Old 2009-02-11, 12:22   #1
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

11101001001002 Posts
Default People Piss Me Off

I currently have only a small number of machines with
which to do my computations.

I can't use machines in people's offices, not can I
use machines that are restricted to specific projects.

This leaves machines in public areas and labs. My
company calls them 'hotel areas', i.e. for guests.
There are not a lot of them; only a few in each of
our facilities.

There are well posted signs by these machines that
outline their terms of use:

(1) Do not turn them off.
(2) If you disconnect from the net to plug in your
laptop, then reconnect them when you are done.
(3) Do not steal the ethernet cables.

Despite these well posted rules, people ROUTINELY
violate them. This shows a great deal of disrespect to
other people who might want to use the machines.

What is it with people? I see the same attitude with
driving: run red lights and stop signs, drive in the break-down
lane, take left turns from the right lane, etc. etc.

I do not do these things.....

What is it with people? Either they are morons who
can't read, or assholes who think they can either break the
rules with impunity or assholes who are just plain inconsiderate
of others...... There are no other possibilities....

My computing work, even though it is not high priority, has
been slowed dramatically by people disconnecting machines
and turning them off despite well posted rules....

AND IT PISSES ME OFF.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 12:36   #2
JHansen

Apr 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark

11101002 Posts

It's probably due to ignorance on most people's part. I guess the reasoning goes along the lines "Ah, this machine is available for public use, hence it cannot be doing anything important. If anything important had to be done, surely it would be done on a computer that couldn't be switched off as easily as I do now, because this lousy web browser seems to be stuck. ZAP!"

Try replacing the notice signs with something in the line of:

"These computers are being used by scientists to do calculations at this moment. Should you require the use of a computer you are welcome to use one, but please follow these rules, in order not to disrupt the current computations: <Insert rules here>

--
Cheers,
Jes

Last fiddled with by JHansen on 2009-02-11 at 12:36 Reason: Spelling
JHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 13:27   #3
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHansen View Post
It's probably due to ignorance on most people's part. --
Cheers,
Jes
(1) The rules are well posted. There is a VERY large sign.
(2) Your explanation does not explain why the ethernet cables
simply vanish.......

It isn't ignorance. It is indifference and disrespect.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 14:34   #4
S00113

Dec 2003

23·33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
simply vanish.......

I can easily understand your frustration, and have a lot of bad experience in this regard myself. It seems to only get worse. Do your "guest" also connect one network outlet to another using the cable? This will kill your network with looping traffic, and the easiest way to fix it is to glue the cables to the computers. This will also solve your cable theft problem.

Have you tried marking the cables? Standard grey or yellow ethernet cables can easily be marked with a normal BIC pen. "This cable is stolen from ... Please return me." This makes people less likely to forget, at least.

It is a common mistake by computer manufacturers to put a power switch on the front. This should be disconnected, and normal users should not have the privelidge to turn off machines by other means.

When it comes to office machines, I have found that it isn't hard if you ask the owner first, and then make sure your program is not running when the owner is working. Priority doesn't matter, they always notice your program by the fan noise and in top, taskmanager, swapping when he returns from lunch or whatever. Just make absolutely sure the owner doesn't get annoyed at a bad time, like when he is working late to make a deadline. Only six good CPU hours a night at the lowest possible priority are better than none.
S00113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 15:09   #5
schickel

"Frank <^>"
Dec 2004
CDP Janesville

1000010010102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
simply vanish.......

Unfortunately, I would tend to think that it's the same attitude that lies behind the current economic troubles: the rules apply to other people, not me, since what I do is special....and there's no cure for that except a large dose of reality upside the head.
schickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 15:13   #6
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

612410 Posts

I think it is always best to give reasons when listing rules. For each of the rules you can also provide a short explanation of why that rules exists. When people realise that the rules are not just arbitrary but have a real purpose then incidents of such annoying behaviour should reduce.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 16:16   #7
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

33×131 Posts

The last time I was in Boston, I walked from the arena to a neighborhood restaurant less than two blocks away. In that distance there were three profanity-laced arguments between people in cars.

Regarding leaving valuables in cars: you are not supposed to leave anything when parking in high-crime areas, even if it's worth $1; when a thief isn't responsible for a broken window, then your window is worth $1 for the stuff he can steal. Friends have told stories about car windows getting broken so that a (paper) notebook could get stolen.
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 17:13   #8
bsquared

"Ben"
Feb 2007

340410 Posts

One advantage of living in the midwest - none of the stuff you guys are talking about happens, at least not routinely. I think there really is such a thing as "Minnesota Nice".

Another plus: the public school system is excellent.

Last fiddled with by bsquared on 2009-02-11 at 17:14
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 17:25   #9
philmoore

"Phil"
Sep 2002
Tracktown, U.S.A.

3×373 Posts

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/bizarro.asp

(Go to Feb.11th)

By the way, this was published in our local paper today with the word "freakin'" replaced by "*&#%".

Last fiddled with by philmoore on 2009-02-11 at 17:26
philmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 18:35   #10
tha

Dec 2002

2×34×5 Posts

Any computer with no one sitting behind the keyboard is idle. No calculation can take more time than the time that is needed to get up from your chair. Therefore switching off a machine helps to save energy. If the computer has an on/off switch you can ignore the sign, only servers should remain on and they are locked up in a cabinet by definition.

The network cable was needed to download the sport reviews and these cables were paid with tax money, so they belong to all of us. Anyway, they were connected to that idle pc.

---
I can safely assume the public spaces you mentioned are not open to real public. In that case they would have been installed in booths screwed to the floor with three holes in it, one for the airflow and the other for the keyboard and mouse cable.

Since people always take the road of the least resistance I think a good simple hurdle for the cables would be to use a high quality tie wrap to connect them to the pc. If you do that about a meter from the plug, it can still be plugged into a laptop. Having to get a knife is time consuming and eliminates the majority of the troubles.
tha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 20:30   #11
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

224308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha View Post
Since people always take the road of the least resistance I think a good simple hurdle for the cables would be to use a high quality tie wrap to connect them to the pc. If you do that about a meter from the plug, it can still be plugged into a laptop. Having to get a knife is time consuming and eliminates the majority of the troubles.
Or zip-tie them to a bundle of other wires or the leg of a desk. This will help keep honest people honest.

Are you talking about people driving in the BMW/Mercedes/Lexus lane of the highway? A good buddy in a truck taking about 2/5 of that lane general stops them. Or if you have time, pull over, put your hood up, your flashers and seat belt on, then have fun watching your mirror.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote