mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Linux

Old 2007-02-15, 13:33   #12
Cruelty

May 2005

110010110002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
1. A dynamic program relies on the operating system having relevant libraries.
So which is better from performance perspective then?

Last fiddled with by Cruelty on 2007-02-15 at 13:35
Cruelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-15, 13:50   #13
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2·3·19·31 Posts

I suggest you suck it and see. Please get back to us with your findings.
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-16, 04:07   #14
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2×3×19×31 Posts

My own tests on a lowly Pentium 2.4GHz with Ubuntu reveals "llr" is 1.2% quicker than "sllr"
Old 2007-02-16, 06:37   #15
vaio

Sep 2006
England

101002 Posts

Greetings

As a linux noob I feel comfortable using Ubuntu myself, but then I only really use linux for running folding@home at the moment.

Surprising how much hardware support under linux has improved recently.
vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 23:08   #16
Cruelty

May 2005

23×7×29 Posts

OK, this is perhaps some basic question etc. but I will ask it anyway. My status with Linux is following:
  • I have installed latest Ubuntu.Desktop.amd64.
  • I have downloaded and extracted mprime 24.14 to folder on a desktop.
The question: how to launch mprime under linux? Double-click does not seem to work... typing mprime in command line also doesn't work... am I missing something here?
I also tried to create a folder to share it with other PC's over network, when I try to share it, it asks me to install Unix and/or Windows "drivers", when I press OK it asks me the same question again and again...
Old 2007-02-19, 00:23   #17
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2×3×19×31 Posts

Quote:
OK, this is perhaps some basic question etc. but I will ask it anyway. My status with Linux is following:

* I have installed latest Ubuntu.Desktop.amd64.
* I have downloaded and extracted mprime 24.14 to folder on a desktop.
Fair enough.

Quote:
The question: how to launch mprime under linux?
You need permission to execute it: this can be done by issuing the following command(s):

chmod u+x /home/cruelty/desktop/mprime/mprime or whatever it is on your system.

"u" stands for user (that's you) and "+x" add execution privalige. "man chmod" for more details.

Quote:
Double-click does not seem to work...
Maybe you can change execution permission flag from with in the file manager too (via "right-clicking" the mouse)... if not use the method above. Now create a shortcut to mprime, and tick the box that says "open in a terminal" (or similar). (Right click on the shortcut if you need to change something.) Make sure the command box is something like

~/desktop/mprime/mprime -m

where the "-m" is mprime's own switch to present you with its menu.

Be careful about paths. "." is current director. "~/" is your home directory. "/" is the root directory.

(The command "set" will show you all your environmental variables, including "PATH" which tells the system to search those listed with it (PATH) to look through in order for any executables.)

If, for instance, you were using a terminal in the same director as mprime (and the correct execution permission is given) you could issue

./mprime -m

Quote:
I also tried to create a folder to share it with other PC's over network, when I try to share it, it asks me to install Unix and/or Windows "drivers", when I press OK it asks me the same question again and again...
You will need a file server installed such as Samba -- one that M$ understands -- (and maybe permission from root to allow user/users to share.)

Try to restrict access to your servers, maybe with the use of /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2007-02-19 at 00:50
Old 2007-02-19, 01:35   #18
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

32×883 Posts

If your 64-bit Linux is pure (and I don't know if Ubuntu's is or not) then Mprime will not run. I had this issue months ago when I ran 64-bit Debian.

Either way, the exact error message will tell you what the problem is.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-19, 01:57   #19
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2×3×19×31 Posts

Quote:
Maybe you can change execution permission flag from with in the file manager too (via "right-clicking" the mouse)... if not use the method above. Now create a shortcut to mprime, and tick the box that says "open in a terminal" (or similar). (Right click on the shortcut if you need to change something.) Make sure the command box is something like

~/desktop/mprime/mprime -m
I tried doing this but couldn't do it no Gnome. I could create a file called "start_mprime_menu.sh" containing:

cd ~/desktop/mprime
./mprime -m

then from the file manager give it execute permissions and open it with "terminal" chosen from the "open with" list.

Better would be to have mprime in your own personal "~/bin" directory and check this is included in your PATH when you start a new terminal. (Hint: ~/.bashrc and ~/.bash_profile [assuming you are using bash]).
Old 2007-02-19, 02:06   #20
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2·3·19·31 Posts

Quote:
(The command "set" will show you all your environmental variables, including "PATH" which tells the system to search those listed with it (PATH) to look through in order for any executables.)
Hmm "set" does not have the usual info with Ubuntu. Try:

$PATH

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2007-02-19 at 02:07
Old 2007-02-19, 08:41   #21
Cruelty

May 2005

162410 Posts

Well, I have tried several things - see attached. Still mprime is not working
Xyzzy what do you mean by "pure"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mprime.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1525  
Old 2007-02-19, 10:27   #22
Cruelty

May 2005

23×7×29 Posts

Some other things I've managed to do with my system:
  • I've connected to Internet through Windows' shared connection. Had to manually configure "eth0" since DHCP was not working properly.
  • VNC is working although it is very CPU intensive (~30% utilization of one core).
  • I've installed and launched SMB, however I am still unable to connect to shared folder from Windows XP. When I type "\\C2Q-HOME" it asks me for user+password, and does not accept any entry I give (there is no error message). Perhaps I should put a full path to shared folder afterwards