Old 2012-10-04, 09:43   #57
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7×467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
What we need is someone to manage the game in the chess forum thread. A super mod would work but we are also open to a different volunteer. This person needs to be trustworthy since they will be able to view both forums. They also need to visit pretty regularly and have a good handle on doing the graphics and move list.
Serge seems a very natural candidate for this position in the light of the most recent developments. Could you do this for us, Serge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Someone from the Toxic Gecko team needs to send Rich the password.

Toxic Gecko team's password sent to richs.

Mike, I just want to express my enormous thanks for the time and effort you've put in setting all of this up. I'm certain I speak for everyone who's getting involved when I say that.

Have we finalised team captains yet? Are they Dubslow and henryzz? Or am I jumping the gun with that guess?
Old 2012-10-04, 10:40   #58
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

16EE16 Posts

toxic gecko
Recipients: richs, Brian-E, henryzz, Zeta-Flux

shaolin pirates
Recipients: Dubslow, henryzz, Raman, science_man_88

These seem to be the players with the passwords currently. For some reason I have both.
Dubslow and I seem to have ended up captains so that probably leaves me on toxic gecko.
LaurV has been posting in this thread. Do you want to play? If so he would need access to the shaolin pirates subforum.
When are we starting? Which team is white?
Old 2012-10-04, 11:22   #59
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7·467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
toxic gecko
Recipients: richs, Brian-E, henryzz, Zeta-Flux

shaolin pirates
Recipients: Dubslow, henryzz, Raman, science_man_88

These seem to be the players with the passwords currently. For some reason I have both.
Dubslow and I seem to have ended up captains so that probably leaves me on toxic gecko.
LaurV has been posting in this thread. Do you want to play? If so he would need access to the shaolin pirates subforum.
When are we starting? Which team is white?
You'll need to "forget" the Shaolin Pirates password, I guess. Perhaps that one was sent to you in error and was intended for LaurV? As far as I can judge, LaurV was indeed intending to play.

You mentioned in your summary posting of the rules that you are without regular internet access until about the 10th. If that is still true, we could start about then as you suggested.

Dubslow generously suggested that his team has Black since he had the honour of choosing its name, so our team, the Toxic Geckos, could perhaps take White and prepare to play the first move on or around the 10th of October. Is this a good plan?
Old 2012-10-04, 12:24   #60
Raman
Noodles

"Mr. Tuch"
Dec 2007
Chennai, India

100111010012 Posts

Team playing? Four players to make a move decision? I don't like the system set-up very much.

I would prefer a round robin league play from among the individual pools, and then the top two
from each group, would play the every knockout match in during the next round.

The bottom two players of the each pool will be eliminated, and then the winner of the semi-final
game, will go in to the final round match game.

Group Y: A, B, C, D (Sri Lanka, West Indies, England, New Zealand)
Group Z: E, F, G, H (Australia, Pakistan, India, South Africa)

A vs B | E vs F
C vs D | G vs H
C vs A | G vs E
B vs D | F vs H
D vs A | H vs E
B vs C | F vs G

Y1 vs Z2 -> Winner W
Y2 vs Z1 -> Winner X

W vs X

Last fiddled with by Raman on 2012-10-04 at 13:18 Reason: The cricket teams being obscured
Old 2012-10-04, 12:27   #61
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

25×5×59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
Grrr, how could you miss me? :P I will kick your queen in her rock for that! Please add me to one of the teams, I don't mind which, even if only for kibitzing, I am very good at that activity.
Old 2012-10-04, 12:50   #62
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

25×3×5×17 Posts

We will generate new passwords in a minute and distribute them to the right people.

Old 2012-10-04, 13:02   #63
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

1FE016 Posts

New passwords have been generated and sent and team captains have been promoted.

Old 2012-10-04, 13:09   #64
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

25·3·5·17 Posts

The teams as we understand it:
  • Shaolin Pirates
    • Dubslow
    • LaurV
    • Raman
    • science_man_88
  • Toxic Geckos
    • Brian-E
    • henryzz
    • richs
    • Zeta-Flux
Old 2012-10-04, 13:56   #65
Raman
Noodles

"Mr. Tuch"
Dec 2007
Chennai, India

3×419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Eight player League scenario

Group Y: A, B, C, D
Group Z: E, F, G, H

A vs B | E vs F
C vs D | G vs H
C vs A | G vs E
B vs D | F vs H
D vs A | H vs E
B vs C | F vs G

Y1 vs Z2 -> Winner W
Y2 vs Z1 -> Winner X

W vs X
Six player League scenario
Group S: L, M, N
Group T: P, Q, R

L vs M | P vs Q
M vs N | Q vs R
N vs L | R vs P

S1 vs T2 -> Winner I
S2 vs T1 -> Winner J

I vs J

S1 vs T1

Ten player League scenario

Group Д: Γ, Δ, Θ, Σ, Ω (Sri Lanka, West Indies, England, New Zealand, Bangladesh)
Group Б: Π, Λ, Φ, Ξ, Ψ (Australia, Pakistan, India, South Africa, Zimbabwe)

Γ vs Δ | Π vs Λ
Θ vs Σ | Φ vs Ξ
Ω vs Γ | Ψ vs Π
Δ vs Θ | Λ vs Φ
Σ vs Ω | Ξ vs Ψ
Γ vs Θ | Π vs Φ
Ω vs Δ | Ψ vs Λ
Σ vs Γ | Ξ vs Π
Θ vs Ω | Φ vs Ψ
Δ vs Σ | Λ vs Ξ

Д1 vs Б2 -> Winner Ж
Д2 vs Б1 -> Winner Ч

Ж vs Ч

Last fiddled with by Raman on 2012-10-04 at 14:00
Old 2012-10-04, 15:54   #66
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

587010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
You'll need to "forget" the Shaolin Pirates password, I guess. Perhaps that one was sent to you in error and was intended for LaurV? As far as I can judge, LaurV was indeed intending to play.

You mentioned in your summary posting of the rules that you are without regular internet access until about the 10th. If that is still true, we could start about then as you suggested.

Dubslow generously suggested that his team has Black since he had the honour of choosing its name, so our team, the Toxic Geckos, could perhaps take White and prepare to play the first move on or around the 10th of October. Is this a good plan?
Sounds like a good plan. I have now managed to get working a temporary solution for internet using the public library's internet a couple of doors down. This is only within library opening hours which excludes Sunday. It also has an annoying habit of dropping. I will start a discussion thread for the first move in my team's forum. If we are ready to post early we might although it is more likely than usual to be delayed.

edit: BTW Xyzzy is there a reason why I can't seem to post formatting or smilies in the private subforum?

Last fiddled with by henryzz on 2012-10-04 at 15:56
Closed Thread