad will buy him, so I suspect he is still a child.
  • I can't be bothered to read all the posts about him, but I see at least part of the problem is him mis-quoting. Has the possibility he might be dyslexic been considered?
His father approving of his purchases is a cultural thing. He is past the age of majority. But, since he is a son living with his parents, his culture dictates that his father would have to approve of an expenditure as large as buying a new PC. That comes from his posts (the ones that you can't be bothered to read.)

His mis-quoting is not a dyslexic issue. He is using the forum's quoting function and selectively removing parts of the quote without showing that there were parts left out in the middle. Again, if you had read prior posts before commenting, you would have seen this pointed out. A number of folks on this forum are dyslexic, including some moderators, and they don't abuse the quoting to change the apparent things that people say.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-04, 23:45   #674
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2B3816 Posts

Quote:
This forum is definitely the most unfriendly forum of any I have ever subscribed to.
In my considered opinion, this forum is definitely the most serious of any I have ever been involved with. We have world experts here. In many different rarified fields of excellence. We tend to subscribe to the Scientific Method.

It's never personal. We just seek the truth.

It's a bit like a game of Rugby.

Only, different...
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-05, 01:20   #675
drkirkby

"David Kirkby"
Jan 2021
Althorne, Essex, UK

3×151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
In my considered opinion, this forum is definitely the most serious of any I have ever been involved with. We have world experts here. In many different rarified fields of excellence. We tend to subscribe to the Scientific Method.

It's never personal. We just seek the truth.

It's a bit like a game of Rugby.

Only, different...
Chris,
There are many forums that have world experts. I subscribe to the time-nuts mailing list, which has many world experts in precision timekeeping. Many are academics, and many work on building atomic clocks in metrology labs like NIST & NPL. I have never seen rudeness of the sort seen on this forum.

I have worked with a number of very bright people over the years, with this lady probably the brightest of any
https://hillmanlab.zuckermaninstitut...-c-hillman-phd

Take a look at her achievements, whilst in her mid 40’s, and compare to your own. But she is not arrogant like yourself.

You appear to get some kick out of being rude to people on this forum, but leave them alone if they are thick-skinned enough. I know for a fact that you have had several bans over the years. If you were the only one on here like that, I would just put it down to a personality disorder. But arrogance seems the norm on these forums.

The above said, I do appreciate that it gets a bit much reading about the magic 168 million range, when there’s no logic whatsoever to it.

Dave
drkirkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-05, 01:27   #676
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

1106410 Posts

Quote:
But arrogance seems the norm on these forums.
Whatever, Dave...

I prefer to consider it playful self-confidence. And, getting shit done.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-05, 11:36   #677
S485122

"Jacob"
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

1,901 Posts

Quote:
There are many forums that have world experts. I subscribe to the time-nuts mailing list, which has many world experts in precision timekeeping. Many are academics, and many work on building atomic clocks in metrology labs like NIST & NPL. I have never seen rudeness of the sort seen on this forum.
The difference might be that you will have very few unknowledgable people posting authoritatively on a time keeping forum.

On this maths forum you have many unknowledgable people thinking they are authorities while spouting out numerology, nonsense or, worse, a refusal to acknowledge or do something about their lack of knowledge.

I find the Mersenne Forum a very tolerant place as long as one heeds the rules and the advice from the moderators. This forum even provides a space for people pursuing some whim.

A question : on those other forums did you encounter cases of people flouting the rules, ignoring the advice and requests from members and moderators, and NOT being sanctioned ?
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-05, 13:33   #678
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

11000010001002 Posts

Quote:
I<snip>
Tucker Kao is certainly a bit odd, going on about his pet 168 million sequence, and how small the hashes are from PRP tests.
<snip>
Not a Forum issue - as long as he's just using his own resources. Asking others to do work for him was an issue (see the thread title), but this is one lesson he seems to have learned. If he's wasting his own resources on a quest others may find silly, well, they're his resources to waste.

Quote:
I can't be bothered to read all the posts about him, but I see at least part of the problem is him mis-quoting. Has the possibility he might be dyslexic been considered?
The thing that first brought him to my attention as Moderator, was that another Moderator had noticed that he had quoted from a PM you had sent him, and (as subsequently determined), it was without your permission. His excuse was, basically, "He didn't respond to a PM, so I just assumed it was OK." This was BS. He could have Emailed you. Finding your Email address online was no challenge at all.

This singular occurrence is what put him on my radar.

Reading his posts more diligently disclosed that he had also persistently misquoted you, despite your telling him to stop it.

And, he just kept digging himself in deeper and deeper. In addition to simply making up false "quotes," and even attributing them to posts containing nothing like them, he made lying denials about what he had done, even after being confronted with the facts. It's documented in posts to this Forum, generally to this thread.

And now, having yourself disregarded the facts, you're making excuses for him.

If you think my banning Tuckerkao for a year is excessive, you're entitled to your opinion. But I warned him publicly back in March 2022 that I would ban him for at least a year if he failed to quote properly. I made the warning public so that all and sundry would have an opportunity to see it, and to raise objections if they thought what I proposed to do was excessive. Nobody did.

I would also point out that a lot of people who work on the Project are not, and never have been, Forum members. Anyone who wants to quit the Forum but wishes to keep contributing to the Project is free to do so.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-06, 09:53   #679
RMLabrador

"Chereztynnoguzakidai"
Oct 2022
Ukraine, near Kyiv.

2·23 Posts

The ban was in 2022, now 2023;
2023 - 2022 = 1 year.
Technically, it's a good time to unban)
RMLabrador is offline   Reply With Quote