mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2005-05-10, 06:15   #12
outlnder

Aug 2002

2·3·53 Posts

You can do nothing with that CPU.

Next time, buy a P4 Northwood or Prescott.

Sorry about your trouble.
outlnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-12, 10:32   #13
lycorn

"GIMFS"
Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

5E316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joël Harismendy
I regret this speed and I don't see what to do !
@+ JH
As Outlnder said, there´s not a lot to do with that CPU, but you don´t have to be upset for that, it is perfectly normal to get those values for a AMD Sempron. I´ve been running an Athlon XP 1800+ (Socket A, 1533 MHz) for more than 3 years and it has done good work for GIMPS. Yours is much better, so you will produce lots of work over the coming months. You may try Trial Factoring work, it is well suited for AMD XP/Sempron type of processors, and you will see more results coming out per amount of time spent crunching.
Enjoy!
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-12, 11:54   #14
Joël Harismendy

Aug 2004
France (Aquitaine)

2×7 Posts

Hello,

My mother card is Asus 7V600-X

Can I change my processor ?

If possible, which one compatible can buy ?

J.H
Joël Harismendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-12, 14:20   #15
Joe O

Aug 2002

3·52·7 Posts

Joel,
As far as I know, the processor you have is currently the fastest one available for that mother board. The Athlon XP 3000+ 2.15ghz has a slightly faster internal speed, but may not be as fast overall as your Sempron 3000+. The Socket-A motherboards are not where the fastest processors are available. I would suggest that you enjoy what you have while you save up for a new machine. There are plenty of people, myself included, who would like to have a machine as fast as yours. Not all of us can afford the latest, and greatest.
Joe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-15, 03:31   #16
Joël Harismendy

Aug 2004
France (Aquitaine)

2×7 Posts

Hello,
I have solved my problem with my vendor of my pc but I have one question !

He has accepted to exchange :

My old AMD Sempron 3000+ for

New Intel (R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3,20 GHz

CPU speed 3207,45 MHz
CPU features : RDTSC, CMOV, Prefetch, MMX, SSE, SSE2
L1 cache size : 16 KB
L2 cache size : 1024 kb

So I have choosen :

Daytime available mémory : 128 MB and Nighttime available : 256 MB

Now, with 24.11 version software, for my exponent : 26 510 879 I have about 0,054 s per itération but I will see better this nignt how it works alone ... but it is already better than 0,129 s with my old AMD Sempron 3000+ !!!

Here is my question : may I make a better choose for the datytime mémory and nighttime mémory to have better performance with this exponent ?

Thx for your advises !

Joël Harismendy
Joël Harismendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-15, 11:50   #17
db597

Jan 2003

3138 Posts

Joel, the memory is only used for factoring, which is less than 1% of the time. For the other 99% of the time, Prime95 will use less than 13MB of memory for the tests. Adding more memory won't speed up factoring either. It only increases the chances of finding a factor.
db597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-16, 14:32   #18
Peter Nelson

Oct 2004

232 Posts

Joel, if you want to tell exactly how fast your setup is on different sizes of work, select the test/benchmark option on the menu which outputs to screen and results.txt file. Post your results here OR compare them with others in the perpetual benchmark thread on this forum. This will tell you if your machine is running comparable to similar machines rather than something wrong with your setup.

Sorry, semptron are cheap for a reason that is they are not very fast.

If I were you I would use it for Trial factoring rather than LL testing.

You might be able to increase speed by overclocking a little. Check your bios for options that might let you increase frequency and (a little) voltage. Make sure you have enough cooling if you are going to overclock.

Whatever overclock, run the Torture Test option in prime95 to be sure your overclock rig can handle it and still be stable.

You might get a slight improvement running your windows in SAFE mode not normal. If you run the benchmark in normal and again in safe mode you will see how much faster (if any) safe mode is for you.

If you have lots of money and want to stay with AMD, the socket 939 Athlon64 is a good choice. 939 sockets support dual channel (therefore more memory bandwidth) than 754. I would for this reason not buy any socket 754 chip/board.
Peter Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-16, 15:05   #19
Peter Nelson

Oct 2004

232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joël Harismendy
He has accepted to exchange :

My old AMD Sempron 3000+ for

New Intel (R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3,20 GHz

CPU speed 3207,45 MHz
CPU features : RDTSC, CMOV, Prefetch, MMX, SSE, SSE2
L1 cache size : 16 KB
L2 cache size : 1024 kb

Joël Harismendy
That is great you got a decent processor now. You will obviously be using a different motherboard with either 478 or 775 socket suport. If you have choice in mobo get one with dual channel memory capability.

As stated above you may be able to overclock or run in safe mode.

Additionally, you can probably increase your overall throughput using hyperthreading turned on in the bios then running TWO instances of the program. Others on this forum report that usually increases. Maybe run one TF and one LL at same time.

Also if at all possible use DUAL CHANNEL memory. Your bios may report single or dual at boot time or a utility like CPU-Z will tell you. Memtest86 can be used to determine your total memory bandwidth (dual channel doubles it).

That is you make your total memory up from more than one dimm module and put them in paired slots of your mobo.

If you do not have this yet, buy another stick of memory so you can configure them as a pair.
Peter Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote