mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Factoring

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-05-11, 22:44   #1
Robert Holmes
 
Robert Holmes's Avatar
 
Oct 2007

2·53 Posts
Default Factorization of RSA-180

This just showed up on ePrint:

"Factorization of RSA-180" - http://eprint.iacr.org/2010/270

Another large factorization possible by ggnfs+msieve.
Robert Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 00:20   #2
moebius
 
moebius's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Germany

19×29 Posts
Default

I have done a Polynomial selection for RSA-180 at Jan 19th 2010 with msieve_gpu.


results for example


# norm 3.238498e-018 alpha -5.244691 e 2.982e-014
skew: 154808464.30
c0: 278552759242679896359919601738676051354776448
c1: -48023424149645535510809863817782915964
c2: -263808952653699707784808442634
c3: 291711014051391544978336
c4: 9424826240603
c5: 4320
Y0: -134640945149253025253619248206651255
Y1: 12665893392257695477

.
.
.
moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 00:29   #3
Jens K Andersen
 
Jens K Andersen's Avatar
 
Feb 2006
Denmark

2·5·23 Posts
Default

It seems odd that the paper doesn't give the factorization. I wonder whether it is deliberate or they forgot this rather important detail in their eager to not be scooped again. As I mentioned in another thread, an anonymous Wikipedia edit does give the factorizarion and credits them: "RSA-180 was factored on May 8, 2010 by S. A. Danilov and I. A. Popovyan from Moscow State University, Russia."
Jens K Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 00:45   #4
Batalov
 
Batalov's Avatar
 
"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

2·37·127 Posts
Default

Weren't they essentially scooped back in Nov.2008?
That was a home computer-class excercise, too; pol51, msieve, volunteers, + coffee + time = factorization.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 12:14   #5
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens K Andersen View Post
It seems odd that the paper doesn't give the factorization. I wonder whether it is deliberate or they forgot this rather important detail in their eager to not be scooped again. As I mentioned in another thread, an anonymous Wikipedia edit does give the factorizarion and credits them: "RSA-180 was factored on May 8, 2010 by S. A. Danilov and I. A. Popovyan from Moscow State University, Russia."
I might have been impressed if they had WRITTEN AND USED THEIR OWN
CODE. As it is, it is just a mostly mindless exercize in using someone else's
code. It is not worth publishing.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 13:53   #6
jasonp
Tribal Bullet
 
jasonp's Avatar
 
Oct 2004

353710 Posts
Default

They are in the middle of adding MPI support to the block Lanczos code, which I have been wanting to start for months now.

It's an interesting question whether RSA-190 is accessible now in the same way that RSA-180 was.

Last fiddled with by jasonp on 2010-05-12 at 13:54
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 14:05   #7
wblipp
 
wblipp's Avatar
 
"William"
May 2003
New Haven

3·787 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
I might have been impressed if they had WRITTEN AND USED THEIR OWN CODE. As it is, it is just a mostly mindless exercize in using someone else's code. It is not worth publishing.
And yet newsworthy. Is the problem a lack of channels for newsworthy but not publishable events, or the failure to use such channels in preference for the more prestigious channels?


P.S. You fool no one. You would not have been impressed of they had written their own code implementing someone else's algorithm, either. Code writing is not the key to garnering your admiration.
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 14:12   #8
Raman
Noodles
 
Raman's Avatar
 
"Mr. Tuch"
Dec 2007
Chennai, India

3×419 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonp View Post
They are in the middle of adding MPI support to the block Lanczos code, which I have been wanting to start for months now.

It's an interesting question whether RSA-190 is accessible now in the same way that RSA-180 was.
Once that this has been done entirely, we shall do M1061 together over within this forum. I will be ready at first of all, in order to run up the LA for that exactly, at once
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 15:24   #9
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))
 
fivemack's Avatar
 
Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

13·491 Posts
Default

I'm confident that RSA-190 is accessible; at least, I believe the software will run 33-bit LA, I have a 32G machine that can do the matrix-creation step, I believe boinc is large enough to do the sieving, and after less than two weeks on a GTX-275 I had a reasonable polynomial (E=9.253e-15, yield (16e, alim=rlim=2e8) 2.4486 for q=3e8..3e8+1e4 at 1.06470 sec/rel) for the larger C192 from 2^1087-1 that Bos killed off by ECM in February.

I have no desire to do RSA-190; to spend a kilowatt-decade of electricity (ten thousand dollars!) on breaking apart something that we know can be broken apart and of whose constituents we have no interest is purely wasteful.
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 15:38   #10
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter
 
ixfd64's Avatar
 
"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

1001010010012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
I might have been impressed if they had WRITTEN AND USED THEIR OWN
CODE. As it is, it is just a mostly mindless exercize in using someone else's
code. It is not worth publishing.
That's it, I'm quitting GIMPS right now. Since almost everybody uses Prime95 instead of writing their own program, discoveries of new Mersenne primes are obviously not newsworthy.
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 16:18   #11
Raman
Noodles
 
Raman's Avatar
 
"Mr. Tuch"
Dec 2007
Chennai, India

3×419 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemack View Post
... and after less than two weeks on a GTX-275 I had a reasonable polynomial (E=9.253e-15, yield (16e, alim=rlim=2e8) 2.4486 for q=3e8..3e8+1e4 at 1.06470 sec/rel) for the larger C192 from 2^1087-1 that Bos killed off by ECM in February.
Killed? The number still exists, as yet. There is no harm in doing 2,1087- c192 by using GNFS even now (in order to check out if that same factors are returned). Only thing is that its factors are being known right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
That's it, I'm quitting GIMPS right now. Since almost everybody uses Prime95 instead of writing their own program, discoveries of new Mersenne primes are obviously not newsworthy.
That's the problem with implementing with our own code. They will in no way comparable in speed with the world class one. Even by a factor of 10 to 100. Plenty of optimizations to be worked upon, what is the point in another person rewriting that same algorithm, that has already been implemented up by someone else by using their effort? It will take a while for me to understand about how that Fast Fourier Transform or that Discrete Weighted Transform works out, which right now plays a major roll with the ongoing Lucas Lehmer Tests. Even then, the 100% contribution cannot be from a single person at all, since one have to be dependent upon that GMP or some other library, which is surely, entirely written up by someone else (even especially as a team) only actually, after several months of man-work, rather.

Last fiddled with by Raman on 2010-05-12 at 16:21
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Factorization on 2^p +1 kurtulmehtap Math 25 2010-09-12 14:13
Factorization of 7,254+ dleclair NFSNET Discussion 1 2006-03-21 05:11
Factorization of 11,212+ Wacky NFSNET Discussion 1 2006-03-20 23:43
Factorization of 5,307- Jeff Gilchrist NFSNET Discussion 7 2005-02-23 19:46
Factorization of M(738) McBryce Factoring 2 2003-09-19 19:32

All times are UTC. The time now is 20:35.

Thu Apr 22 20:35:54 UTC 2021 up 14 days, 15:16, 0 users, load averages: 3.46, 3.52, 3.24

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.