mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2012-08-09, 21:49   #1
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

48516 Posts
Default they used to be called programs...

but Apple tricked the kids into calling them Apps.

So, I purchased a new laptop ahead of Nanowrimo. (and before you ask I won't be running Prime95 on it regularly :)

I installed Scrivener and Chrome and Waterfox, Calibre, 7zip, Tweetdeck, iTunes, Winamp, prime95 (because I couldn't help myself), and some music and etc...

It got me to thinking. What 'must have' programs do you guys (and gals) load on your computers right away?

Do you think it is oddly fun like I do?

Do you run a benchmark first thing because you want to know what an i7-3615QM chip will do?

Anyway what awesome programs am I missing out on?
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 22:25   #2
TObject

Feb 2012

6258 Posts

Word, Excel, XNUMBERS (multi-precision floating point computation and numerical methods for Excel), ImgBurn, CPU-z, GPU-z, CPUID Hardware Monitor, Adobe, Capture NX, Visual Studio, Delphi, Mobipocket, Calibre, Sybase Anywhere, SD Formatter, Google Earth…
TObject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 22:32   #3
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

LibreOffice Writer/Spreadsheet...
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 22:58   #4
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×3×1,567 Posts

Linux....
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 04:39   #5
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

2·11·192 Posts

Linux (Ubuntu), with only "Free" repositories.

Then "gmp-ecm", "openssh-server", "pdftk" and "screen".

Everything else is already there.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 05:24   #6
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

100011101110112 Posts

A psychologist could easy spot what character you are, from those lists

The first thing I ever install after windows, is my favorite antivirus (eset), firewall and all the tools I use for system protection, my favorite file browser (total commander, because windows explorer is THE worst written and the stupidest program I ever seen! I am still norton commander nostalgic ), my favorite compression/encryption programs (winrar, etc, encryption refers to putting a strong password on a zipped file containing materials which should not be accessible to my children/wife/colleagues/restoftheworld, or to to encrypt/decrypt some existing files using a weak personal-designed encryption method, and not to some complicate numerical encryption stuff). Same of the tools mentioned before are personal production. Then come my favorite tool to mock up with the windows registry and system events, which registry I regularly maintain in shape, to avoid the so-infamous "registry accumulation" process which makes windows terrible slow in time. I use to backup/restore the registry parts, before/after doing strange things with the computer and/or accessing strange internet barracks/furnaces/lumbermills/etc. I frequently do reverse engineering on viruses (still own a "small" collection with over 3000 families of little bastards, and I have gained tremendous knowledge

The second layer consists of usual applications, from which the first is my favorite virtualization program, mt favourite browser (no, not I/E!), my favourite spreadsheet (yes, Excel, the only good program Microsoft ever did ), (I don't use Word so much, in fact I almost never use it, but I have to install it, for reading work-related stuff). For work there are plenty of other things, CAD software (solidworks, autocad, protel, etc), DevEnv's (Visual C, winavr, code warior, code composer studio, some disassemblers/decompilers), pdf reader/writer, bla bla bla. For home I have some more stuff like my favorite trading package (yes, MetaTrader from Metaquotes), vlc player, winamp. There is plenty of other stuff too. Usually for the most things I do, I use a virtual box with all things installed into it, which can be destroyed and replaced very fast when something goes wrong, so I don't need to repeat all this laborious installations very often.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 08:05   #7
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

145128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
but Apple tricked the kids into calling them Apps.
There used to be a clear distinction between "system" and "application" programming.

I suspect the late Jobs had something to do with any confusion subsequently generated.

D
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 13:24   #8
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·3·1,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
I suspect the late Jobs had something to do with any confusion subsequently generated.
Naw... It was good old M$, who blurred the lines between OS and browser trying to avoid Antitrust laws...

"Let's make the browser part of the operating system!" A great idea (not)....
Old 2012-08-10, 17:42   #9
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

1C3516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Naw... It was good old M$, who blurred the lines between OS and browser trying to avoid Antitrust laws...

"Let's make the browser part of the operating system!" A great idea (not)....
Google: "Let's make the browser the entire operating system itself!"
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 17:53   #10
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

1158210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
Pre-Linux Gnu: "Let's make the text editor the entire operating system itself!"
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 17:54   #11
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

940210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
Marc Andreessen: "[Netscape will soon reduce Windows to] a poorly debugged set of device drivers."

That's about when Microsoft shat themselves, and realized they needed to force their user-base to use their browser rather than anyone else's. Even today you can't apply security updates to Winblows without using Internet Exploder...

They almost were broken up under antitrust laws because of this, but then the government changed, and Bush gave them a "get out of jail free" card....