mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > kriesel

Old 2020-06-16, 03:24   #1
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

12EB16 Posts
Default MersenneForum Netiquette (the unwritten 'rules', documented)

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
not considered good netiquette.
What is considered good netiquette for this forum, and where is it found? A link I could both read, and share in my reference materials would be ideal. (Yes I already searched, for too long.)
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-16, 03:49   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

29·317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
What is considered good netiquette for this forum, and where is it found? A link I could both read, and share in my reference materials would be ideal. (Yes I already searched, for too long.)
I think that like many places, the written rules are few. The vibe and tone is best noted by lurking and observing.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-16, 13:48   #3
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

484310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
I think that like many places, the written rules are few. The vibe and tone is best noted by lurking and observing.
But that is not working well enough. I've been blindsided and hammered for not knowing what was not clear, too many times. And I know I am not alone in that. I've seen it happen to others also. Some of whom appear to no longer be participating; at least one that contributed to code and documentation in the past. ("invalid user"). And surely there are better uses for moderators' time than to deal repeatedly with the results of such lack of prior communication or documentation. It is inefficient for both users and moderators, to depend on users sleuthing out unwritten rules, and punish them for getting it wrong in the opinion of some moderators. It's also bad for morale.
The vibe and tone could use some improvement.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-06-16 at 15:55
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-19, 14:54   #4
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

29×317 Posts
Default MersenneForum Netiquette (the unwritten 'rules', documented)

In no particular order: (only numbered for referral purposes)
  1. Post only clean and direct URL's. Trim off all referrer and tracking bits on the end. Don't post links to a news aggregator site, post the link that is directly to the original content.
    • URL shorteners and LMGTFY (Let me Google that for you) are not prohibited, but should only be used when there is a cause to do so.
  2. Don't post "bare" links. Tell us why we should follow it. In the 'RIP' thread, tell about the person, what they did or who they are.
  3. Don't post new threads where there is an active thread directly on topic.
  4. Avoid cross posting
  5. Use the available reference information, and search tool, for answers before posting questions.
  6. Post threads in the sub-forum where they are most on topic.
    • Post posts in the thread where they are most on topic. If there's no good fit start a new thread in a well chosen forum.
  7. Use the quote feature judiciously. In general, the quoted content in a post should be less than the originalnew content.
  8. Generally only make one response post to a previous message. Responding to multiple posts in a single one is fine (using the forum's multi-quote function).
  9. Break up the original quote into bite size pieces when needed and reply to each section as needed.
  10. The first 4 posts in this thread:Soapbox Discussions contain rules that are good to apply throughout the forum.
  11. Nice looking links (like in the line above) are good.
  12. There are easy to use tags for Mersenne Numbers (82589933), YouTube, xkcd (386), pastebin, OEIS (000668), etc. Please use them when appropriate. (See the advanced editor).
  13. Don't be a racist, sexist, bully, etc. Remember that this is a forum open to the public. This includes school kids trying to learn math and computers. Online you can't assume anyone's age, gender, country, etc. (no matter their user ID or their avatar).
  14. There is more leeway in the Soapbox, but it is not a free-for-all.
  15. There is less leeway in the math sub-forum. Post with rigor, or get called on it, perhaps sharply.
    • Use standard notation in the Math forum.
  16. It is best to state assumptions and clarifications up front. Not everyone is on the same level nor do they think alike.
  17. When referencing a previous post that is not being quoted, kindly link to it and mention the post number. eg Post #4
  18. Publishing private messages of another person, regardless of the fact they were addressed to you or to a third party, without asking the sender (and the receiver if that is a third party) and without getting permission to publish them, is definitively wrong, and against any etiquette, netiquette, etc.
  19. 1 account per user (person). If a user creates a "sock puppet" account, either one or both are subject to banning.
  20. Learn the forum's software's capabilities. (general netiquette)
  21. Lurk more, post less (general netiquette) <~2 posts/day average?
  22. Make an effort to clearly sound friendly. Especially when not in agreement. Tone is hard to gauge from plain text, and so it is sometimes perceived as more antagonistic than may have been intended.
    • Emojis can help set a tone. But, remember that an ironic or hyberpolic use of an emoji might not be understood that way.
  23. Write whole sentences with good grammar and spelling. It's much more readable. That's courteous to the readers.
  24. Avoid sentences that really ought to be paragraphs instead; break up paragraphs that masquerade as sentences, or can't be said in one breath, or use multiple coupling words such as or, but, and, however, therefore, etc., or use commas or semicolons too much, like this one does.
  25. A little redundancy may aid clarity. Brevity's good too.
  26. Use links to prior posts, not copy/paste previous content.
  27. Use attachments, for large text, for content only some readers may want, and to have less impact on the forum database.
  28. Minimize use of idioms as a courtesy to other nationalities & cultures.
  29. Don't spam, troll, or post too much off-topic. A little digression is allowed. Too much may result in moderators moving some content to a separate thread.
  30. Moderators will often help organize posts, or edit posts to correct errors (after user deadline), upon reasonable request.
  31. Remember, you were once a noob to the subject. Be kind & helpful to noobs. Noob is relative, and topic-specific.
  32. Scold in private. Praise in public. That is to say, private messages are useful. Use them as appropriate.
  33. Choose coaching not scolding, persuasion in moderation not nagging.
  34. This is not the place for religious zealotry (including atheism), or OS or hardware zealotry.
  35. Being accomplished in number theory or programming is no excuse for being deliberately abusive to someone else. Be civil or be banned.
  36. Blogs are granted by Xyzzy to specific users, and are areas owned and managed by those individual users. It is rude to create new threads without the prior clear consent of the blog owner or to tamper with the contents. Just don't. Threads created outside of blogs are "community property" or part of the "public square", and don't "belong" to the individual who created them.

This list is not complete. It is subject to update. Some parts of this post may also apply. (Italic font content by kriesel)

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-01-05 at 18:23 Reason: minor edits; address the occasionally seen "this is my thread, I created it" viewpoint
Old 2020-06-19, 15:17   #5
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

179210 Posts

Quote:
In no particular order:
  • Post only clean and direct URL's. Trim off all referrer and tracking bits on the end. Don't post links to a news aggregator site, post the link that is directly to the original content.
    • URL shorteners and LMGTFY are not prohibited, but should only be used when there is a cause to do so.
  • Don't post new threads where there is an active thread directly on topic.
  • Avoid cross posting
  • Post threads in the sub forum where they are most on topic.
  • 1 account per user. If a user creates a "sock puppet" account, either one or both are subject to banning.
  • Using the quote feature judiciously. In general, the quoted content in a post should be less than the original content.
  • The first 4 posts in this thread:Soapbox Discussions contain rules that are good to apply through out the forum.
  • Nice looking links (like in the line above) are good.
  • There are easy to use tags for Mersenne Numbers (82589933), YouTube, xkcd (386), pastebin, OEIS (000668), etc. Please use them when appropriate.
  • Don't be a racist, sexist, etc. Remember that this is a forum open to the public. This includes school kids trying to learn math and computers. Online you can't assume anyone's age, gender, country, etc. (no matter their user ID or their avatar).
  • There is more leeway in the Soapbox, but it is not a free-for-all.
  • It is best to state assumptions and clarifications up front. Not everyone is on the same level nor do they think alike.

This list is not complete and subject to update.

A lot of members here can take a long URL and connect it to a single word in a post. I have never been able to determine how this is done. Some instruction would be nice!

Last fiddled with by storm5510 on 2020-06-19 at 15:18
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-19, 15:47   #6
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

3·11·107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
A lot of members here can take a long URL and connect it to a single word in a post. I have never been able to determine how this is done. Some instruction would be nice!
Highlight the words you want to use and click on the Earth icon. Replace the "http" there with the whole URL e.g https://mersenneforum.org
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-19, 15:52   #7
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

29×317 Posts

Type the text you want to make a link
See the attached images for how I did it and the code box for how it looks in the message.
[URL="http://mersenne.org"]Type the text you want to make a link[/URL]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	High light.png
Views:	59
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	22611   Click image for larger version

Name:	type in.png
Views:	60
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	22612   Click image for larger version

Name:	result.png
Views:	57
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	22613  
Old 2020-06-20, 00:22   #8
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

28×7 Posts

Quote:
Type the text you want to make a link
See the attached images for how I did it and the code box for how it looks in the message.
[URL="http://mersenne.org"]Type the text you want to make a link[/URL]
Thank you for your reply!

I think where I had been messing up was not putting quotes around the address. I seldom have the need to use it. Some URL's can be very long and I feel it looks a bit sloppy in a post. I would much rather keep them short.

storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-20, 02:57   #9
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·34·37 Posts

Quote:
  • URL shorteners and LMGTFY are not prohibited, but should only be used when there is a cause to do so.
I have a generic aversion to URL shorteners. Basically I hate them. They are used both for hiding the destination, and tracking users visits to other websites. Plus the shortener service can disappear and then the link is dead with no idea where it was going.

Shorteners only add an extra layer of dependence, but without any associated benefit.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-20, 03:30   #10
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

33·61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I think where I had been messing up was not putting quotes around the address.
There is no need to use quotes.

The reference for the different codes can be found by clicking on the link about BB codes in the footer of any forum page in the Posting rules table.

The link I just posted was [url=https://www.mersenneforum.org/misc.php?do=bbcode]BB codes[/url], no quotes.

Reading the manual can often help :-D

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-20, 16:21   #11
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

29·317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I have a generic aversion to URL shorteners.
Shorteners only add an extra layer of dependence, but without any associated benefit.
There are 2 related benefits that URL shorteners do provide:
1. Ease of transportability and entry. They can be printed out on the "take a tab" poster or other place. Before the QR code, they were the go to. Many years ago when Mapquest was what people turned to for directions, I was helping to organize a retreat off in the wilderness, where addresses were absent. So, I dropped a marker on the map and created a short URL that I could print of the flyer. 80+ random characters are far easier to get wrong.
2. Ease of remembrance. If one is riding or driving and sees the short url (especially if it uses a common service) it is far easier to remember when one can stop and check out the site. Or they can remember and share it (see point 1) with a friend/family/enemy that they think should visit the site.

LMGTFY is useful for humourous effects, or to show people how easy it is to find something, or to demonstrate a proper selection of search terms.

Thus, I would say that they have enough utility to not be prohibited, but discouraged from routine use.