Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2009-01-22, 21:01   #1
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2×3×13×83 Posts
Default Calling a spade a "spade"

This is a protest about political correctness gone mad.

"Nigger" surely started out as a version of "negro".
"Paki" as a simple contraction of "Pakistani"
"Sooty" = black.

What's the problem?

PS Renaming Harringay "Harringey" I ask you.

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2009-01-22 at 21:22
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 21:29   #2
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

2D6816 Posts

The problem is typically more one of the connotations and historical associations (or more to the point, "baggage") those words have come to have over the years more than the words themselves.

The recent story about the suicide of German businessman Adolf Merckle reminded me how the name "Adolf" fell drastically out of favor in the German-speaking world post-WW2. Nothing whatsoever wrong with the name, it's a perfectly fine German name - it just now has a lot of unfortunate historical baggage.

p.s.: What have you got against neutered female cats that you feel the need to insult them so? ;)

p.p.s: Speaking of out-of-favor names - int his case one I can only hope has fallen into disuse - what's up with the English name (specifically when used as a first name for girls, no less) "Murgatroyd"? Here in the U.S. I've heard it used, but only as a joke name as in "heavens to Murgatroyd!" and in reference to an annoying underfoot child, "...and little Murgatroyd over here...".

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2009-01-22 at 22:02
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 22:49   #3
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2·3·13·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
p.s.: What have you got against neutered female cats that you feel the need to insult them so? ;)
I assume you refer to Sooty here.
This is all a bit English.
It has been revealed that one of Prince Charles' polo friends
delights in the nickname.

Thankyou for fielding this thread so tactfully.

PS referring to the carefully chosen title of the thread,
is the term "spade" ever used these days to fefer to an American
of African origin and if if so how is it regarded?
In 1972 I guessed it was kinda cool.

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2009-01-22 at 23:17
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 23:06   #4
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
p.p.s: Speaking of out-of-favor names - int his case one I can only hope has fallen into disuse - what's up with the English name (specifically when used as a first name for girls, no less) "Murgatroyd"? Here in the U.S. I've heard it used, but only as a joke name as in "heavens to Murgatroyd!" and in reference to an annoying underfoot child, "...and little Murgatroyd over here...".
... and what do you have against either Margaret, her clearing or people originating therefrom?

From http://www.babynames.com/name/MURGATROYD

Quote:
The meaning of the name Murgatroyd is From Margaret's Clearing

The origin of the name Murgatroyd is English

Notes: Originally a Yorkshire surname.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2009-01-22 at 23:07
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 23:19   #5
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

265508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
... and what do you have against either Margaret, her clearing or people originating therefrom?

From http://www.babynames.com/name/MURGATROYD
What I have against Maggie is her usurping the name origin from its original, um, originator - as the "joke name" link explains:

It seems that Murgatroyd has a long history as a family name in the English aristocracy. In his genealogy The Murgatroyds of Murgatroyd, Bill Murgatroyd states that, in 1371, a constable was appointed for the district of Warley in Yorkshire. He adopted the name of Johanus de Morgateroyde - literally John of Moor Gate Royde or 'the district leading to the moor'.

The moor was there long before the clearing, so there.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 05:17   #6
AES

Jul 2007
Tennessee

60810 Posts

I'm currently managing an agile software development project and have an "East TN with some NC Tsalagi influence" accent. It's even worse when I try to abandon it.

I've been dubbed a "ScrumBilly". It may not be PC but I think it's quite funny.
AES is offline   Reply With Quote